Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 17:53   #1

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Electric toilet problem flushing

I have a jabsco electric toilet that has no worries about flushing solids or paper through it but when itís only urine it tends to swirl like a whirlpool and build up and up higher in the bowl. If you leave it and walk away for a few minutes it goes down after that, but if you just keep pumping and pumping it builds up and up. I like to pump the urine a lot to keep the pipes clean at the moment only short little pump seems to make it work. I replaced the joker valve several months ago just because we were heading north for a while so itís not very old and Iíve checked all the pipes thereís no major buildup or anything in the pipes at all. Any ideas how to stop this whirlpool affect.

Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 20:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Electric toilet problem flushing

You're saying your toilet is an electric toilet, but you refer to pumping it. Unless you have a very unusual one, electric toilets flush by just pushing a button. What's your model/approx age? If you don't know, can you post a photo showing everything but the bowl (all toilet bowls look alike).

--Peggie

peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 20:38   #3

Basically, the whirlpool prevents the water from draining down the hole, meanwhile more water is being pumped in.

You just need to stop pumping when the water starts whirling round. Just for a few seconds, let the water settle again then pump some more.

Short bursts, with pauses in between.

Keep doing short bursts, and you'll soon empty the bowl.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 23:41   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

... Anddecalcify the hoses from time to time, except you use fresh water to flush ...
Old 17-08-2019, 05:10   #5

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1566043818.473088.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	197989
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 07:06   #6
Marine Service Provider

Your toilet is Jabsco 37010--a sea water toilet. The owners manual for it is here Jabsco 37010 owners manual The part # 74001-2460 on the pump motor assembly is for a replacement pump/motor assembly...indicating that either the original has been replaced, or perhaps was used to "convert" a manual toilet (nothing wrong with doing that).

From your description, it seems to be working as it should, but I'd put a volt meter on it WHILE FLUSHING to be sure that it's getting a full 12v, 'cuz low voltage is a common reason for for sluggish discharge. If that checks out ok, the problem has to be in the discharge hose plumbing. Sea water mineral build up in it is a good posssibility...it can reduce the 1" diameter to less than 1/2"..a 12-15% solution of muriatic ( hydrochloric) acid, available from any hardware store can clean it out...flush it down the toilet, follow with clean fresh water after 45-60 minutes. It may require more than one "dose." Be sure to follow ALL directions for safe handling very carefully!

If there's a vented loop in the discharge line--which there should be if the toilet flushes directly overboard...it needs to be at least 6-8" above waterline AT MAX HEEL, not just when the boat's at rest, which on most sailboats puts it 2-3 FEET above the bowl depending on the angle of max heel. In which case, you just need to be less "aggressive" in flushing 'cuz that much more sea water just contributes to sea water mineral buildup. A liter of fresh water from the sink once a day is enough to keep the line clean. A cupful--2 at the most--of distilled white vinegar flushed down the toilet every week or two will prevent mineral buildup. Follow the vinegar with a liter of clean FRESH water after 45 minutes. Do NOT leave vinegar sitting in the bowl! When soft rubber (your joker valve) is allowed to sit and soak in vinegar, it swells and distorts.

So clean any buildup out of the discharge line and back off on the amount of water you're using with every flush and I think all will be well.

--Peggie
Old 17-08-2019, 08:46   #7

I would try the new Spanish "bomba manual" system.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 13:24   #8

Boat: Beneteau 41.1

I have the same unit and had the exact same symptom. Contrary to instructions, somebody had flushed some disposable wet cloths, which wound up wrapped around the macerator blades, compromising the pumping power, and leading to the exact symptoms you describe. It’s a 10 minute fix.

Flush fresh water through to minimize biological waste dripping out. Put on some latex gloves and lay some disposable rags on the floor. Remove the 4 screws attaching the motor unit to the toilet. This will expose the macerator. Remove whatever is fowling the blades, then reattach the motor unit. There’s a rubber o-ring between the two. Make sure to place It correctly between the two.

Jabsco has a YouTube video that walks you through this (https://youtu.be/BuHMYCEEqWk). Minutes 1:25 to 2:05 Contain the relevant part.
Old 17-08-2019, 14:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
... Anddecalcify the hoses from time to time, except you use fresh water to flush ...
If you flush plenty of water (even seawater) through, calcification isn't a problem.

I haven't had to replace or clear the hoses in over 9 years of living aboard full time. I have had to remove both toilets for service due to leaking seals, and the hoses were excellent.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 14:12   #10

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Partially close the thru hull down. A little less water will get into the bowl. Might fix your issue for the time being. It like 2 pumps in one motor. The rubber impeller pumps water in, and the macerator blade ( centrifugal) pumps water out. And they need to be somewhat balanced in flow and out flow.
I have a little black strainer on my thruhull, when that clogs up, a lot less water gets into the bowl. Its easy to clean, one day I saw a little minnow swimming in the bilge and I thought, maybe it got in when I cleaned the filter.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 15:44   #11

Boat: Fusion 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
I have the same unit and had the exact same symptom. Contrary to instructions, somebody had flushed some disposable wet cloths, which wound up wrapped around the macerator blades, compromising the pumping power, and leading to the exact symptoms you describe. Itís a 10 minute fix.

Jabsco has a YouTube video that walks you through this (https://youtu.be/BuHMYCEEqWk). Minutes 1:25 to 2:05 Contain the relevant part.
I had the same symptoms with a tampon stuck on the macerator.
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 17:48   #12

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Your toilet is Jabsco 37010--a sea water toilet. Th

Sea water mineral build up in it is a good posssibility...it can reduce the 1" diameter to less than 1/2"..a 12-15% solution of muriatic ( hydrochloric) acid, available from any hardware store can clean it out...flush it down the toilet, follow with clean fresh water after 45-60 minutes. It may require more than one "dose." Be sure to follow ALL directions for safe handling very carefully

--Peggie
Peggy, Does this mean that if the bottle of muriatic says it is 15% for example then I would use it straight or should it be diluted to 12 to 15 % of the strength it comes in the bottle. I do not have one on hand to see the usual strength it is sold at but it seems it is weaker than 12%. I have your book and I either missed this point or it wasn't clear to me.
Please clarify
Thanks
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 20:32   #13
Marine Service Provider

Dilute whatever strength is the bottle.

--Peggie
Old 22-08-2019, 15:08   #14

Boat: Logan 33

more on the vented loop!
I have a manual toilet on a launch, pumped only to holding tank, where the top of both toilet and tank are above sea level. I gather a vented loop is not necessary, but....
1. would a raised loop before the tank be wise, rather than only a gradual rise up to the tank inlet. A loop would allow a bit of surge in the tank without waste trying to slop back down the hose to the toilet.
2. would a vented loop prior to the tank assist actually assist flow, by encouraging draining to the tank(from the vent down to the tank-about 250mm), or would it actually be a negative as it would stop any residual siphoning, if that were even possible, to draw waste from the loop down to the tank.

Hope that's clear. Incidentally as we only coastal cruise, and after a Jabsco divertor valve shaft sheared off (lack of use by previous owner....and half-way between the tank and overboard!) last summer, I'm removing it, and carrying a service kit for the manual pump to empty the tank!!
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 22:40   #15

Boat: Logan 33

apologies that last message is probably in the wrong thread, but I can't see how to move it now.

daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, flushing, oil