Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 06:20   #61

Boat: Beneteau First 345
Re: Economical Water tank treatment other than bleach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I go with the idea to add a filter. I use bleach and run all drinking water through an ultrafine filter. Not only does it remove chlorine taste but also bacteria, amoebas, viruses as small as 1-2 micron.

I use a Seagull which I think is grossly overpriced but a very nice bit of gear. Got mine cheap but unused from a marine surplus shop.
After a short career in water treatment I am now quite cautious about my water tanks.
Some information easily available on the internet can help with your treatment.
Filters properly sized can help with Cysts but Viruses require a disinfectant to neutralize the cell. Chlorine, peroxide, ozone are oxidizers and damage the cell wall causing the cell to die or not reproduce. UV is like a fatal sunburn to the critters but with cloudy water, tiny things floating in it, and the little tykes can hide in the shade.
RO can filter out a virus as the membrane is tight enough and cysts like Cryptosporidium are relatively huge at 7 to 10 Microns

Copied from the internet

Filtration Sizing

Oct 16, 2015 - Because Giardia cysts are resistant to normal disinfection, filtration is usually required. Cysts are large in comparison to bacteria and viruses (ranging from 7-10 microns in diameter); consequently, they are more easily removed by filtration
Viruses can reproduce only within living cells. They are 0.004 to 0.1 microns in size, which is about 100 times smaller than bacteria. Cysts: Capsules or protective sacs produced by many protozoans (as well as some bacteria and algae) as preparation for entering a resting or a specialized reproductive stage.
Virus: 50 to 500 Nanometers.(1,000,000th of a millimeter.) Cysts; 7 to 10 Microns (1,000th of a millimeter.)

I hope this helps...
Sail Away 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, men, water