10-15 F 8 32.00%
15-20F 3 12.00%
20-25 F 1 4.00%
25-30 F 1 4.00%
More 0 0%
I don't know, just so the food is “frozen” 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2020, 06:24   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Freezer Temperature Poll

I wonder what temp (air temp) people are using from their freezers.

Advise on food storage say that 0F is the number. But my freezer is oversized as it was a spillover system in past. Even after I separated them and at a slip with air conditioning and the system never cycling off i never have seen less than 5F with a thermometer placed inside. In past with the spillover it would normally be 20F and the food always was rock hard, especially at bottom.

So not to start a word battle, but what are other cruisers using for a control temp in freezer.
Old 20-11-2020, 09:37   #2
CLOD

Re: Freezer Temperature Poll

Well I currently have mine set to 10-15. I just timed the cycle and it took 7 minutes with system off to warm up from 10 to 15. Then it took 47 minutes to cool back down to less than 10 and turn off. It sat at 10-10.2 for I bet 10 minutes of that. It is only 78 degrees currently in the boat, which is cool.

I don't feel this is an energy efficient cycle.
Old 20-11-2020, 10:30   #3

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

You need more insulation around the box and to check your seals.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 11:20   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I keep my brand new chest freezer at 0F.

If you are looking at the Energy Star ratings, don’t. They can be WAY off. I think they must be calculated with a freezer in a 50 degree room and the perfect amount of already frozen food in them.

In Florida, my chest freezer is taking approximately twice the power the Energy Star numbers said it would.

Maybe this is because freezers are hard to come by right now and getting any freezer at all is heroic on the part of the supplier and manufacturer. So maybe they are bending energy star requirements.

Still, no regrets. Very happy to have a 5cuft freezer that’s easily replaced for $200 if I ever have issues with it. Uses about 60-70AH overnight when it’s full Florida heat. It’s been more like 50-60AH a night the last couple nights with the cold front having come through.

1500 Watt solar array means daytime running doesn’t count at all. Back to float on the batteries by early afternoon.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 05:09   #5
CLOD

This topic must not be interesting or exciting enough. Guess I will need to come up a way to jazz it up some.
Old 21-11-2020, 05:30   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wonder what temp (air temp) people are using from their freezers.

Advise on food storage say that 0F is the number. But my freezer is oversized as it was a spillover system in past. Even after I separated them and at a slip with air conditioning and the system never cycling off i never have seen less than 5F with a thermometer placed inside. In past with the spillover it would normally be 20F and the food always was rock hard, especially at bottom.

So not to start a word battle, but what are other cruisers using for a control temp in freezer.

My question to you would be how long will your food be stored in your freezer?
Long term is 0-5F, but is it feasible w/o xs run time on the compressor in a boat? Can get away w/higher temps if shorter term.

Besides buying a stand alone home freezer to achieve these temps, you may need to add more insulation to your box to reduce heat influx. (I believe you just went thru the process of changing your seals).
Other possibility is to decrease your freezer size (w/better insulation). 3-4 cu. ft.

What compressor are you using (BD35, 50 or 80?) to remove the heat influx from your box?

A freezer is an energy "expensive" way to store food, but think it a great way to store fish and to keep home made ice cream.
I'm fairly certain you know all these things already, but laying them on the table for discussion.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 05:37   #7

If you are oversized to begin with and want to improve efficiency, can you add insulation?
Old 21-11-2020, 06:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I keep my brand new chest freezer at 0F.

If you are looking at the Energy Star ratings, don’t. They can be WAY off. I think they must be calculated with a freezer in a 50 degree room and the perfect amount of already frozen food in them.

In Florida, my chest freezer is taking approximately twice the power the Energy Star numbers said it would.

Maybe this is because freezers are hard to come by right now and getting any freezer at all is heroic on the part of the supplier and manufacturer. So maybe they are bending energy star requirements.

Still, no regrets. Very happy to have a 5cuft freezer that’s easily replaced for $200 if I ever have issues with it. Uses about 60-70AH overnight when it’s full Florida heat. It’s been more like 50-60AH a night the last couple nights with the cold front having come through.

1500 Watt solar array means daytime running doesn’t count at all. Back to float on the batteries by early afternoon.

Yes, a decent amount of power for 5 cu. ft., but you have plenty of solar to run it.
Is yours a chest freezer w/self defrost?

Self defrost is another energy burner and w/poorly wrapped food it can quickly cause freezer burn.
Old 21-11-2020, 06:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Yes, a decent amount of power for 5 cu. ft., but you have plenty of solar to run it.
Is yours a chest freezer w/self defrost?

Self defrost is another energy burner and w/poorly wrapped food it can quickly cause freezer burn.
It’s not self defrost. Just criminally inefficient. Insulation thin as can be.

I really think it has something to do with being lucky to get any freezer in the current world situation.

It’s a Magic Chef brand. One of the only ones out there in stock.
Old 21-11-2020, 06:15   #10
CLOD

Its just a poll type of question. I know all the ways to make my system “better” and how practical each is. In a way I (all of us) probably run our freezer as cold as possible while being able to keep up/manage our energy usage/production.
Old 21-11-2020, 06:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It’s not self defrost. Just criminally inefficient. Insulation thin as can be.

I really think it has something to do with being lucky to get any freezer in the current world situation.

It’s a Magic Chef brand. One of the only ones out there in stock.
I never get it how one expects to run a freezer, avoid heat influx w/thin insulation and then also combined w/a tiny compressor (low btu exchange).

The little portable fridge/freezers come to mind as I write this. Guess no one cares if they have a large solar farm, but they are inefficient as a freezer.

I'm envious that you can just replace it w/another $200 unit if it goes down. After trying to store our fresh caught fish, we've decided w/wanted a freezer. While the guts were somewhat expensive, we will be building our 3.5 cu. ft. w/a min of 6" (some areas more) of insulation to achieve <50ah/day. IMO this is the only way to make an energy efficient system.
Old 21-11-2020, 06:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Its just a poll type of question. I know all the ways to make my system “better” and how practical each is. In a way I (all of us) probably run our freezer as cold as possible while being able to keep up/manage our energy usage/production.

In your response #2, you opened the door.
Old 21-11-2020, 07:05   #13
CLOD

Quote:
In your response #2, you opened the door.
I as just saying the thread doesn't to “fix my problem”.. But i also know that threads are more popular if there something to “fix” or “trash” about. As long as people vote in the poll i can survive another fix or trashing
Old 21-11-2020, 07:26   #14

Quote:
I never get it how one expects to run a freezer, avoid heat influx w/thin insulation and then also combined w/a tiny compressor (low btu exchange).

The little portable fridge/freezers come to mind as I write this. Guess no one cares if they have a large solar farm, but they are inefficient as a freezer.

I'm envious that you can just replace it w/another $200 unit if it goes down. After trying to store our fresh caught fish, we've decided w/wanted a freezer. While the guts were somewhat expensive, we will be building our 3.5 cu. ft. w/a min of 6" (some areas more) of insulation to achieve <50ah/day. IMO this is the only way to make an energy efficient system.
Couldn’t agree more.

Your plan is a good one. What sort of tasty fish are we talking about here? What have you been catching?

But yes, I’m trying to stick to my “keep it simple and off the shelf “ philosophy. Just thought I could get one of the more efficient freezers. Bummer I had to settle for an energy hog. Even off the shelf I could have done a lot better if things were in stock
Old 21-11-2020, 12:25   #15
CLOD

Based on the poll so far only 9 people even have a freezer

Tags
freezer, poll