Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2022, 11:08   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41
Foot pump faucet drips when electric pump runs

Hi there,

I've just installed a fresh water foot pump on my galley, and it's connected via a T fitting to the same hose that feeds the electric water pump (like in the picture)

It's all working fine but every time the electric pump runs, a bit of water comes out of the faucet connected to the foot pump. I suppose it happens because the electric pump running causes a pressure buildup in that hose and that pushes some water in the direction of the foot pump? I'd love if someone could explain this to me, and specially if there's a way to avoid it

Thanks in advanceClick image for larger version

Name:	20221024_125813.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	266301
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 12:34   #2

Re: Foot pump faucet drips when electric pump runs

It's actually what is called "water hammer." When the pump is running, it is sucking water out of the tank and that water is flowing through the pipes. when that water flow is suddenly shut off, the water's velocity is converted to pressure, which pushes through the foot pump and out the faucet.

If you only use the foot pump as a backup the simplest solution would be to install a shutoff valve. Or a three way valve at the junction.

If you do NOT have an accumulator in the pressure side of the system that can fix it also, although its effectiveness will depend on exactly what kind of electric water pump you have.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 12:50   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

Use a longer suction hose between the T and the electric pump, ideally made out of soft rubber. Just make a couple of loops of hose or something. That will absorb much of the vibration and your problem will go away or at least be minimized.
Old 24-10-2022, 13:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
It's actually what is called "water hammer." When the pump is running, it is sucking water out of the tank and that water is flowing through the pipes. when that water flow is suddenly shut off, the water's velocity is converted to pressure, which pushes through the foot pump and out the faucet.

If you only use the foot pump as a backup the simplest solution would be to install a shutoff valve. Or a three way valve at the junction.

If you do NOT have an accumulator in the pressure side of the system that can fix it also, although its effectiveness will depend on exactly what kind of electric water pump you have.
Thanks for the explanation! I think I'll install a shut off valve close to the pump as the T is not as easily accessible
Old 24-10-2022, 13:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Use a longer suction hose between the T and the electric pump, ideally made out of soft rubber. Just make a couple of loops of hose or something. That will absorb much of the vibration and your problem will go away or at least be minimized.
Great to know that's a possibility but in my case the T is right next to the pump and it'd be annoying to have all that coiled hose there

Tags
electric, electric pump, pump