Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 09:02   #1

Fiberglass Water Tank Color

Hi All,

So I looked into one of the tanks today (after not using the boat for 2 months and leaving the tank empty) and saw this wierd purple color ozzing out of a few spots where the gelcoat broke off (maybe 1/8" x 1/8" size) inside the tank (probebly an air bubble).

Any idea what the hell it is?
wingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:55   #2

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Your tanks are gelcoat covered? Sounds like blisters. Not a good thing for either a water tank or hull. If your boat is a pre 1990's or their about... it may be the osmosis problem.

I've had a small sailboat that had a minor problem on the outer hull and it was a job to cut/ grind, drain the "sores" and allow them to totally dry out then grind them flush and coat with something like a West Sytems.... but that is for bottoms.... Not water tanks.

If what you have is the osmosis problem where the fiberglass is breaking down...(BTW it probably also smells bad) this would not be good for a water system that you use for drinking water. You may have to look at replacing or some how isolate the walls from the stuff and the water.

Hope someone comes up with a better idea but sounds like blisters to me. Good luck!

Tags
fiberglass