Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2022, 09:15   #1

Boat: 1999 Beneteau Oceanis 40cc
Echotec watermakers

Hello...
Can anyone tell me what the membrane diameter is on a 40" 20gph Echotec watermaker? I called a dealer, but they were very candid about telling me anything. They just want the name plate of the system and then will sell me a membrane. I am 3000 miles away from the boat! I recently bought her, and the boat has sat for 3 years, so I want to have a new membrane with me. It is the standard echotec engine driven watermaker for 20gpm, if anyone can tell me please! Thanks
gwoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 21:04   #2

Re: Echotec watermakers

The Echotec uses standard 2.5" x 40" membranes. Wateranywhere sells them for under $200. Specs like this: 2.5"x40" | 700 GPD | 99.6% Salt Rejection | Watermaker Seawater RO

Echotec has been very unhelpful with my system, they keep charging me $80 for a set of brushes -- and the brushes they send me just fall apart in a few days. Echotec can't tell me if there's a special way to install them (they don't come with a uniform curve). No instructions. My existing brushes are short, don't work very well, but at least they don't fall apart!
apexio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 05:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexio View Post
The Echotec uses standard 2.5" x 40" membranes. Wateranywhere sells them for under $200. Specs like this: 2.5"x40" | 700 GPD | 99.6% Salt Rejection | Watermaker Seawater RO
Thanks for the info. I finally bought a Filmtex membrane from Amazon for $200. It is testing on average under 140ppm. All is good!
Old 20-08-2022, 05:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexio View Post

Echotec has been very unhelpful with my system, they keep charging me $80 for a set of brushes -- and the brushes they send me just fall apart in a few days. Echotec can't tell me if there's a special way to install them (they don't come with a uniform curve). No instructions. My existing brushes are short, don't work very well, but at least they don't fall apart!
I did not get the idea from echotec that they were interested in doing anything but selling you new stuff. Not helpful. I got the same from guys in the business on here.

I have an engine driven pump that I am going to convert to electric. They all tell me it is to difficult and expensive and in the end will not work. I know that is an out and out lie. It will work fine. I just need to find the right motor and mount. I can actually make it if I desire.
Sailorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 06:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman97 View Post
I have an engine driven pump that I am going to convert to electric. They all tell me it is to difficult and expensive and in the end will not work. I know that is an out and out lie. It will work fine. I just need to find the right motor and mount. I can actually make it if I desire.
Electric will work just fine. They sell electric or engine driven. I have been thinking to convert also so I don't have to run the engine to make water. I need a little more solar though.
Old 20-08-2022, 06:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoiler View Post
Electric will work just fine. They sell electric or engine driven. I have been thinking to convert also so I don't have to run the engine to make water. I need a little more solar though.

Oh I know that. They know that. The point is they don't want me to convert mine they want to sell me new.
Old 20-08-2022, 06:44   #7

Quote:
Oh I know that. They know that. The point is they don't want me to convert mine they want to sell me new.
Google it or search on youtube. Plenty of people have built home brew electric watermakers, and they give the links to the parts. One guy that did it was Ryan from Ryan and Sophie Sailing. Search that and watermaker in youtube. You can go AC or DC motors.
Old 20-08-2022, 06:45   #8

Quote:
In fact, you can pull the pulley off your high pressure pump and get a coupling for direct drive to the motor you will use.
Old 20-08-2022, 07:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoiler View Post
In fact, you can pull the pulley off your high pressure pump and get a coupling for direct drive to the motor you will use.

I know. It is the details.
Old 20-08-2022, 07:47   #10

Quote:
I know. It is the details.
Seriously.... S many people have done this and they have published all the parts and sources. Get to searching. You will find it. Look up Ryan and Sophie Sailing and find the watermaker episode. Here is one place to start.
https://www.passagemaker.com/uncateg...ng-it-yourself

Tags
water, watermaker