Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2022, 13:25   #1

Boat: Cavalier 39 Mk1
Gas hose length limitations?

Is there a limit on the length of the lpg (propane) rubber hose? Some installations go from rubber hose to copper pipe back to rubber hose at the stove; I’m thinking it is better to do away with all the joints and just go rubber hose all the way. Yes, the hose needs to be replaced every few years, but it doesn’t seem to be too expensive. This is in New Zealand (BS EN 599/C AS/NZS 1869/C standards), but the common-sense part, which I’m more concerned with…, is universal.
I’m planning on having the aluminium cylinder outside on the pushpit, and the hose to run through an inverted J access pipe via the lazarette etc, mounted internally just under the toerail. About 6 or 7 m in length.
Should this be ok?
Thanks in advance.
JeremyFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 13:32   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Gas hose length limitations?

Rubber hose is much more prone to damage, hence it's common practice and in many jurisdictions legally required to use the minimum length needed and do the rest in copper tubing.
Old 08-12-2022, 13:53   #3

Boat: Nordic 44

I have one rubber hose that is 35 feet long, about 11 meters and another about 20 feet. As for longevity, I was told to replace it every 10 years. At about 15 I replaced them. Cut them open and they looked like new.

IMO the joints along with copper corrosion in a salt air environment are more problematic than all rubber. For physical protection I wrapped the hose in split electrical loom in more exposed areas. That hose is very tough, double layered and hard to cut.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 14:09   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I believe ABYC specifies no connections within the cabin other than at the appliance, because connections are the most common source of leaks. The tank manifild connection is to be in a vented propane locker. So from a common sense perspective, at least one group believes that long hose runs are, in fact, the simplest, safest way.

If you make several connection is the cabin (using copper adds two) just make sure they are very good and accessible for leak testing. Leaks can develop over time with hose.
Old 08-12-2022, 14:29   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I believe ABYC specifies no connections within the cabin other than at the appliance, because connections are the most common source of leaks. The tank manifild connection is to be in a vented propane locker. So from a common sense perspective, at least one group believes that long hose runs are, in fact, the simplest, safest way.

If you make several connection is the cabin (using copper adds two) just make sure they are very good and accessible for leak testing. Leaks can develop over time with hose.
Another area where I and a good part of the rest of the world ignore the ABYC.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 14:52   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyFowler View Post
Is there a limit on the length of the lpg (propane) rubber hose? Some installations go from rubber hose to copper pipe back to rubber hose at the stove; I’m thinking it is better to do away with all the joints and just go rubber hose all the way. Yes, the hose needs to be replaced every few years, but it doesn’t seem to be too expensive. This is in New Zealand (BS EN 599/C AS/NZS 1869/C standards), but the common-sense part, which I’m more concerned with…, is universal.
I’m planning on having the aluminium cylinder outside on the pushpit, and the hose to run through an inverted J access pipe via the lazarette etc, mounted internally just under the toerail. About 6 or 7 m in length.
Should this be ok?
Thanks in advance.
Mine is 25f long, and most of the hose is inside a PVC electric conduit, its easier and safer to secure the conduit - pay attention how you secure the hose, as vibration could chafe it.
I used a bulkhead joint as the one below to pass the hose thru deck, its water tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blkhd joint.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	268465  
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 15:31   #7

Boat: Columbia 36

When I converted my 41 footer to propane, I needed about 32 feet of hose. The longest single length offered by Trident was 35 feet, which is what I used. That was a lot cheaper than having a custom length made up, and "close enough".
I was pretty surprised the first time I saw a French built boat with it's shut off valve and several connections inside the cabin. I knew AYBC didn't allow that, was surprised France did. I don't know how long you could actually go without problems, but since the longest premade length I could find was 35 feet, that must be pretty close. Go too far and you won't have enough pressure to properly run the burners. It's only 3 psi to start with as I recall.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 16:05   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Rubber hose is much more prone to damage, hence it's common practice and in many jurisdictions legally required to use the minimum length needed and do the rest in copper tubing.
Reference for those legal requirements please.
Old 08-12-2022, 16:10   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Another area where I and a good part of the rest of the world ignore the ABYC.
Yup ! Lots of people around with that attitude ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11 PROPANE 10.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	268466   Click image for larger version

Name:	11 propane yellow.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	268467  

Name:	PROPANE.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	268468   Click image for larger version

Name:	propane 300.gif
Views:	72
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	268469  

Name:	gas to propane furnace.gif
Views:	102
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	268470   Click image for larger version

Name:	LPG Far Reach 2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	268471  

Old 08-12-2022, 16:29   #10

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

They are all over the world, but perhaps not in NZ?
Anyway, the Parker-Hannifin hose is available in several inside diameters if you are worried about pressure drop.
I believe that this hose might meet your specs.
It's an armored hose, would probably need an axe to damage it.
Compatible fittings of all persuasion no problem.

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/lpg-gas-...89-1989-type-1
Old 08-12-2022, 16:44   #11

Here in Australia there are basically 3 groups of rules
1 AMSA. requires all piping to be copper or stainless steel supported every 500 mm in insulated fairleads with a flexible hose no longer than 1.5 meters at the appliance and no more than a single appliance on a direct run. Must be tested and installed by a qualified gasfitter , compliance plate and certificate must be available, survey testing annually...... there are many more pages.
2. RV’s and mobile homes. Again, must be fitted by a qualified gas fitter and have a compliance plate..... all copper piping supported at 300 mm intervals, reissue of certificate and test report upon sale of vehicle. No flex hose longer than 1.5 meters
3. domestic Lpg. All of the above but the runs are all copper to the regulator and cylinder and a different authority.
There is industrial commercial as well but That’s a whole other thing.
AMSA is definitely the strictest regarding LPG and there’s a lot of reading in both the official regs and individual SMS’s and the 3 instances above are the barest outlines , there’s much much more.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 20:40   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.aucklandgasservices.co.n...-lpg-compliant
Old 08-12-2022, 21:41   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

The steel or copper pipe requirement is probably do that if there's a fire in a compartment the gas line runs through, unlike a rubber hose, the pipe wont burn through and gas feed the fire.

I vaguely recall that in Australia you can use a hose as long as it does not exceed a certain length (Could be wrong, it's a pretty vague recollection)
Old 09-12-2022, 00:43   #14

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Do it properly with copper pipes with proper connectors and short lengths of hose at the cooker and the regulator.

Would a long hose going through a bulkhead actually be legal in NZ?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:33   #15

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Do it properly with copper pipes with proper connectors and short lengths of hose at the cooker and the regulator.

Would a long hose going through a bulkhead actually be legal in NZ?
I agree with this. That’s how I did my propane system. And it used to be much more extensive. It ran a refrigerator, a small heater, a cooktop.

The regulator and all of the connections off of it are located outside on deck in a vented deck box. Each appliance had its own run of copper.

two of those appliances had flare fittings on them ready to go. I really liked that and think all appliances should come that way. That meant there were no chances of leaks

The cooktop, however, required a short rubber hose connection at the end which I didn’t like as much. But it has lasted all these years. It’s the only thing that is still hooked up. The other ones were phased out.

A lot of people are anti-copper for some reason. I can’t figure it out. The stuff is fantastic and lasts decades without leaking. It may get ugly looking on the outside, but there is still a thick wall of metal there. I used it for my propane system and for my steering system. It works especially well for steering because it doesn’t expand and contract like a synthetic hoses do. It creates for more responsive and better working steering system. And in fact, my steering system is not warranted by the manufacturer unless you use copper.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote