Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 09:07   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You can help avoid overfilling by putting a short tube in the "fill" inlet. If it extends down two inches into the tank, for example, when the fuel gets that high it will bubble back in the neck when you are filling it, leaving some airspace for expansion in the tank. And you'll probably hear the tone of the pouring fuel change as it nears the neck.

More problematic is the aluminum tank, it doesn't do well in salt air. It will show white corrosion and pitting within the first year and not look pretty at all, unless you have that tank anodized or put some kind of protective finish on it. Anodizing isn't cheap, but gold anodizing would make it look sort of like shiny brass.

Might be cheaper overall to buy a brass or stainless tank, even though both of those might still benefit from some protection or polish.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 16:37   #17

Hmmm. Given the prices I'm working with ($150 or so), I might be best off talking to a custom tank maker and seeing if I can't get exactly what I want custom made. Thanks for the replies everyone; I'll comb through all of this and see if it makes sense.

In regards to the cost over a 12v pump, I very much agree that a gravity tank will be more expensive. But I really like simple systems, and I'd much spend a couple of bucks on quality (same idea to me as a wind vane vs. auto pilot for long term usage).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 17:59   #18

Boat: 44 footer
https://www.azracemart.com/?p=uvl&id=164&incid=45
7 gallons, 89 bucks.

Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030
4 gallons 139 bucks. search part number SUM-293204
4 gallons 139 bucks = RCI-2030A
1 gallon 89 bucks = RCI-2010A

Your best bet for finding a used moon tank would be to place a wanted ad here: Wanted - THE H.A.M.B.

I'd call up fire extinguisher refillers and see if they have any aluminum bottles in the size range your wanting. Possibly a little aluminum dive tank would work. Though it'd take some drilling/tapping for new fittings to work. (it'd look awful nautical anyhow! )

Low Rider stuff:

Custom Auto Parts, Airbag Suspensions, Rollpans, Bumpers - Fender Bender International
3 gallons for 89 bucks. Aluminum, with mounting brackets.

Mothers mag wheel polish, and car wax will keep it looking nice. Hit it once every few months and if its aluminum it'll shine.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gravity-out