Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2021, 10:51   #1

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet
exploding RO membrnane housing

I am building my own water maker from parts that I can buy on the net, after looking several site I find the seawaterpro miami watermaker builder, mike the boss clearly doesnot like chinese products he says that all the white membrane housing made in china will explode under pressure but he sell a better one a blue membrane housing with 4 stainless rods olding the end caps, my question is there any of you cruisersforum members that has a chinese membrane that explode???
so all the watermakers that doesnot use the blue one are putting in danger their customers???
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:18   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: exploding RO membrnane housing

Once, I decided to save money by building a pressure accumulator for the fresh water system from PVC pipe. It’s only 40 PSI, so no problem. It scared the hell out of me when it blew apart one evening.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:13   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Water for all practical purposes is incompressible (ie watermaker pressure). If there is no compression there is no energy to be expended so failure is just pfst, pfst. My experience, some products from China junk some good quality.

I am now looking at a return link on my outboard steering (very magnetic), confirmed on two subsiquent questions by Chinese mfg as SS, rusting in one week.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:35   #4

It certainly can happen I suppose with a defective pressure valve, but I have not heard of it. I have no idea where the membrane housings commercially sold come from. I had not heard China. But sounds like hocus pocus to me.
End caps do corrode up well and can be difficult to remove. Tie rods are not a bad idea; do they solve that issue though? Not sure. Probably not unless the end caps are SS also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 17:53   #5

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

No water. No life. Watermaker so important. I wouldn’t skimp here on inferior products.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 17:56   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
No water. No life. Watermaker so important. I wouldn’t skimp here on inferior products.

The issue of course is the determination of what is an inferior product. That’s the kernel of the OPs question
Old 10-12-2021, 18:10   #7

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Water is essentially incompressible, so vessels pressurized with only water will not violently explode. On the other hand, if there are any entrapped gasses, depending on the volume of said gasses, there might be more or less energy stored capable of violent release. The stainless steel tie rods keep the end caps from blowing off, stripping their mounting threads. The tie rods do nothing for keeping the cylindrical portion of the housing from splitting open
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 23:58   #8

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapanui 2 View Post
I am building my own water maker from parts that I can buy on the net, after looking several site I find the seawaterpro miami watermaker builder, mike the boss clearly doesnot like chinese products he says that all the white membrane housing made in china will explode under pressure but he sell a better one a blue membrane housing with 4 stainless rods olding the end caps, my question is there any of you cruisersforum members that has a chinese membrane that explode???
so all the watermakers that doesnot use the blue one are putting in danger their customers???
It's a problem that we have to rely on everything made in China or abroad.... even today we are importing others' children to work in our restaurants, packing houses and factories... It may be too late to change course.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote