Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2008, 09:59   #1

Experience with Tecma heads

I'm thinking about Tecma heads in a new monohull sailboat. Current boat has Lavac's - which have been good - but the Tecma seems like a step forward at least for electric (which is required by wife)

Besides general experience, I'm interested in hearing how the Tecma works at sea - expecially when heeled. I also can't figure out whether there would be a difference between the Silence and the Easyfit models.

I'm going to Annapolis in a few weeks and will look at electric heads in general. I've also thought about the Raritan Atlantes but it's much more expensive and I never hear it mentioned. My most important criteria is quiet, clog free, and reliable.

Thanks for any feedback.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 10:58   #2

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40
I installed the EasyFit a year ago and I've been happy with it. Never had issues using it when heeled.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 11:02   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Hi Carl,

I think you asked and I answered this before in http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post161375

I have the Silence plus short model and never had a problem operating when heeled way over as it finishes its cycle in the dry bowl and the flushing pump is incredibly strong.

We plumb fresh water to it with a switchable salt water pressure line if ever needed to ration water, but never expect to use it with salt.

Great that you can compare the quality at the boat show as I only went with other’s recommendation but I am happy with the choice.

Not sure the difference between the 2 models as the Silence seems to be the one I have seen used for Marine use

Let us know what you decide
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 16:07   #4

Boat: CT54
We put in the Tecma Silence about a year ago and have had no problems. I did alot of research before purchasing and have not been disapointed.
These toilets are built to flush uphill. As I understand they are used in basements where you need the toilet to flush up a whole floor so I can't imagine heeling would ever be a problem.
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 15:16   #5

Thanks for the feedback guys. Pelagic, I'm glad you're still happy after six months. I was thinking about plumbing both salt and fresh to the unit too. If I understand your post you just ran pressure salt and pressure fresh to a y-valve. Or did you do something fancier?

I've now spent more time thinking about which head to install than almost any decision - including which girl to marry. Not sure what this says about my priorities.

I'll chat with Thetford at Annapolis and try to figure out why they sell two models (Silence and Easyfit) that seem to be so similar. I'll tell you if I learn anything.

Carl
Old 17-09-2008, 18:53   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Carl, I plumbed after a small pressure pump from the old toilet intake thru-hull a Y-fitting that selects either a saltwater hose that can be used for unclogging drains or as a fire hose, with the other side going to another Fresh/Salt Y-fittings that feeds the Tecma solenoid.

I prefer to plumb independent shut-off valves rather than using Y-valves because I can then close the Thru-hull open all the valves and purge the salt water lines with fresh water making that fire-hose a fresh water hose also.

I've now spent more time thinking about which head to install than almost any decision - including which girl to marry. Not sure what this says about my priorities.

I know what you mean….I think we sailors tend to be a bit anally retentive…lol!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 19:35   #7

Thanks. Great solution.