Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2020, 07:15   #1
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: currently in Bahamas
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 16,293
Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

I have been battling a freezer frost problem for almost a year. It just seems to be a seal issue and i have replaced the seals 3 times with different types to no improvement.

So looking for suggestions and source of good seals.
__________________

sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 07:27   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
tkeithlu's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carrabelle, Florida
Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Posts: 1,941
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

SailorBoy, you are a very knowledgeable poster, so I hesitate, but.....

Back off for a minute. Take a more holistic look at it, because I know you have been installing good seals. If the seals are not really sealing, you can test them by temporary caulking on the outside, and in addition you should already have seen frost at the point where outside air is getting in.

With those two checks, then you know that moist air is getting in somewhere, but it's not your seal. Is it coming in at the copper pipes? Is the box itself leaking at a seam? Where do you first see frost if you run it sealed and empty? It may reveal itself by frosting up at the entrance.

Frustrating. Been there, but not for refrigeration. I most often solve the frustrating ones when I unfocus from hitting my head on a no-working solution and look at the broader picture.

Good luck with it. Thanks for all your help for people like me on this forum.
__________________

__________________
Never let anything mechanical know that you are in a hurry.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 07:49   #3
Registered User
 
Bill O's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Posts: 1,302
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have been battling a freezer frost problem for almost a year. It just seems to be a seal issue and i have replaced the seals 3 times with different types to no improvement.

So looking for suggestions and source of good seals.
Here are some sources for custom magnetic gaskets:

http://o-reps.com/id118.html

https://www.coolergaskets.com/custom...t-profile-016/

http://www.coldsupply.com/Custom-Door-Gaskets_c_64.html

These w/a 2 or 3 seal sets (staggered) on top lids for freezers should do fairly well.
__________________
Bill O.
KB3YMH
https://phoenixketch.blogspot.com/
Bill O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 08:23   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 101
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

See my suggestions on your first post for this subject.
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:13   #5
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: currently in Bahamas
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 16,293
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post

Back off for a minute. Take a more holistic look at it, because I know you have been installing good seals. If the seals are not really sealing, you can test them by temporary caulking on the outside, and in addition you should already have seen frost at the point where outside air is getting in.

With those two checks, then you know that moist air is getting in somewhere, but it's not your seal. Is it coming in at the copper pipes? Is the box itself leaking at a seam? Where do you first see frost if you run it sealed and empty? It may reveal itself by frosting up at the entrance
I actually feel the seals are sealing as no light passes across them. The freezer frosts up pretty much all over at same rate. Does go faster right at the holes into the frig (spillover system).
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:18   #6
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: currently in Bahamas
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 16,293
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

Defrosted the freezer again. Took every screw and fitting off inside the boxes and sealed with caulk. Found a possible source, but it just doesn't seem big enough to be causing such a rapid problem. Wouldn't know for at least 3 days
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 11:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,422
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have been battling a freezer frost problem for almost a year. It just seems to be a seal issue and i have replaced the seals 3 times with different types to no improvement.

So looking for suggestions and source of good seals.
McMaster Carr

United Refrigeration stores

RV Repair parts stores.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 12:20   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay of Islands New Zealand
Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Posts: 597
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Does go faster right at the holes into the frig (spillover system).
Surely this is the issue?

My fridge/freezer used to be a spill-over system but I have now put separate units into each. Initially I thought the the spill-over holes would not be a problem but I was getting severe frosting covering the whole evaporator in the freezer.

I blocked the spill-over holes and voila! - no more frosting. The contents of the fridge in my case is moisture laden (veggies, salad stuff, bread) and that moisture must have been migrating to the freezer.

Sorry, I have no solution for the spill-over thing but you probably should stop spending time and money on door seals. I believe that while you have a spillover system you will have frosting.

Now I’ll probably get a host of folks saying “it doesn’t happen to my freezer”. As always, YMMV.
CassidyNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:21   #9
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: currently in Bahamas
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 16,293
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

Yes. But is has been the same spillover system for 19 years.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 21:20   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay of Islands New Zealand
Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Posts: 597
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

Mmmmm . . . . no answer for that. Good luck in your quest.
CassidyNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 22:59   #11
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 4
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

Sailorboys problem is not the seals, his refrigeration system is short of gas causing the coldplates to have extremely low temperatures in parts. Extremely low temperature causes rapid buildup of frost / ice. The system needs gas adding.
bobty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 02:38   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 8,248
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Surely this is the issue?

My fridge/freezer used to be a spill-over system but I have now put separate units into each. Initially I thought the the spill-over holes would not be a problem but I was getting severe frosting covering the whole evaporator in the freezer.

I blocked the spill-over holes and voila! - no more frosting. The contents of the fridge in my case is moisture laden (veggies, salad stuff, bread) and that moisture must have been migrating to the freezer.

Sorry, I have no solution for the spill-over thing but you probably should stop spending time and money on door seals. I believe that while you have a spillover system you will have frosting.

Now I’ll probably get a host of folks saying “it doesn’t happen to my freezer”. As always, YMMV.
If you have a spillover system the freezer side is exposed to humidity every time you open the refrig side. If you then isolate the freezer side the top is opened so much less frequently that it will be exposed to less humidity and you'd get less frost.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 06:21   #13
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: currently in Bahamas
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 16,293
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

Will know more in a couple more days, but right now 2 days after last defrost the system is working great. The time before it was already not maintaining refrigerator side temp by this time.

This turn out to be an example of; doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results being a sign of insanity.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 16:54   #14
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: currently in Bahamas
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 16,293
Re: Freezer/Refrigerator Lid Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Defrosted the freezer again. Took every screw and fitting off inside the boxes and sealed with caulk. Found a possible source, but it just doesn't seem big enough to be causing such a rapid problem. Wouldn't know for at least 3 days
Well color me a fool maybe. It is looking that the above has “fixed” the problem. Now there were 8 screw holes in each lid and 4 on the the side of each box, so that must have really been adding up. I have been having to defrost very couple days and currently it has 2.5 days and there iapsnt an indication of the problem. The freezer has tight hard ice layer on the evaporator instead of an insulating fuzzy frost layer. The air temp in the top middle of the freezer is 12 degrees and the spillover fan is cyclng on/off having no problem maintaining frig side 35-36 degrees.

I will look at all the different seals later as either though the ones i have appear to be working i dont really consider them high quality.
__________________

sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
freezer, refrigerator, seals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel container cap/lid seals Learning Curve Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 14-10-2017 18:07
[SOLD] Lavac Lid and Seat Seals rb1492 General Classifieds (no boats) 1 01-03-2017 18:12
Lid insulation for refrigerator RDW Construction, Maintenance & Refit 2 14-04-2015 11:15
frig/freezer lid latches sailorboy1 Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 14 13-10-2014 06:31
EPDM Lewmar port seals (replacement) for leaking seals Panamajames Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 05-03-2012 13:47

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.