Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2016, 16:57   #16

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Re: Galley sink won't drain unless we move the boat

I had a similar issue, solved it by plugging one side, shoving a water hose down it, then the other, back and forth a couple times. Have to do it occasionally again.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 20:28   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5

I think the poster who mentioned the airlock is on to something. I took the whole assembly apart today and there was no clog. I did, however, rearrange the T fitting that joined the two sink drainpipes into one. As it was, the two pipes met head on (the top of the T) and both had to make a 90 degree turn to head out of the boat. I rotated the joint so that one sinks drains straight down and the other Ts into it at 90 degrees. This helped somewhat. We're not draining instantly, but much improved.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 23:06   #18
cruiser

Install a Whale gulper pump. Problem will be solved, your boat should have been designed with one to begin with.

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pro...yID=Gulper-220
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 03:42   #19

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaywego View Post
I think the poster who mentioned the airlock is on to something. I took the whole assembly apart today and there was no clog. I did, however, rearrange the T fitting that joined the two sink drainpipes into one. As it was, the two pipes met head on (the top of the T) and both had to make a 90 degree turn to head out of the boat. I rotated the joint so that one sinks drains straight down and the other Ts into it at 90 degrees. This helped somewhat. We're not draining instantly, but much improved.
Did you inspect the drain pipes all the way to the seacock?

The whole idea of the boat needing a galley pump just doesn't make sense. There are hundreds of identical Hunters and out of all of them yours is the only one that needs a galley pump ? Something isn't right.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 04:00   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Did you inspect the drain pipes all the way to the seacock?

The whole idea of the boat needing a galley pump just doesn't make sense. There are hundreds of identical Hunters and out of all of them yours is the only one that needs a galley pump ? Something isn't right.
The only thing that isn't right is that Hunter didn't design the system properly and install the drain pump to begin with. Our Hunter 450 also drained slow, and it was only when we used our Oyster sink for the first time with the Gulper pump installed, that we realized the performance difference.

So you can either deal with the issue one of two ways.... put up with the design problem or solve it.
Old 20-06-2016, 05:47   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

How much stuff do you have loaded on the boat? Where are you sitting in relation to your design waterline? We also have a problem with the sink draining occasionally but almost always because we are loaded up for the Bahamas.

On other occasions we have had fish and crabs make homes in the pipe. I guess they like to eat the stuff that comes out! We have a regular schedule of closing the port then filling with vinegar - let sit overnight then reopen. This usually takes care of the issue. Also, you can use Raritan CP and various other non-harsh (not drano!) type cleaners to keep the hose clean.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 07:36   #22

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Too small a hose, fitting or thru-hull could also cause this slow draining.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 11:56   #23

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

I have a dual sink in the galley, connected by a " T" to a single line to a through hull about 16 inches below the water line the bottom of the sink is about the same above the water line and the "T" is about 3 inches bellow that. When healed t stbd with the galley on the port and high side I hear a little gurgling in the sink....some times...when healed to port I haven't noticed any intrusion of sea water.

I have had some drain problems a couple times when I had to be away for an extended period. There was some growth in the lower line and a film build up due to evaporation. The drain wasn't completely clogged, just restricted. but there was no drainage, even with a full sink and a plunger to help get the flow going. I cleaned the growth from the underside of the boat and went back topside and plunged the sink drain whilst plugging the second sink drain and the flow started and was continuous till the next time I left for an extended period. I've found using the sink regularly, that the fresh water helps keep the marine growth down. In a fresh water invioenment???I don't know. I've learned that fresh water is lighter than salt water and through hydraulics when you restrict the contact area betwixt the two mediums the fresh water will float, causing an effective block. Hence the problem in my head sink, where the drain hose and thru hull are only .5 " whilst sitting at anchor and light usage the fresh water stays in the drain and evaporates, causing a lime scale build up. Which I could take care of if I poured a little LSR down the drain once in a while....nope ain't happenin'.....that would go into the sea. I've just eliminated the use of that sink till I can either enlarge the drain pipe or relocate the sea cock to above the water line, which I have about 14 inches of room to do. I'll also do that to the fwd stateroom, but not till haul out time. LOL

I don't think I given a concrete solution to your problem. But I hope the knowledge I've acquired and shared and the process I use, will lead you to a solution to your dilemma.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 13:19   #24

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Kenomac is right about using a Whale Gulper. On my heavy displacement boat the waterline is at the bottom of the sinks, plus or minus based on loading and fresh/salt water. I have tried several pumps but had terrible results until the Gulper. The effluent contains both fats and detergent, which can be a challenge. The detergent dries out rubber impellers, then they stick, pop fuse, etc. The Gulper goes nearly 10 years between maintenance.

Instead of using a T connection I use a Y so both sinks drain to the pump on either tack.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 15:50   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For what it's worth, we at one time owned a boat with three through-hulls below the waterline: toilet in and out, and engine in. All the sinks had hand pumpouts. The system worked will for us for the 18 years of cruising in her. The pumps were the same kind people buy to extract used engine oil from the sump. INexpensive, simple, and safe.

Ann
Old 20-06-2016, 16:08   #26

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
For what it's worth, we at one time owned a boat with three through-hulls below the waterline: toilet in and out, and engine in. All the sinks had hand pumpouts. The system worked will for us for the 18 years of cruising in her. The pumps were the same kind people buy to extract used engine oil from the sump. INexpensive, simple, and safe.
Ann
That is so old school. If you had not described it I would never have imagined such a setup. I saw a modern 40' something boat once that had 23 thru hulls below the waterline.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 17:24   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
That's exactly what we have in our head sink Ann. I love it! I'd love to install the same set up at our galley sink. It works great!
Old 20-06-2016, 20:15   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I have seen heavy boats - Cape George 36 for one - that had the hull deep in the water and they had to have a pump to evacuate the galley sink.

But a Hunter has a lot less hull body below the waterline and has higher freeboard. There should not be a problem with gravity draining your sink. The sink bottom is well above the waterline.

I would think the issue is a clogged hose or through hull and/or too small a diameter hose.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 03:29   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Guy,

Three through hulls may seem old school to you, and it certainly is, but it makes life a whole heck of a lot easier when you're looking for why it is that you are sinking 1000 mi from land, it is easy to eliminate the through hulls as sources, and carry on with your search for leaks.

As for a boat with 23 through hulls below the waterline, you could sink before you found the leak.

If that's the new school, please, Lord, give me the old school!

P.S. I don't want to sink at sea and have to call for help, or accept the consequences of not asking for help.

Ymmv.

Ann
Old 21-06-2016, 03:55   #30
cruiser

I vote in favor of new school conveniences. What's wrong with installing a $170 Whale Gulper pump that will save you from hand pumping your sink for the next ten years?

It's not like you get some sort of prize for living in the past without lives modern ammentities.

Tags
galley