Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2020, 08:44   #1
TCL

Boat: 1979 Morgan 461, 46' sloop
Freshwater pump cycling more often; accumulator tank problem?

I have a Jabsco ParMax4 pump and a Jabsco 1L accumulator tank -- which system has worked fine for several years.

Just recently (past week), the pump has begun cycling much more often while the water is running.

I thought perhaps the accumulator tank bladder needed air added. (When I bought the boat several years ago, I replaced an accumulator tank with a busted bladder.) So I attached a bike pump and -- gingerly, out of fear of bursting the bladder -- tried pumping a bit of air. The bike pump is a foot pedal with a gauge built in, and it showed around ~40 psi on the downstroke. I gave it a few pumps, pushed the gauge up to ~60 psi a couple of times. I may have added a bit of air, but I don't think much -- leading me to believe that the bladder was not low on air.

More importantly, it didn't make any difference. Pump is still cycling much more often than before -- every couple of seconds -- while water is running.

I'd welcome any thoughts or suggestions on what I can check next as possible cause.

Again, this setup worked fine for 3+ years. Thanks.
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 09:45   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Freshwater pump cycling more often; accumulator tank problem?

Do you have a water filter installed either before or after the pump? A dirty filter cartridge causes my pump to cycle in a similar manner.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 10:07   #3

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Check your pressure solenoid switch. This switch will measure the pressure and turn the pump on and off. The on and off settings should have some space between them to avoid quick cycling of the pump while the water is running.
These switched often fail but they are cheap. Consider a solenoid switch form the Granger catalog as a replacement. They are often cheaper and come with better pressure setting adjustments.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 10:13   #4

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Did you have the system pressured down when you adjusted the accumulator?

If the tank pressure requires adjustment after installation, ensure first that the pump is switched off and that an outlet is open, so that there is no pressure in the system.

Check the accumulator tank performance in this way every 6 months, and adjust the pressure if necessary.

Your optimum accumulator pressure should typically be set around 0.2-0.3bar (3-4psi) below the pump cut-in pressure. So if your cut-in pressure is 40psi, then set the accumulator bladder pressure to 36psi.

Then turn the water-pressure system back on.

Also, as mentioned above - check that your strainers and filters are clear/clean within the system.
Old 26-05-2020, 10:40   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Yes, more frequent cycling while water is running could indicate your accumulator bladder has lost air pressure or even gone completely south.

Yes, you need to completely depressurize the system before you make adjustments.

Last I heard, Jabsco recommends your bladder pressure by about 2-lbs over the pump's cut-in pressure. IOW, if pump cut-in is 20 psi, accumulator pressure of 22-lbs is supposed to be nifty.

Accumulators don't last forever; you may have gotten your money's worth.

-Chris
Old 26-05-2020, 18:23   #6
TCL

Boat: 1979 Morgan 461, 46' sloop

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, there's a filter before the pump; I'll first check that in the morning.

Then I'll make sure to depressurize the system before doing any further fiddling. Thanks for that reminder; I had indeed forgotten when fooling with the accumulator tank earlier.

Thanks again.
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 22:42   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Most pumps have check valves to hold the pressure when the pump is off. If the valve leaks, the pressure drops and the pump comes on. The valve could have dirt in it or be damaged.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 08:11   #8

Boat: Tanton,37

Clean the valve seat of the w pump by removing the pump head before spending money, as previously mentioned filter before the pump is a great help.
tangara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 08:23   #9

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

I had a similar problem. Fixed by replacing pressure switch and adjusting on and off as well as the pressure differential between the two.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 08:34   #10

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

High probability it's the built in check valve in the pump. To test, run the water until the pump comes on, shut off the water. Let sit for 10 min or so and see if the pump kicks back on. If it does, it's the check valve.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 08:45   #11

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Just recently (past week), the pump has begun cycling much more often while the water is running.
Probably blown bladder.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 09:29   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Probably blown bladder.

I go with filter, because with a clogged filter the pump will hit its cut off pressure fast and turn off, then back on as a little water is used, hit pressure and cut off, etc, same as if there is no accumulator.
I personally don’t like accumulators. I believe variable speed pumps and or speed controllers are now reliable enough that they are viable.
I’ve been using one as a boost pump for my watermaker and am very happy with it, is a 5 gpm pump but supplying 1.6 GPM it runs very quiet and low amp draw.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 09:44   #13

Every single pump like that has a manual with very good troubleshooting guides. Start there. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 14:42   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jenneau Prestige 46
Send a message via Skype™ to desdestiny

As a64 pilot suggests, remove the accumulator, fit a variable speed control to the pump
See

Accumulators fitted to boats are too small
desdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 17:10   #15

Boat: Taswell 43

following. Is it common to fit the filter before the pump? That means the pump has to pull the water thru the filter???
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump