Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 11:24   #16

Re: Going to the Dark Side...Head Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

I'd search for another boat. Those odors may have permeated into so much of the interior that it will be very difficult to eliminate them.
I'd take the Krogen, stink or no stink. Sweeeet darkside vessel.
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:11   #17
Marine Service Provider

It looks like I'll get Sealand hoses, and the Raritan Marine Elegance toilet.

Excellent toilet choice, but not the best hose choice. I've been on half a dozen boats on which SeaLand's "OdorSafe" hose had permeated in less than a year and have heard of many more. Raritan's Saniflex hose Raritan SaniFlex hose is twice the price, but I've yet to hear--and neither has Raritan--of a single odor permeation failure in the 6-7 years it's been on the market (website still says "new" but they've had it out that long). It has one major advantage over every other hose: it's so flexible that it can make a U-turn without kinking, which can make installation a LOT easier.

Get a quote for both from Hopkins-Carter marine...Parks Masterson (Hop-Car on this site and trawlerforum.com) owns the company and is a major supporter of both sites...his prices are as good, and often better, than any I've found elsewhere.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:42   #18

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

Thanks, Peggie.
Got it!
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 13:12   #19

By the way, Peggie, what is the difference between the Marine Elegance and the Atlantes Freedom?
Old 26-09-2016, 15:36   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttskie View Post
By the way, Peggie, what is the difference between the Marine Elegance and the Atlantes Freedom?
Size and price:

The average price retail price for the Atlantes with the most popular options is about $1000...The Elegance is available for under $700. Adding the "SeaFresh" option (allows the toilet to use either pressurized fresh water or sea water at will) to either one is another $250+

Size....the "small" Atlantes Freedom bowl is 19" front-back, the "elongated" bowl is 21.5" front-back...both are 17" tall (standard household toilets are 15") Either is too big to fit in most marine head compartments. The Marine Elegance bowl is only one size: 18" it's available in a short version for heads in which the toilet is on a riser and a 15" household height. It fits all but the smallest marine head compartments.
Old 26-09-2016, 15:41   #21

Thank you, Peggie. Marine Elegance it is.
I very much appreciate your very gracious help.
Old 26-09-2016, 18:01   #22
Marine Service Provider

You're quite welcome. If you haven't already joined trawlerforum.com, it would make an excellent addition to this site.
Old 26-09-2016, 18:14   #23

Yes, I am on trawlerforum.com as well.
Old 27-09-2016, 05:17   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Excellent toilet choice, but not the best hose choice. I've been on half a dozen boats on which SeaLand's "OdorSafe" hose had permeated in less than a year and have heard of many more. Raritan's Saniflex hose Raritan SaniFlex hose is twice the price, but I've yet to hear--and neither has Raritan--of a single odor permeation failure in the 6-7 years it's been on the market (website still says "new" but they've had it out that long). It has one major advantage over every other hose: it's so flexible that it can make a U-turn without kinking, which can make installation a LOT easier.

IIRC, you've sometimes mentioned another, less flexible, hose that hasn't been known to permeate, too? If so, and if it's less expensive than Saniflex, OP may benefit from a reminder about that one, too...

-Chris
Old 27-09-2016, 06:06   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttskie View Post
It's true, I'm going to a trawler ( Krogen39 ) and during my pre-purchase inspection became acutely ( as in nauseatingly ) aware of an unpleasant odor never experienced on my Pacific Seacraft 37. It has a VacuFlush toilet, which was rebuilt 2 years ago, and has 10 year old sanitation hoses. I cannot occupy this vessel until it has no odor and the system is cleaned and hoses replaced. Will this be sufficient for a "new condition" system, without any odor? Any other things I can do to zero-time the sanitation system?
You may surmise that selling my pristine sailboat was an attempt to keep the interest of my spousal unit in anything boating related. I must insure that the head in this, otherwise stunning, trawler offers no reason for olfactory objection.
First priority purchase?

This book!

Peggy Hall has the answers to most boat odor problems.

Buy the book. No one, including guests, likes a smelly head or boat, or boater.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 07:39   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
IIRC, you've sometimes mentioned another, less flexible, hose that hasn't been known to permeate, too? If so, and if it's less expensive than Saniflex, OP may benefit from a reminder about that one, too...-Chris
Trident 101/102 (identical except for color) is a double-walled rubber hose that's been on the market for about 20 years without a single reported odor permeation failure, although I've seen a few anecdotal claims that it has but because Trident makes several sanitation hoses with similar "model" #s, they may or may not have actually been 101/102. It was the only hose I recommended for years. It does have one drawback though...it's as stiff as an ironing board, making it necessary to cut the hose and insert inline radius fittings in any installation with bends tighter than about 10 degrees. 'Cuz heating any hose to make it bend tighter than it wants to bend willingly can stretch the outside of the radius enough to tear and weaken the inside of the radius enough to kink.

I kept a close on the Raritan SaniFlex from the day it went on the market, watching for any failure reports, anecdotal or otherwise...have yet to see a single one and Raritan, who's always been scrupulously honest with me about any problems with any of their equipment, insists they've not received any either...so after 6-7 years, I'm comfortable recommending it. Yes, it's twice the price of Trident 101/102, but if you have to use more than one inline fitting, when you factor in the cost of those plus hose clamps, not to mention the additional labor and aggravation factor, it's not really THAT much more expensive after all, especially if the owner paying a yard to install the system instead of doing it himself.

Besides, Hop-Car is pretty generous with discounts to forum members, which also helps.
Old 28-09-2016, 14:28   #27

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36

If you do decide to buy the trawler and the head smell does not go away after you replace all the hoses. If the interior of the boat is permeated with that head oder you can use natural charcoal to absorb the orders and eliminate them. Once on our 25 ft sailboat we had an outboard tank expand and rupture from the heat and spill raw gasoline in the bilge. It soaked into the wood and fiberglass by the time we discovered the catastrophe. So after removing all the gasoline we placeed milk crates filled with natural charcoal in the bilge, cabin and cockpit locker. We left it there for a week. When we returned the smell was completely gone and never returned. You have to get the natural charcoal, briquettes will not work. Good luck....
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head