Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 09:59   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee OS 27
Elegance vacuum breaker leak

I have a question about the Raritan Elegance toilet. I bought mine in 2009 and have been using it daily ever since. Early on I had an issue with the vacuum breaker leaking from the top during freshwater inflow, contacted Raritan and was sent a new part for it that worked fine until just recently. The same issue has occurred, where water leaks from the top of the vacuum breaker whenever water flows into the toilet. I contacted Raritan last month and was simply told that the vacuum breaker has been upgraded and I could order a new one from them.

I ordered the new vacuum breaker and installed it. It worked fine for 1/2 day. Now it's leaking again from the top so that I can't run water into the toilet without wetting the entire head space.

My toilet is a pressurized fresh water unit with a smart panel. I love the toilet but wonder if this is an end-of-life issue and will I need to order a new toilet altogether? Is the toilet not designed to be used daily for more than 6 years?

stumped in PDX
Denise
CHB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 16:10   #2

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat
Re: Elegance vacuum breaker leak

I've had a Raritan Marine Elegance installed for two years now, and it has given me zero problems. Mine is also fresh-water flushed with the smart panel.

So far it's the best head I've ever owned. Hope yours is an isolated problem.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 04:21   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

If you are using fresh water from your tank fed into the bowl then you may not need a vacuum breaker on the inlet side. Or are you saying that the vacuum breaker on the outlet leaks (yuk)?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 06:57   #4
Marine Service Provider

The problem may not be in the toilet...Have you made any recent changes to your water pressure system...different pump, new tank... onboard?

Try cleaning out the existing vacuum breaker...there could possibly be debris in the valve seat area. It's a serviceable component...if you don't know the correct way to open it, give Raritan tech support a call for instructions.

If that fixes it, but only for a short time again, there may be hard water mineral or other debris in your fresh water system...the cure for that is to flush out your fresh water system.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 07:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
If you are using fresh water from your tank fed into the bowl then you may not need a vacuum breaker on the inlet side.
A vacuum breaker in the inlet is very necessary to protect the potable water supply from contamination in any toilet designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water. Connecting any SEA water toilet to the fresh water supply is a major no-no and every toilet mfr specifically warns against it.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 07:23   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
A vacuum breaker in the inlet is very necessary to protect the potable water supply from contamination in any toilet designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water. Connecting any SEA water toilet to the fresh water supply is a major no-no and every toilet mfr specifically warns against it.
Ok, I understand and that makes sense. Thanks for correcting me.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 09:57   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee OS 27

Hi Peg,
First of all, I'd like to say that I really love this toilet. If I had to buy a new toilet, it would again be this one, without a doubt.

Second, I just received a call from Greg at Raritan and he very patiently walked me through all the possible scenarios, I think all of which you've mentioned here. I have to say I've always had amazing responses from the Raritan Team, and appreciate their patience and understanding.

The one possibility that stands out above all others is the water pressure issue. My marina is on a well and the water pressure has been fluctuating hugely over the past few months as new users connect to the water source. Also the well passes a ton of yuck through to the marina. Earlier this year I added a General Ecology Dockside filter to my water intake and that has helped lessen the yuck substantially. But it doesn't address the pressure issue. After Greg explained how the vacuum breaker works, I'm feeling pretty confident that I just need to address the water pressure to resolve the leaking issue.

I am going to go through all the steps both you and he advise to ensure every possible cause of the leak is put to rest.

Thank you so much and I'm very happy to see you are still here on the forum providing guidance.

Denise
CHB33 is offline   Reply With Quote