Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 07:34   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Fresh and Sea Water Faucet in One in the Galley Idea ...

So I am plumbing my boat for pressure fresh and sea water at the galley sink.

All of the fixtures I have found for boats don't fit my needs and liking.

My idea is to take a standard nice stainless household facet for hot and cold, and run fresh water to the cold line, and sea water to the hot line.

A nice clean mount I think.

The only real draw back I see is when using fresh water, I will have to wait 10-15 seconds or so for the salt to be out, but because it is only 12" or so of 1/4" hose inside the facet, it should not be too bad.

Comments?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:41   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Fresh and sea water facet in one in the galley idea...

bad idea, if both valves are open at the same time there is a small potential to contaminate the fresh supply.
Other than that the typical bar sink faucet wont last long with salt in it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:01   #3

Boat: Prout 37

BAD IDEA!
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:46   #4

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie View Post
BAD IDEA!
Great insight, but details as to why would be nice. Just sayin'
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:02   #5

Boat: 48 Californian

What will you use the fresh water for after the little sea critters become stuck in the faucet plumbing?
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:01   #6

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

A good idea, just the faucet got to be sea water quality..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:49   #7

i used sea water extensively for washing and cooking in the 80's. Faucets were separate though. Some harbors you dont want the water anywhere near your food.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:02   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I have two separate spray hoses L/R with switches for each pump, along with foot pumps on upright faucets for low volume.

Attached Images

Old 11-03-2012, 11:02   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I always have sea water at my galley sinks. But I would never run both fresh and salt thru the same outlets ! I perfer a foot pump for my salt water, the reason I don't like power salt water is the possiblty of a big bath if a problem happens and sea water is a lot harder to clean up then fresh water! and requires fresh water to clean up the mess, which is a waste at sea ! and a foot pump lasts for ever and is easy to repair if it needs it !and you save power which is always a good thing !! I guess Im old fashion but simple is better, and most fresh water faucets don't hold up well with salt water, they go to ***** real quick useing salt water thru them!! Just my 2 cents
Old 11-03-2012, 11:04   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We do also have both fresh and salt in the galley, but the hot/cold faucet is for pressure freshwater. Then we've got a fresh footpump and a salt footpump, both on seperate spigots.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:15   #11

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

We used to have fresh and salt pressurized, the salt came to a 3 way valve inlet#1, cold fresh came to inlet#2, and the outlet went to the KWC mixer where it was once again mixed to temperature. There is a nice copy knob to select fresh or salt. What happened was Granny had arthritis and could not turn the selector completely to either. We pumped a unknown quantity of salt water into our 1600l freshwater tank in the middle of the South Atlantic. Fortunately we always carry 10 x 10l Jerry Jugs for the liferaft.

We still have the pressurized salt system into the aft heads and the anchor/deckwash, the fwd heads and galley are disconnected. I would carefully design the system to include non return valves if you feel you must do it, but my preference would be a completely separate faucet or rinse hose in the galley. No chance of contamination, a serious problem if you are in an estuary.
Old 11-03-2012, 15:27   #12

Boat: Brewer 44
Re: Fresh and Sea Water Faucet in One in the Galley Idea ...

Thanks gang!
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 16:51   #13

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31

I live aboard a 78 Prout 31, it has a very small gally with a sink about the size of a big dinner plate. When I bought the boat it had faucets and pumps for both salt and fresh water. The pumps were new but the faucets were trash. My solution was to keep existing pumps and I replaced faucets with the drinking water faucet for a standard kitchen sink. They have a high spigot which swivels and can be regulated by how much one opens the valve by pushing on the lever, or if the lever is raised will run continully at full pressure. Each has its own switch that must be turned on to energize pump. They are made of chrome plated brass and copper, and are $25.00 at Home Depot. At that price I keep a spare at all times.
tybee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:43   #14

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I may seem a touch Luddite, but I am leaving the pressure water for special occasions, like full batteries on a sunny day or shore power, and am separately plumbing a fresh water foot pump.

I am also going to have a sea water pump teed off my standpipe. There's a spare T-off available, and it's adjacent to the galley.

This will give me, yes, a crowded sink. But it's a double and the foot pump faucet is quite small. The seawater will have its own handle-style pump.

Like you, I considered the merits of a combined tap, and like most of the posters here, rejected them on the basis of hygiene and the possibility of contamination. This is also why I am installing four smaller water tanks instead of one or two big'uns...I can hand pump for trim purposes, and I can reserve one tank for drinking water via a small watermaker, two for "city" water (which may or may not be up to snuff) and one for rain water collected from a sail awning.

"City" and "rain" do for washing up, bathing and laundry, and deck wash. "Watermaker" is for ice cubes and guests!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 21:33   #15

Boat: prairie32 cutter

Open Roads

.Gotta chuckle bout this one. I have had my galley setup like you want to do. Installed it 1995. (not one single problem). works nice especially if you have Pressure to the cold fresh. No bugs, no smells, No montezuma"s revenge. Installed new faucet, and spay hose last yr. Do it you"ll like it

Tags
water