Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 14:09   #1

Fresh Water Pump Won't Quit

I have a Sureflo 3gpm water pump that constantly runs.Good pressure,no visable leaks,no abnormal bilge cycles,and inspected hot water heater.Pump is only 3 years old.Thoughts? Come back,over!
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 14:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: fresh water pump wont quit

Sounds like the pump pressure switch is stuck on run. I assume you get plenty of water out the faucet. A slipping impeller or closed water tank valve would also cause the pump to continue to run.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 14:21   #3

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau

Hello JWalk...if you have good pressure and see no leaks, the only remaining variable is the pressure switch. I recently installed a Sureflo...think it may have been a 4 gal model, but somewhere it must have a pressure switch to stop the pump when desired pressure is achieved. I think my unit is set to 40 psi. Not sure if it's user servicable.

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 14:25   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

I had a similar problem with a Johnson fresh water pump when plastic shavings from a watermaker installation worked their way into the pump and caused the discharge check valves to leak. The pump cycled on every 5 minutes until I was able to change it out. I finally obtained a strainer for the pump suction and solved that problem for good.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

Or, if the pump is a diaphragm pump (which most Shurflo--older ones anway--are), failed diaphragm.

That starts with short BRRPs a few times a day--almost unnoticeable unless you're really paying attention. But the BRRRRRPs gradually last a little longer and happen more and more frequently...till finally the pump runs continuously without moving any water through it.

However, if you have plenty of water, this prob'ly isn't your problem.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:37   #6

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Re: Fresh Water Pump Won't Quit

speaking of leaks, is the plug that fits into the dock hose inlet, in and tight?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
speaking of leaks, is the plug that fits into the dock hose inlet, in and tight?
Are you referring to the deck fill cap on the boat where you fill the water tank? Don't see how that would relate to the pump problem.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:00   #8

skipmac, no, I'm referring to the hose connection from a dock hose, that lets one use water directly from the dock hose on the boat. The pump is turned off in that instance, and when one disconnects from the dock hose, there is a cap that goes on the hose inlet, that allows pressurizing the system. Leave off the cap and water will spill onto the deck when the fresh water pump is turned on. I've left the cap off getting ready to cast off and pumped some gallons into the scuppers. Probably not the issue here, but it's the simple stuff that often gets overlooked, at least by me.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:31   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
skipmac, no, I'm referring to the hose connection from a dock hose, that lets one use water directly from the dock hose on the boat. The pump is turned off in that instance, and when one disconnects from the dock hose, there is a cap that goes on the hose inlet, that allows pressurizing the system. Leave off the cap and water will spill onto the deck when the fresh water pump is turned on. I've left the cap off getting ready to cast off and pumped some gallons into the scuppers. Probably not the issue here, but it's the simple stuff that often gets overlooked, at least by me.
OK, now makes sense. Am familiar with that type of system but see more cruising sailboats without that with that feature.

One reason I think it is not common, there are stories (urban legends?) about hoses coming loose, filling the boat with city water until the bilge pumps burn out or the batteries die and sinking at the dock. Plus if you leave the cap off your pressure water pump won't work.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 15:30   #10

Yes, a broken hose could end in disaster. I try to remember to turn off the faucet when I leave the boat.
Old 01-02-2012, 16:06   #11

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

There have to have been boats sunk that way, most "urban legends" started somehow.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 17:54   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

you might have an air leak on the intake side of the pump. This would be a leak too small for water to drip out of, but large enough for air to get sucked into. I had a snap on fitting that did this. Looked for the problem for a year. No dripping water from this leak, only air drawn in causing the pump to kick on
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:21   #13

Tks for all the great imput-checking them out now
Old 09-02-2012, 06:45   #14

Ok,turned pressure valve screw counterclockwise and pump continued to run with good pressure at all outlets.Other thoughts?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:53   #15
Marine Service Provider

I guess calling Shuflo is out of the question?
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water