Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 21:47   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Freshwater Pressure Problem

There shouldn't be a sucking sound when you open the fill cap. I'm with Sarafina, sounds like a blocked vent.
Old 05-09-2011, 23:52   #17

Re: Freshwater pressure problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i bet this happened magically while nothing was being done, correct--is a thing that happens when you empty the tank completely--air comes into the pump. this air must be let out of the pump or it will not work.
your pump is not dead--it merely needs the air bubble removed. with water in the tank, lift the exit end of pump up higher than the intake and let the water run until the air comes out., easily done and no money paid out.
I'm pretty sure this is the problem.
Had the same problem on my boat when I had emptied the tank to much. I then had to lift the pump up and poured some water directly into the pumps inlet. Attach the hoses and run the pump. Should solve it!
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 18:38   #18

Ok, tried everything on the forum without luck. Checked the vent, no visible blockage but just to be sure I opened the water fill fitting as well as the tank itself with no appreciable change in water pressure. Unhooked the output hose and filled the pump manually with water then ran it. Water did shoot out but sporadically (like a squirt gun) and no nice constant stream. Any other thoughts before I break down and pay the maintenance guy at my marina to help a guy out?
jumperlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 18:56   #19

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

Does the pump use a diaphragm or impeller?
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 20:41   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Make and model of the pump?
Old 10-09-2011, 20:50   #21

It's a diaphragm, will look up what make & model and post tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:15   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

It might be the pump. To test. Take a couple of short pieces of hose and a large bucket. Attach the short pieces of hose to the in and out ports of the pump, fill the bucket with water, stick the pickup hose down in the bucket, hang the outlet hose over the bucket and turn on the pump.

Now you have isoated ALL other potential problems and can verfiy if the pump itself is working.

If the pump is working then one by one, reconnect the other parts of the system, testing the pump after every single step. When it stops working you have found the part of the system with the problem.

If the pump is not working it could be repairable. Now would need the make and model.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:25   #23

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

I'm with Zeehag on this one, I had the same issue last month when my wife ran our fresh water dry with a two shower a day regime. Air in the pump so I undid the bleed valve, bled it until water ran through, then all was OK.
Old 09-10-2011, 19:34   #24

Talking Re: Freshwater Pressure Problem

Finally figured it out!!! While this is a bit dated since the initial post, thought I'd post the fix for someone else that will inevitably suffer the same headache. Long story short: GET INTO YOUR FRESHWATER TANK AND CHECK YOUR TEENY-TINY OUTLET HOLE. Started today by disconnecting the hose from the water filter that feeds into the water pump. Plunged the hose into a bucket of water and tuned on a faucet which ran full bore like a household faucet. So.....problem 'solved' in that now I knew that I had a blockage somewhere from the tank and the filter.

You'll remember from previous posts that I couldn't get the large red main access cover off of the tank. Buckled down, used some ingenuity and opened up a pair of adjustable pliers to their widest setting, placed the head into the 'X' imprint in the cover and used the handles as a fulcrum to apply more force. After using my man muscles and perseverance (OK, and a bit of crying unfortunately) it finally popped free.

The water still had a heavy amount of 'gunk' in it, mostly dead bacteria I killed off from the previous shock treatment. However, as I put my finger into the outlet hole.....I pulled out a ton of plastic shavings from the hole. PLASTIC!!!! Looks like they were shavings left over from when they drilled the screwholes for the water level indicator.

Water pressure immediately improved to where it had great flow with all three outlets going. So, drained the tank, scrubbed the hell out of it, filled it, shocked it, drained it, filled it, drained it, filled it again, drained it again, and finally filled it and closed up shop. WHEW! In the end, it was a huge pain but well worth it. Could have paid the maintenance folks a couple hundred $'s to fix it but I still wouldn't have a clue how to fix it if it happened again.

I'm chalking this one up as a win and having a celebratory cold drink.