Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 10:40   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fridge Won't Cycle On and Off

It will still run if there's nothing there to trip a switch to OFF....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 13:21   #17
Marine Service Provider

Re: Fridge Won't Cycle On and Off

If compressor does not cycle off and every thing in refrigerator freezes there is a problem with thermostat, YES.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 05:45   #18

It was fine but seemed a little warmer yesterday morning
so moved the sensor closer to the box. Now it doesnt cycle anymore. Help please?
Annie2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 05:59   #19

So should the sensor be further away? Surely this would make it run longer?
Annie2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 12:03   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie2020 View Post
So should the sensor be further away? Surely this would make it run longer?
Thermostats are not the same as for controlling box temperatures in pleasure boats. All icebox conversion refrigeration thermostats must be calibrated by mechanical adjustment or on digital electronic thermostat by establishing a correction offset factor. In either case thermostat dial settings must be changed as refrigerator exterior ambient temperatures change. The control knob on conventional thermostat is numerical generally from Off then on one to ten and not in degrees temperature. A good thermostat set up on a standard day temperature would be dial setting of 3 to 4 allowing room to compensate for colder or warmer weather.

Most boat refrigerators have conventional thermostats that control when compressor runs and when it stops. These thermostats control Evaporator temperature and are not designed to control box temperature but energy efficiency because box interior heat varies. Thermostats with conventional evaporators are calibrated by the amount of thermostat sense tube in contact with evaporator. With electronic thermostats measuring box temperature requires a correction reference chart similar to a compass deviation card or rely on box calibrated thermometers.

I have always believed a good mechanical thermometer that can be calibrated to a desire temperature area of the box is best box temperature monitor.

For more info on refrigerator/freezers temperature control see TECH TIP #6 on my web site,, Kollmann Marine
Old 15-01-2020, 12:28   #21

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I have a fridge unit with a ordinary ribbed evaporator that I installed with a mechanical thermostat 6 years ago. I have just installed a very similar unit as a freezer and in the process, changed to electronic control units.

Setup is simple, installation is simple, they’re inexpensive and they work a treat.

Note: I initially had one unit controlling both fridges but this limited me to having to have both units on or off so I switched to seperate controllers so that I could have the freezer off with the fridge still running.

These controllers have a defrost function (middle button LHS) if your refrigeration system supports it (mine doesn’t).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2ADF5B40-34BB-4761-825C-FB62B00AAEF7.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	206992  
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 12:30   #22

Boat: Hunter 35.5

Annie in case you were wondering... I don't understand Richard's answer either. Dang Richard can you dumb it down for us mere mortals?
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 12:39   #23

Boat: Nordic 44

I have a couple of new Adler Barbour cold machine thermostats for sale.

For Sale: Adler Barber cold machine thermostats - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 18:11   #24
Marine Service Provider

If its the standard rollbond dry evaporator plate that comes preinstalled/ or came as a matched set with the condensing unit, and you have the thermostat that also came with the kit, then it is meant to be attached to a specific place on the evaporator plate.
You can find all this info online.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 22:50   #25
cruiser

Boat: Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I have a fridge unit with a ordinary ribbed evaporator that I installed with a mechanical thermostat 6 years ago. I have just installed a very similar unit as a freezer and in the process, changed to electronic control units.

Setup is simple, installation is simple, they’re inexpensive and they work a treat.

Note: I initially had one unit controlling both fridges but this limited me to having to have both units on or off so I switched to seperate controllers so that I could have the freezer off with the fridge still running.

These controllers have a defrost function (middle button LHS) if your refrigeration system supports it (mine doesn’t).
Great advice Cassidy, and simple. (KISS principle!)
Suggest checking cabinet for air leakage by simple placing a strong torch (Light) inside cabinet on a dark night. Note any areas light escapes and seal.
Next ditch the mechanical thermostat and replace with a digital type like Cassidy did. The digital ones are much more accurate, easy and accurate to set both cut-in and cut out temps, can be mounted remote and provide an LED temperature display so you will know what's happening in the cabinet. Look for like an Elitech STC8000 on Ebay, about $15

Thermostats of any type are simply on-off switches, temperature activated... no great mystery really.

Cheers Pete
Peter Mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 09:36   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mackay View Post
Great advice Cassidy, and simple. (KISS principle!)
Suggest checking cabinet for air leakage by simple placing a strong torch (Light) inside cabinet on a dark night. Note any areas light escapes and seal.
Next ditch the mechanical thermostat and replace with a digital type like Cassidy did. The digital ones are much more accurate, easy and accurate to set both cut-in and cut out temps, can be mounted remote and provide an LED temperature display so you will know what's happening in the cabinet. Look for like an Elitech STC8000 on Ebay, about $15

Thermostats of any type are simply on-off switches, temperature activated... no great mystery really.

Cheers Pete
If you are an armchair sailor you can live with these electronic gadgets. If you are a blue water sailor who needs redundancy refrigeration reliability carry spare control devices to keep refrigeration operating.
Old 17-01-2020, 22:21   #27
cruiser

Boat: Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
If you are an armchair sailor you can live with these electronic gadgets. If you are a blue water sailor who needs redundancy refrigeration reliability carry spare control devices to keep refrigeration operating.
Wow! Psychiatry has obviously made some serious advances! Being able to determine classes of sailors by the type of thermostat used, amazing!

Seriously, mechanical thermostats, like crank handles, are a thing of the past.
Digital controllers allow accurate setting of cut out temperature and cut in temperature, provide a digital readout, have a start delay and are not subject to ambient variation, no mercury etc. Water proof models like the STC600 suit marine application.
Digital thermostats, like mechanical ones, are simply a switch and can service any refrigerator / refrigeration application, only better.

Cheers Pete
Peter Mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 04:06   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mackay View Post
Wow! Psychiatry has obviously made some serious advances! Being able to determine classes of sailors by the type of thermostat used, amazing!

Seriously, mechanical thermostats, like crank handles, are a thing of the past.
Digital controllers allow accurate setting of cut out temperature and cut in temperature, provide a digital readout, have a start delay and are not subject to ambient variation, no mercury etc. Water proof models like the STC600 suit marine application.
Digital thermostats, like mechanical ones, are simply a switch and can service any refrigerator / refrigeration application, only better.

Cheers Pete
Pete, you may have something there about mental health of blue water sailors but I admire them. Yes I prefer reliable decisions based on equipment selection, Risk and Reward, for open water boats.
Old 18-01-2020, 04:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post

Yup....Worthwhile installation ..
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 04:30   #30
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Which is why i went over to an arduino (now esp32) as a thermostat after the mechanical broke after about 5 years, can do much, much more, costs less, easy to get spares - just get another one out of the box

JLCPCB sending a new board rather than perfboard, will allow to run at different RPM. And more than most will ever want or need, but sends all the data inculding voltage and current as signalk for logging, interesting to watch duty cycle after the beer goes in PCBs are about £20 for 5.
Will upload code & files for the PCBs if they turn up and actually work , current setup has been in for about decade with an arduino flawless so far .

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator