Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2008, 09:38   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version
Fridge compressors - EZ-KOLD

Quick question:
Rebuilding the ice box.
Installing a new fridge system.

According to guidelines from Kollman marine, I need about 4,000 BTUs a day.
1 cubic foot freezer, and a 4 cubic foot fridge.

I'm looking at the EZ-Kold "EK-12CPA" for 1,500.

anyone have any experience with ez kold systems?
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 13:26   #2

Boat: Monk Jr 38 Martha Rose
ez-kold experience

Hi: I have an ez-kold reefer I put in about 2 years ago. It works real well and hasn't given any trouble. I chose ez-kold because he will build the holding plate to any dimensions you like. This made for the most efficient use of space in my box. He uses the same compressor as every one else and the holding plate and electronic control are good quality. The skid for the compressor is kind of cheesy, but I fixed it up myself and I am happy with the installation. I am pretty sure he is a one man show so it took longer to get the unit than he said it would. Dino
dinocarmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 02:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Danfoss BD35F compressor (? utilized in the #EK-12CPA ?) is rated < 586 BTU/H.
Accordingly, a 4,000BTU load, per Dick Kohllman, would require nearly 7 hours daily running time - absolutely unacceptable for a holding-plate system.

Danfoss Brushless DC Hermetic Compressors

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 13:31   #4

Boat: Monk Jr 38 Martha Rose
Hi: I think he would use the BD50 compressor which is pretty much standard any more, and Of course it depends on the insulation. He seems to know what he is talking about, so I suggest calling him up and talking to him about it. Also be sure to get the water cooling option for best results. Dean
dinocarmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 17:46   #5
Marine Service Provider

Selecting 12 volt Danfoss Compressor

I have no recall of what my recommendations were to Chad for an icebox refrigeration conversion unit but there are important changes in 12 volt refrigeration today to be considered. Compressor running time is no longer a measuring stick in performance and energy efficiency longer compressor running time can improve total system coefficient of performance. Compressor selection needs to be based on worst case heat load for a particular system application as well as amount of insulation, cruising climate, and ability of evaporator/holding plate to accommodate output capacity of compressor selected. With the Danfoss new BD compressors a BD50 at low speed has a better coefficient of performance than a BD35 at high speed. I believe that when selecting one of these Danfoss compressor for an icebox conversion select one that can match worst case daily heat removal requirement running at less than full speed with a fifty percent duty cycle. When new refrigeration is put into service reduce compressor speed manually or atomically to achieve lowest daily amp-hr consumption.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 18:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I installed a 12 volt isotherm in my boat last spring. It went in well and the customer service was good. The told me what size unit that I needed. The unit was the best price that I was able to fine.

Isotherm
Old 26-02-2008, 18:52   #7
Marine Service Provider

Selecting the right refrigeration system

Every icebox refrigeration conversion unit sold today will produce performance enough to satisfy at least one boater, the secret is to select the unit that fits your needs. People I have found most helpful in describing their boat’s refrigerator performance are live aboard cruisers who avoid marinas. A refrigeration unit should be selected that will produce the box temperatures you require without overstressing boat’s power grid. Experimental refrigeration should be avoided along with units that are not repairable in the field or units with poor reliability.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator