Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2019, 09:04   #1

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Filters for spectra watermaker

I am wondering about using a carbon filter from home depot in my water maker ,this is not a price issue or a complaint about the spectra branded ones ,it strictly a convenience issue . I dont intent to risk the water maker . I am just wondering.
Old 29-12-2019, 09:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Filters for spectra watermaker

What do you mean by In your watermaker?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 09:43   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The carbon filter is really only needed for the backflushing of the watermaker once you've finished. This makes sure that no chlorine which might be present in the water tank gets into the membrane. They have a short life - I believe a maximum of 6 months. I never changed the charcoal filter because I never took on water, every drop in the tank was made by the watermaker. For me it was a matter of convenience as well, once I found a filter that fit and wasn't priced at Spectra's price point I switched it out just to ready for taking on city water without risking blowing up my Spectra filter.
The particulate filters on the Spectra are available at much cheaper prices as well - once my warranty expired I switched filter brands as well.
Old 29-12-2019, 09:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If your talking another the carbon filter for the flush, you need a carbon block filter. Ones made from coconut shell are apparently better.
Unlikely a Home Depot filter is a carbon block filter, many filters have a little carbon in them so they can advertise they are carbon filters.

However carbon block filters can be purchased many places like Amazon for instance.
Old 29-12-2019, 10:40   #5

A64pilot , it meant in the system not in the water maker itself . Thats an interesting comment on block filters that is a term unfamiliar to me
Thanks
Old 29-12-2019, 10:49   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This explains carbon block filters decently well.
I believe though that you should not use a carbon block filter after the watermaker as it may be too much of a restriction, and of course using one as a prefilter would also probably restrict flow too much
https://rajahfiltertechnics.com/wate...water-filters/
Old 29-12-2019, 11:20   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

a64pilot - I think that you don't have a watermaker aboard and don't know the Spectra setup. The Spectra puts the product water directly into the tank, there is no "back pressure" from a carbon filter involved in the production of water.

The carbon filter is only used for flushing the Spectra for 10 minutes at the end of the production cycle. This takes fresh water from the tank to flush out any salt water from the membrane to prevent growth and keep it clean.
Old 29-12-2019, 12:30   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes I do have a watermaker on board, and do understand how they work.
The question of can I put a Home Depot carbon filter in my watermaker didn’t make much sense as there are no carbon water filters in a watermaker. Usually there is a carbon filter to filter out chlorine from the tank water for rinsing the membranes as membranes will only tolerate 1 PPM of chlorine, but it’s not (in) the watermaker, or not that I have seen anyway, it’s a separate filter, many use the common 10” filter housing and cartridge.
Sometimes people want to post filter their watermaker water, although I don’t know why, and some even want to run their product water though a UV light, again I don’t know why.

There is no reason not to use a common filter if you have the 10” housing, but you want a carbon block filter and not a granulated carbon filter as a carbon block filter is more effective at removing chlorine.
Old 29-12-2019, 13:26   #9

I will clarify , I have spectra 150 water maker with the typical 10 inch carbon back wash filter to stop any clorine that may be in the tank from damaging the membrane.
The question was are Home Depot filters appropriate for this job and the answer appears to be no ,unless they are carbon block filters .
I will see if I can find out
Thanks
Old 29-12-2019, 13:30   #10

Very interesting about the coconut
Old 29-12-2019, 14:09   #11

I would not buy at Home Depot unless it is a major name brand. There's a lot of poor knockoff Asian filters in the distribution channel.

Years ago I was told by a friend that the KXMatrlkx CTO was the same as the Spectra filter. I don't know if this was true (or still true) but I have been using them for years in my Spectra Newport without problems. Available many places but I get mine here.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/pr...k-filter-5-mic
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 14:17   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I buy all my filters online. I have learned the hard way on the 20 and 5 micron pre filters to ensure they are not paper filters, paper filters clog very easily in salt water, and the paper is fragile if you clean your filters, the polyester ones are much better.
Speaking of cleaning, many say don’t because who knows what your filters rating is once it’s been cleaned. I read on this forum from someone that I think was good advice, don’t clean the 5 micron, replace it. Reason is you need that last filter to really be a 5 micron filter, if you clean the 20 and turn it into a 50, no harm done, the 5 will still catch the trash, just clog faster, but if you clean that 5 and it becomes a 20, then of course you pass onto the membrane 19 micron sized particles and that may not be good long term.
At first I thought the coconut shell was some kind of marketing nonsense until I did some reading.
I get mine on Amazon, but there are several filter suppliers.
Old 29-12-2019, 14:42   #13

Besides having a good filter - in normal vented boat water tanks chlorine concentration drops quite quickly.

To reduce the risk of any chlorine getting past the filter, I don't do a freshwater flush within 48 hours of filling the tank with chlorinated dock water or adding chlorine to the tank. With a good, fresh filter this probably isn't necessary but I figure it can't hurt.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 20:53   #14

Carl F , that’s interesting
Old 30-12-2019, 03:56   #15

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Seems like there is some confusion for what the OP wants to do.
A carbon filter on the flush side needs to be carbon block, the cheap loose particle carbon filters will allow carbon pieces to get Into the system and can damage the internals. A carbon filter after the water maker is kind of pointless as it is designed to remove odor and taste which RO water doesn't have. A loose carbon filter between your tank and drinking water tap would make more sense if that is your intent.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker