Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 05:31   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Fridge Condensation, an issue?

I have a side access fridge that occasionally gets about 4 in. diameter condensation patches on the door of the fridge. They are usually there in the morning and can be enough to leave drips on the floor where it dripped down the door of the fridge. It is a frigoboat water cooled fridge that I leave on all the time (solar panels can handle the load).

It is a new boat so if this is an issue I wanted to know about it now rather than later. Any ideas if this is normal or is something I should be concerned about?

I searched the archives before posting this and found a post on condensation behind the fridge which appeared to be an airflow problem, since this is on the outside of the door I can't imagine it's an airflow issue.

Thanks in advance,
Zoid
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:03   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Fridge Condensation, an issue?

If it is around the edge, it could be a bad seal. If in the middle of the door, it sounds like bad insulation.

I remember another thread somewhere here about the L380 stock fridge having condensation issues and dripping onto the floor and ruining/delaminating the sole. People were keeping towels under it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:18   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any condensation on the outside of any fridge box is either a leaking seal or a lack of insulation, it is not a lack of ventilation, airflow my keep the condensation from happening, but your treating the symptom, not fixing the problem.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Bad Bad Bad... the lack of insulation is pulling the heat out of the exterior door skin and dropping the surface temp below the dew point. In English...you have a Warranty Issue to get started on with that Refrigerator Door!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If it is around the edge, it could be a bad seal. If in the middle of the door, it sounds like bad insulation.

I remember another thread somewhere here about the L380 stock fridge having condensation issues and dripping onto the floor and ruining/delaminating the sole. People were keeping towels under it.

Mark
Yeah... I've had side (front?) doors on fridge boxes, but never any condensation on the outside. Sounds like you have incomplete insulation in there. Can you just drill a couple holes on the inside and check it out? fill with home insulation foam from one of those cans?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation