Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 09:12   #1

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
Faucets

Looking to replace my bathroom and kitchen sink faucets and my shower "faucet". Couldn't find anything with the small footprint at home depot. West marine didn't have them any ideas where i can buy some that aren't plastic?
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Faucets

This is an issue -- we've been testing a variety of single and mixer faucets trying to find something that we like for the traditional boat market we serve. So far, for faucets, we have not found one we'd like to carry. In our own boat, we've got traditional brass faucets intended for home use with lifetime guarantee. The brand has replaced them once (because they stated there should be no problem in the marine environment) but they're really not holding up at all.

We do carry Fynspray just because they have very good hand pumps. But none are just faucets, they're manual pumps or spigots (no valve) intended to be used with a foot pump.
Old 21-10-2016, 09:25   #3

I always use the home faucets from hardware stores of my choosing. One with a big upward arch is nice on a boat allowing you to get big pans etc under the faucet. Bar sink faucets have this also. Single lever faucets in general have a small base. Most decent quality home faucets are superior to the junk they put on boats.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:38   #4

Scandvik
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:20   #5

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I always use the home faucets from hardware stores of my choosing. One with a big upward arch is nice on a boat allowing you to get big pans etc under the faucet. Bar sink faucets have this also. Single lever faucets in general have a small base. Most decent quality home faucets are superior to the junk they put on boats.
Cheechako, I agree with you on this. I have been shopping all over the place for replacement ideas for my 78 Hunter 27, and have yet to find a faucet for either the head vanity or the galley sink that I like. The factory units are currently there, and seem to be set up for pressurized water from the dock itself!

Now that I have discovered my water storage tank was kindly treated with a dose of Pine-Sol by the "helpful" PO, once I get it cleared out (IF I can get it cleared out), I would like to figure out a way to put in a good distribution system, and the faucet upgrades are in the mix for that system because of the obvious need to determine water routing options (am I moving to a pumping option or going electric, etc., and what faucets will work for either/each option?). I am hoping to find another thread about that part, but the faucet selection I have still seems to be the Home Depot sort of options. Oh, well, it is an old boat, and not intended to be THE boat anyway...
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:26   #6

I often ended up liking mixing faucets because you can adjust with one hand and quickly wasting less water. Flip the lever and it's off. One key question is do you have cold only or hot and cold. If cold only, then a Bar Sink faucet is perfect and not very expensive.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:42   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
Looking to replace my bathroom and kitchen sink faucets and my shower "faucet". Couldn't find anything with the small footprint at home depot. West marine didn't have them any ideas where i can buy some that aren't plastic?
Did you check West Marine on-line or just in a store. They actually carry a lot of these things but on-line or in the catalog. Defender is another source.
Old 21-10-2016, 10:51   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Check RV stores (on line) too. They have similar requirements without the "yacht" price.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 11:15   #9

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Try the real plumbing supply houses (such as Ferguson Enterprises or Nolan in the U.S.).

Faucets that I have spec'd for lab and commercial use, such as Chicago Faucet, Speakman and T&S Brass, have proved dependable and long lived. I would be confidant in their use aboard.

On the other hand, I am using American Standard faucets aboard my boat for the lavatories and they work a treat.

Be advised, the newer cartridge faucets cannot be rebuilt like the old style faucets. Fixing a leaking faucet by simply replacing a rubber washer is no longer possible.

Also, if dealing with offshore manufactured brass, you risk facing a higher lead level than in U.S. manufactured products. All brass contains lead - some is truly miniscule, others hazardous. Look for a NSF rating and suitable for use in potable water systems label.

As a general rule, allowing the water to run for at least ten seconds clears much of the leached lead standing in the faucet. Older water coolers are particularly suspect in this area.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 11:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post

Now that I have discovered my water storage tank was kindly treated with a dose of Pine-Sol by the "helpful" PO, once I get it cleared out (IF I can get it cleared out),
Peggie Hall has posted this on this forum in the past, as have many others quoting her. Here's my link to her recommendations:

Fresh Water System Recommissioning 101 - Peggie Hall's "Cocktail" Rotten Egg Odor hot water "rotten egg" odor

If you want a pressurized water system, go to the West Marine Advisors. Or any reputable boating book, like Don Casey. This is easy enough to find almost anywhere. No special faucets required.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote