Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 08:46   #1

Boat: John Alden 36 foot cutter
Fiberglass built in holding tank.

I plan to build a, large as possible holding tank : 46"x 16 x 12 approx. shaped to the sailboat hull under the V. It will pump out through the existing deck fitting and would like to be able to drain into the Ocean (as regulations allow)

I'm wondering if I can gravity drain, shaping the tank toward the drain and using a new electric toilet.
donmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:59   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Fiberglass built in holding tank.

You aware that will add 400+ lbs at that point when full?

Might affect sail performance. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Fiberglass built in holding tank.

To gravity discharge, the entire tank must be well above waterline...so I don't THINK a tank shaped to fit the hull under the v-berth will be able to do that. Nor do I think there's enough space under the v-berth for a tank that big...remember, you have to allow space for the fittings and hoses.

Plus, as John said, it would add a lot weight to that part of the boat--at least 300 lbs plus the weight of the tank...and a FG tank that size would be heavy!

You might want to consider a Plan B: A smaller plastic (rotomolded PE) tank. And your best source is Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.

However the toilet has nothing to do with emptying the tank..it only sends bowl contents TO the tank. So the type of toilet is immaterial as long as it's capable of getting the waste into the tank.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, holding tank