Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 17:48   #1

Freshwater Pressure Problem

New to the community so I apologize if this is in the wrong 'section'. Just bought a 2003 Benneteau 311 and absolutely love her since the previous owner really didn't use her that much (2 trips last season) and everything is in good condition.....except the freshwater system. Obviously the freshwater tank had water sitting in it a loooooooong time and stunk to high heaven when we ran the taps. Sanitized the system per the USDA protocols (about 15oz of bleach in the filled freshwater tank, run all the taps until you can smell bleach and let sit for 1hr to kill all the grossness and then run the tank clean, refill with freshwater and flush the taps). Water smells normal but the problem is that I've got no pressure when running a single tap....it barely dribbles out. The water pump starts running as soon as you turn on a tap, have cleaned the filter which empties almost immediately after you turn on a tap. It seems that the water pump can't keep up a single tap. Any suggestions? By the way, not losing any water to the bilge, etc. Any thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated!
jumperlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Freshwater pressure problem

Did you get better flow before the bleach treatment? If so then either the cleaning exposed a leaked on the intake side of the system (between the tank and the water pump) or there is something clogging the lines between the pump and the faucet.

Easy test for the pump.

1. Turn off the power to the pump
2. Disconnect the output hose from the pump.
3. Turn the pump on briefly and see if water flies out.

OR

3. Turn on the faucet and blow into the faucet and see if you get air coming out of the hose where you disconnected it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:01   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

There is probably a strainer between the tank and the pump. Have you checked that. It could be in the pump housing.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:04   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Best bet in cleaning the tank is to get in there and scrub, then vinegar treatment and lots of flushing. There is another current thread running on that.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hem-67533.html

Maybe a mod will move this thread to the Plumbing Systems and Fixtures forum.

Excuse my bad manners. Welcome to the Cruisers Forum jumperlee
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:26   #5

Do any of the faucets work okay? If not my guess is your pump impeller or pump is bad. If you had alot of trash in the tank, you have pumped all of that in the lines or the pump. As stated above disconnect pump connection and see if it pumps.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:39   #6

Boat: cabo rico 38

you mentioned that the pump starts as soon as you turn on a tap.
this implies that it wasn't running though it had power before you turned on the tap.
if that is the case then the pump must be building pressure and tripping out
the pressure switch unless it is also defective. If that is the case then you
likely have a blockage in the output line between the tap and the pump or
in the accumulator tank (if you have one) or in the small orifice in the pump where
most incorporate a backflow valve and pressure regulator together. Secondarily,
could still be in the input lines but it it is building pressure and shutting down that
would be my second guess.

Need some more info (what kind of pump, does the pump shut off again when the tap is closed? Try the aforementioned test of running the pump with noting on the output side.

i've been living aboard for over a decade and even my home ashore is off the grid
and uses
all 12V pumps for water supply and transfer. I find them to be very reliable
if they are kept cool (don't put them in a tiny box and run them into thermal shutdown) and if they are used. Letting them sit as yours has can do everything from
simply clog them to sucking the valves around backwards or causing them to leak and
in the worst case strip out the gears on the wobble plate in which case its pretty much trash.

luckily, good pumps are now phenomenal cheap compared to what they used to be.
I paid $400 for my first 4gpm water pump. Now I can get one that is more reliable,
smaller, and draws less power for about $150.

good luck

gello
gello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:41   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

look at your pressure water pump. mine did this--look at the clear area. there may be a bubble in that-- make that bubble goes away then try the water again
flow wont happen with an air bubble in the pump. it will start then stop. flustrating
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:43   #8

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

If you have loosened any connections between the tank and the pump you could be pulling air.
May have a partial plug between the pump and the faucet or the pump and the tank. Disconnect at pump discharge and check pump output.

If you have a foot pump w/ faucet attached to the line you could be pulling air through the foot pump's faucet. (I replaced pump diaphragms before I found this one.)
Duke
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:52   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i bet this happened magically while nothing was being done, correct--is a thing that happens when you empty the tank completely--air comes into the pump. this air must be let out of the pump or it will not work.
your pump is not dead--it merely needs the air bubble removed. with water in the tank, lift the exit end of pump up higher than the intake and let the water run until the air comes out., easily done and no money paid out.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 19:17   #10

Boat: Privilege 37

I am not certain this applies, but my faucets all had an aerator/filter on the end of the faucet itself. They were plugged when I first got the boat. Unscrewing them and cleaning them out vastly improved my water pressure. Sometimes better to try the real simple things first.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 20:07   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Check the screens in each faucet head....I have seen many of thes get clogged....You can buy replacements at any hardware store
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 20:37   #12

Re: Freshwater Pressure Problem

Wow, simply amazed at the quick and thoughtful responses. Appreciate everything folks! A bit more information based on your responses: The water pressure sucked before I did the treatment which prompted me to sanitize the tank....thought that all the buildup may be causing the issue. Our tank is about 45 gallons, stored underneath the forward berth. Wanted to open it up but the top screw top wouldn't budge. An odd thing, but when I open the freshwater fill valve there's a 'sucking' sound like a vacum has been made...is this normal? Figure it is since the water pump pulls pressure but not sure. Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 20:47   #13
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

check to see if the vent is blocked? Prolly runs up to the anchor locker and thru the cowl vent, if you have that set up.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 20:56   #14

Forgot to mention in the previous post that the lack of water pressure affects all of the outlets (Head faucet, sink faucet, transom faucet). Sarafina: did pull out a bit of 'crud' from the vent but even before it seemed to be venting fine while filling (bit of 'gurgling' while filling the freshwater tank right?)
Old 05-09-2011, 21:16   #15

Zeehag: So I would just unmount the pressure pump and turn it on its side to where the outlet valve is higher and run a faucet so the air can get pushed through?