Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 09:54   #1
Marine Service Provider

Galley Maid Stove service???

Anyone have any idea about refurbishing an old propane stove? I pulled out the original 1980 two burner Galley Maid (They don't make stoves anymore but shows them on their barebones web site) propane stove from my boat and have not had much luck finding a dealer or service provider to take it apart, clean and inspect it so I can confidently reinstall it without worrying that the innards might be corroded or leaking. Galley maid says they don't even have parts anymore. I am in Maryland. Thanks
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:03   #2

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Galley Maid Stove service???

I had exactly the same problem and after lots of research, gave up and got a new Force 10. Expensive, but the old Galley Maid's oven started to shoot flames in strange directions. Better to pay for a new reliable stove than blow up the boat.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:03   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

It can be done but I don't anyone in your area. I had a 25 year old 3 burner Force 10 refurbished and it now works like it did when brand new.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:09   #4
Marine Service Provider

Thanks to sck5 and Vasco for their quick replies. I am waiting for Galley Maid's engineer to call me back with any ideas he or she may have. Sure I can buy a new stove (at least one BOAT unit) or perhaps even a used one but since GalleyMaid made a lot of stoves for a long time, I thought that somebody might have had some some good experiences with servicing their old stove. It would be a terrible shame to simply dispose of all that valuable stainless steel....???
Old 09-09-2015, 12:05   #5

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Any chance of putting it on consignment at a marine second-hand store? As you said, many were made, and someone could at least probaby use the parts.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:42   #6
Marine Service Provider

Well, I could put it for sale at Bacon's with about a dozen other stoves and might get 50% of a couple of hundred...if it sells...but whoever buys it will be in the same situation I am in and I will need to fork over a thousand or more for a new one...an RV service place will charge me $50 just to look at it and to hook it up--and if it needs new parts...well, there are none...
Old 09-09-2015, 13:35   #7

Boat: various over the years

Look around your area for a propane dealer who also sells and services household and / or restaurant stoves.

The guts of many gas stoves are "generic." The service person may be able to overhaul it using parts they have on hand.
ex-12m-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 13:51   #8
Marine Service Provider

I've already checked with propane appliance dealers and have described what the rv dealer told me.... Let me be very clear---I have a Galleymaid stove--they are no longer being built...there are no spare parts..of course I can clean it and take it apart. There are many stoves for sale at Bacon's in Annapolis--many--all old and none guaranteed and all with a 10 day return policy. But I already have one! I have been trying to find out specifically if anyone can help with GalleyMaid stoves. I appreciate all the replies but so far the first response from sck5 may prove to be the most appropriate response...I will take it apart and check everything and get back to the forum. If I can repair the existing one somehow it will save me over a thousand dollars......I will report back if I learn anything but so far...nada! Thanks to all for your help
Old 09-09-2015, 13:53   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

If you do manage to get it re-furbished make sure to have it fitted with flame failure devices (thermocouples). This is a feature I have seen missing on old Galley Maids and I consider them absolutely necessary (So does ABYC).
Old 09-09-2015, 14:34   #10
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Boatpoker---very good advice...

Tags
galley, service