Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2011, 07:10   #46

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Fixing Plastic Freshwater Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Updated news.

I have done the repair. But don't know till I fill the tank if the repair is effective (or for how long)

I used the technique in post #6 from Allanpeda in the video posted. It uses heat treating the polyethelene.

Also I blobbed on a few test dollops. They have stuck pretty well but they can be sctratched off. Maybe a few more days hardening, maybe it will be fine in the larger repair.

Mark
Not good. Well you tried. Perhaps it would be better if the adhesive were inside the tank, so the hydrostatic pressure is pushing it into the crack, but then you wouldn't be able to get that torch in to prep the surface.

Maybe this will buy enough time to save up for a new tank.
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 08:03   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Of course it does. Thats where you sit.

yes, you're on for the beer

lol--that is the big hle in topsides middle-- thelil hole in bottom is where the water came in for a bit--i used a champagne cork, bed sheet material(hay--cloth is cloth..LOL) and epoxy-- so far, so good-- but i wanna do a better job..>LOL....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 08:35   #48

Boat: 535 Norseman

I used to work for a company that sold polyethlene tanks that came blank. We would cut a hole and the would use a little handheld machine that we would put the fitting in - I believe it was a Makita -and it would spin in a fitting (or a patch) at high speed and melt the two pieces together.

Depending on where you are I would check with marine sanitation companies, or tank companies and see if they have something like that. It would take about 10 minutes (once you got the tank to the shop). Other than that it's really hard to stick stuff to that material.
memiller279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 10:09   #49

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Using a controlled heat source and melting a filler material into the gap is the only long term solution for Polyethylene. You can try it yourself or contact someone with plastic welding equipment, (like me).
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote