Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 12:50   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Gray water holding tank? Oi 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
This is a strange discussion. Does ANYONE own an inboard sailboat over 25' that has no through hull fittings? Is it a surprise to anyone that seawater enters through hull fittings when the seacock is open and that seawater seeks its own level inside of attached hoses and other plumbing?
He is speaking of gray water from a sink. I doubt it should be discharging through a seacock below the waterline. I would expect a direct discharge overboard above the waterline or pumped from his shower pan.
I have no idea what may be required for gray water on some inland waters? Water coming in at the cabin sole level from a disconnected hose doesn't sound healthy.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 13:41   #32

Yes this is a strange discussion and yes I am surprised that there are holes in the bottom of the boat! This is my first boat over 25 ft so I have not had through hull fittings. No I'm not surprised that the water is level with the water line of the boat. That's just simple physics. I am surprised iat the hole in the bottom of the boat. The shower pan is below the waterline so the same system cannot possibly be in play. How do you people keep anyone on this site? If everyone knows everything but me why is anyone here?
Gkusaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 14:07   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkusaj View Post
Yes this is a strange discussion and yes I am surprised that there are holes in the bottom of the boat! This is my first boat over 25 ft so I have not had through hull fittings. No I'm not surprised that the water is level with the water line of the boat. That's just simple physics. I am surprised iat the hole in the bottom of the boat. The shower pan is below the waterline so the same system cannot possibly be in play. How do you people keep anyone on this site? If everyone knows everything but me why is anyone here?
I may have totally misunderstood you. where was the water coming from the sink or the other end?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 14:26   #34

Boat: 29 ft

Some showers have a litttle sump with a pump that pumps the shower water out of the hull. The pump sometimes is operated by a water level switch or can be operated by a dedicated switch. Not sure if there were solutions with a manual pump or connected to a pump toilet, but in 1976, that might all have been possible.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 14:36   #35

It is a below waterline thru Hull drain for the sink. When I disconnected the hose water came rushing in. Now that I understand how it works it makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense to me is having a hole in the bottom of your boat:-) I have three. One for each sink and one to draw water for the head. Information on this boat is not as easy to come by as I would think. The shower sump makes sense, except for having a completely different system to drain the shower water. I have torn pretty much every part of this boat down to Nuts and Bolts there's not really any place left it could be hiding. The shower pan is the only thing I haven't taken off. I was hoping to avoid it
Gkusaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 15:07   #36

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I may have totally misunderstood you.
Yes, you may have. Fittings which allow gray water to drain overboard are certainly not uncommon in boats that predate the use of gray water holding tanks.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 15:55   #37

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
It is a below waterline thru Hull drain for the sink. When I disconnected the hose water came rushing in. Now that I understand how it works it makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense to me is having a hole in the bottom of your boat:-) I have three. One for each sink and one to draw water for the head. Information on this boat is not as easy to come by as I would think. The shower sump makes sense, except for having a completely different system to drain the shower water. I have torn pretty much every part of this boat down to Nuts and Bolts there's not really any place left it could be hiding. The shower pan is the only thing I haven't taken off. I was hoping to avoid it
For what it's worth, you could try adding water to the shower sump, in moderation, and see where it goes. May require some gymnastics though.
Some boats were built with a small inline pump connected to the sump thence overboard.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 16:06   #38

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
What doesn't make sense to me is having a hole in the bottom of your boat:-) I have three.
Only 3 ? I have 9, 2 transducers, 1 direct OB head discharge, 1 macerator discharge, 1 head sink/shower discharge, 1 head intake, 1 galley sink, 1 engine raw water, and the propshaft. And I'll bet that is below average.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 16:31   #39

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Gkusaj, welcome to the exciting and sometimes terrifying world of maintaining (figuring out and fixing) a boat. Sailing is the easy part. I was lucky enough to start on a simple boat similar to a Sunfish. One sail, one halyard and one sheet. When I bought my present boat I already had close to 30 years on several boats I owned by then. All of them were much smaller and less complicated. Boat plumbing, Diesel engines, refrigeration, electronic navigation, anchoring systems, radar, vhf radio, autopilot were all new to me and a bit overwhelming even though I knew I loved sailing. One of the many books I found useful was Know Your Boat by David Kroenke. It is not specific to my boat or to yours but it does give one a good starting point in getting familiar with keeping and maintaining a boat.

By the way horses have always scared me a little. When I was a kid my older brother owned a quarter horse that was only partially broken. He had a habit of racing back to the barn and trying to scrape the rider off on the barn door, or rearing up and falling backwards on the rider. No, not for me. I like my boat better...even the 44 horses I keep running down below.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 16:43   #40

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
This is a strange discussion. Does ANYONE own an inboard sailboat over 25' that has no through hull fittings? Is it a surprise to anyone that seawater enters through hull fittings when the seacock is open and that seawater seeks its own level inside of attached hoses and other plumbing?
I’ve got 12......
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 16:46   #41

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I have two like that one in the galley and one in the head. Everything has a valve except the log, for obvious reasons.
Old 12-10-2019, 16:49   #42

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Only 3 ? I have 9, 2 transducers, 1 direct OB head discharge, 1 macerator discharge, 1 head sink/shower discharge, 1 head intake, 1 galley sink, 1 engine raw water, and the propshaft. And I'll bet that is below average.
You may be correct. I have 3 more. The intake for the air conditioner heat exchanger, the intake for the washdown pump, and the intake for a bait well.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 17:12   #43

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Gray water holding tank? Oi 28

Speed. Forward head and gray tank discharge. Forward head and galley salt rinse and anchor washdown intake. Watermaker intake. Galley gray water tank discharge. Centerboard actuator rod gland. Engine cooling intake. Propellor shaft. Port cockpit drain. Starboard cockpit and bilge pump drain. Port scupper drain starboard scupper drain. Aft head intake. Aft head and gray water discharge. Rudder shaft.
46 feet 14 holes. Yes they ALL need to be inspected constantly. Closed when not in use. Lubricated and maintained.
I inspect the hoses and fittings on a regular basis for sure. And lubricate and exercise the seacocks.
I have a manual bilge pump that I use. I count the strokes to empty every day I’m aboard. There is an electric pump too but the manual pump is my canary.
All boats are just one mistake away from sinking.
I try to not make that one mistake.
You will too. As you get to know your boat better you will become more familiar and comfortable.
Make a diagram of it all. Make sure you have plugs near the holes.

And go sailing !!!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 07:17   #44

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Dude, you're way out of line here.
Imagine I asked you how to steer a horse or some other equally uninformed question.
Everyone has been really helpful even when your original question was poorly constructed and based on naive assumptions.

I strongly suggest reading 'Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship' cover to cover. There's just a lot of basic knowledge you need exposure to.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 09:55   #45
rla

Quote:
Hi, I need to make a couple of comments for you to think about and not get stressed about. I think you will have other seacocks/holes below the water level !
1. engine intake
2. 2 cockpit drains
3. paddle wheel speed log
4. some depth sounders

It is not usual to drain sinks below the water line, but some do it to stop the nasty stains the dirty water leaves on the hull, especially if you drink that revolting product tea !!! Yes I'm a Brit who hates it!!
I would be surprised if your 25ft boat didn't have the above holes in it too..

Meant to be helpful, not critical but re read your initial post and you might appreciate where some of the comments flew from!!

cheers
rla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray water, holding tank, water