Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2011, 21:10   #1

Gray Water Tank Requirements in US ?

What waters in the U.S. do not permit the discharge of gray water (water contaning soaps, detergents, and the like, from onboard showers, sinks, dishwashers, etc.), thus necessitating the use of a gray water holding tank?
sgkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 22:00   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/vwd/vsdnozone.cfm
Old 18-10-2011, 06:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Gray Water Tanks Requirements in U.S.?

That list only pertains to "black water" (toilet waste)...

Gray water ("galley, bath and shower water") holding is required only on fewer than half a dozen closed (not accessible from the sea) inland lakes. It may be legally discharged directly overboard in all coastal waters and navigable inland waterways.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 07:01   #4

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Is discharge from an MSD I considered legal in no dumping zones?
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 07:37   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Gray Water Tank Requirements in US ?

How about elsewhere in the world? My boat has 2 large grey water tanks I'd love to convert to yet more diesel. But I've heard they may be nice to have in some places. Opinions?
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 07:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Is discharge from an MSD I considered legal in no dumping zones?
Nope. "No Discharge" means NO discharge (of toilet waste only), treated OR untreated. Holding tank only. "No discharge" does NOT include gray water.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 08:56   #7

Boat: Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Nope. "No Discharge" means NO discharge (of toilet waste only), treated OR untreated. Holding tank only. "No discharge" does NOT include gray water.
True, but a shame.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 07:52   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post

Yes, it continues to grow under the guidance of so called "save the harbor" groups. And yes, of course there are pump outs available..............most everywhere but not ANYTIME! Where I dock, the town has free pump out, Saturday and Sunday MORNINGS ONLY exclusive of holiday weekends.

And yes, one can obey the law by simply going out to the three mile limit. But here in southern Massachusetts, the 3 mile limits begin at the outer shores of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Islands. So for us, that trip is almost 20 miles out and twenty miles back!

And of course the local city and towns discharge waste through 10' diameter pipes when heavy rains occur. The wackies forced laws to prevent cities and towns from even dumping snow into the ocean....but not their poop.

There are the notions that all boat owners are rich, boats are a major contributor to pollution, all boats should be heavily taxed.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:16   #9

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
How about elsewhere in the world? My boat has 2 large grey water tanks I'd love to convert to yet more diesel. But I've heard they may be nice to have in some places. Opinions?
Noonsite should have info on other countries. I know Greece in particular is very strict on wash water discharge or even throwing a bucket of soapy water overboard. I have heard of very heavy fines being imposed.

Best check each location and ask authorities when you clear in.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:32   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
My boat has 2 large grey water tanks I'd love to convert to yet more diesel.
Obviously, the tank must be suitable for diesel.
Old 20-10-2011, 08:36   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Countries in the Med (Turkey and Croatia come to mind) have already implemented grey water requirements and I'm certain that the trend will continue in Europe, and as mentioned before the material might not be suitable for diesel and I'd not want to put drinking water in 'em, either.

(While officially they've instituted grew water tank requirements, they are not yet actually enforced)
Old 20-10-2011, 08:52   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Noonsite should have info on other countries. I know Greece in particular is very strict on wash water discharge or even throwing a bucket of soapy water overboard. I have heard of very heavy fines being imposed.

Thanks, didn't think to check noonsite for that. I'll have to do some research. Don't think we'll end up in europe or the Med, but you never know. I had heard that some South Pacific locations are becoming crazy about grey water as well.
My grey water tanks are stainless steel, about 60 gal. each. If I convert them it'll take me from 450 gals of diesel to about 570, a substantial increase. Maybe I'll just convert one and leave the other...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 08:51   #13
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post

Thats the sillyest thing I ever heard! In Greece there you can discharge black water in the ports and marinias - I was in Samos over the summer and the guy next to me at the town dock changed his oil and spilt about a gallon in his bildge and he just pumped it out.. right in front of a port police ! - Turkey has the law but as of today has not enforced it-because they have few places where boats can "drop" there load
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 13:16   #14

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Thats the sillyest thing I ever heard! In Greece there you can discharge black water in the ports and marinias - I was in Samos over the summer and the guy next to me at the town dock changed his oil and spilt about a gallon in his bildge and he just pumped it out.. right in front of a port police ! - Turkey has the law but as of today has not enforced it-because they have few places where boats can "drop" there load
It might be the silliest thing you have ever heard but a friend of mine cruising out of the UK did some clothes washing on the deck, tipped the wash water over the side and was promptly arrested, spent two nights in the lock up and was fined and given 48 hours to leave the port. I do not remember the port name. This was few years ago and things may have changed but like a lot of countries each area has it's own authorative bureaucrats who interpret the law the way they like. the following extract taken from Boatwide S.L website on Environment and Legislation.

Greece and Turkey

Whilst there are no stated requirements. It seems that foreign boats are targeted and penalised for any type of discharge. Note especially that sink water, shower water discharge in a port will surely bring the officials onboard.

Which tends to back up my argument on local enforcement.....no regulations but they can and do what they please.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water