Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 21:39   #1

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93
Fully automatic watermaker?

Does anyone have a fully automatic watermaker?

Just auto start when tank is low, then auto flush etc.

Comments on how well it works?

It would allow a much smaller tank if it auto ran daily.

Paul
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 22:03   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Fully automatic watermaker?

Since watermakers are a significant power draw, you would not likely want them to start making water without your knowledge.
These are simple devices and are easily manually controlled with a few valves and switches.
Old 13-02-2021, 04:08   #3

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Since watermakers are a significant power draw, you would not likely want them to start making water without your knowledge.
These are simple devices and are easily manually controlled with a few valves and switches.
This.

Though I suppose with a PLC (programmable logic controller) you could add electrical system sensors to only turn on the watermaker when you have excess power generation.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 05:15   #4

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

I thought most watermakers had to start under low pressure and have restrictor valve wound in, and first product water discarded.
Mistake?
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 06:17   #5

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Nope.

Start at low pressure to remove any air from the flow.
Once brine outlet is bubble free switch to high pressure.
Check quality of desalinated water produced, once ok, switch to tank filling.

Guess you could add sensors to check on air in system and salinity, but not sure if it's worth the effort and reliable enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
I thought most watermakers had to start under low pressure and have restrictor valve wound in, and first product water discarded.
Mistake?
Old 13-02-2021, 06:37   #6

Boat: Hylas 54

I just turn my Spectra on. It has a salinity sensor and solenoid valve to automatically reject product until it is good. When the tank is full, I turn it off and start the auto-flush sequence. So just a couple of switches, I haven't seen the actual watermaker in weeks as it is mounted under a berth.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 07:45   #7

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

My Sea Recovery 30gph watermaker is automatic. Just turn it on and it ramps up the pressure, monitors salinity and directs the flow to the tanks once the water is of acceptable quality. It then back flushes automatically once a week. I just let it run until we feel like shutting off the generator or until the water starts trickling out of the vents signifying full tanks.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 07:54   #8

The OP wants the WM to automatatically start when his tank is low. Not the automated salinity check that is typically offered.
Old 13-02-2021, 08:54   #9

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The OP wants the WM to automatatically start when his tank is low. Not the automated salinity check that is typically offered.
Why would anyone want to do that? Do they run a big generator 24/7 or have the generator start connected to their watermaker? I can just imagine flushing the toilet at 3:00am and triggering the generator and then the watermaker!
If you have to keep the automatic start function disabled unless you are in a position to make water, what have you gained? You will still have to start the appropriate generator, balance loads and then turn on the watermaker automatic start to make water. All you have done is add another system to break down.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 19:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Why would anyone want to do that? Do they run a big generator 24/7 or have the generator start connected to their watermaker? I can just imagine flushing the toilet at 3:00am and triggering the generator and then the watermaker!
If you have to keep the automatic start function disabled unless you are in a position to make water, what have you gained? You will still have to start the appropriate generator, balance loads and then turn on the watermaker automatic start to make water. All you have done is add another system to break down.
Not me. Ask the OP.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 22:52   #11

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

You really need to be selective in where/when you make water. It's not only about power.

Unfortunately, in many harbors you only want to make water on an incoming tide - outgoing can have all kinds of nasty things in it. And some rivers have too much silt and you'll kill filters/pumps running it there.

A system smart enough to ask you if it should make water when there is a surplus of energy would be nice, but you need to be checking other details before you click the start button.

Matt
Old 13-02-2021, 23:07   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Mistake?
The recovery type watemakers (Spectra, Ecosistems, Schenker) regulate the pressure in the way the pump works and have no external valve. With an automated version of these systems, the product water is tested with a salinity prob and a solenoid opens and directs the water to the tank when it reaches a good level.

I've had manual and automated versions of this type of watermaker. While the automation can be a pain to keep working right, it's real benefit is that it is constantly checking the salinity of the water throughout the run. If midway through something happens and the salinity rises, it turns off the flow to the tanks and prevents you dumping saltwater into your potable water tank.

I added this feature to my manual Eco Sistems to keep this from happening.

Matt
Old 14-02-2021, 01:29   #13

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

My watermaker is such a simple, manually operated device that I can’t conceive of any reason to make it complicated by adding logic control, micro-processors, salinity probes.

I want it to make water when I need water. I want it to stop when I have enough water. I want it not to draw filthy water into the filters. I want it not to kill my batteries. I want it not to wake me in the middle of the night.

I want to make all these decisions myself. And when it doesn’t want to do what I ask of it, I want to know why it has chosen not to. And I always do. Anything more complex than that is not for me.

In other words, I want a fully unautomatic watermaker. YMMV.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 04:39   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Does anyone have a fully automatic watermaker?

Just auto start when tank is low, then auto flush etc.

Comments on how well it works?

It would allow a much smaller tank if it auto ran daily.

Paul

A few years back I delivered a SABA 50 that used a PLC to automate the process. It had an override for fouled harbors. I am 99% sure it was a one-off PLC.

Best move is for you contact the manufacturer for more info.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 09:23   #15

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
A few years back I delivered a SABA 50 that used a PLC to automate the process. It had an override for fouled harbors. I am 99% sure it was a one-off PLC.

Best move is for you contact the manufacturer for more info.
PLC’s are generic devices. They are surprisingly affordable and relatively easy to program. The control program is the one-off “component”.

With enough sensors. cabling (non wifi), solenoids, etc you could automate many functions on a boat. For instance, you might use an optical scan to determine water turbidity to avoid silting up your pre-filters.

High end yachts with expensive paid crews probably automate lots of things to decrease manual labor inputs. I think most CF members are far more hands on to want to bother with such systems, which certainly will add electronic complexity and expensive technician (where even available) callouts.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker