Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2022, 18:09   #1

Boat: 1999 Beneteau Oceanis 40cc
Echotec watermaker no pressure

I am just now firing up the watermaker on a used new boat to me. It sat on the hard for three years. I ran the watermaker at 800 psi and a single 40" membrane was making 25 gallons per hour. the TDS was around 540. This is too high? And then after 4 hours, the pressure came down completely and I shut it off. The high pressure housing is mounted in the ceiling of the engine room - a room you kneel in. I went in the back and everything was wet. It looks like the high pressure end of the vessel let lose a shower. What would this be? An o ring? I could not see anything wrong with the high pressure hose and fitting.
gwoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 18:38   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Echotec watermaker no pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoiler View Post
I am just now firing up the watermaker on a used new boat to me. It sat on the hard for three years. I ran the watermaker at 800 psi and a single 40" membrane was making 25 gallons per hour. the TDS was around 540. This is too high? And then after 4 hours, the pressure came down completely and I shut it off. The high pressure housing is mounted in the ceiling of the engine room - a room you kneel in. I went in the back and everything was wet. It looks like the high pressure end of the vessel let lose a shower. What would this be? An o ring? I could not see anything wrong with the high pressure hose and fitting.
Well, you need to look while it is showering to see, but it sounds like the high pressure vessel broke.

I've had that happen, the bottom of mine blew off. Damned hard to repair. I eventually immersed the whole end of the pressure vessel in a small tub of thickened epoxy which fixed it, but it was ugly. Finally got a new pressure vessel.

Good luck
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Well, you need to look while it is showering to see, but it sounds like the high pressure vessel broke.

I've had that happen, the bottom of mine blew off. Damned hard to repair. I eventually immersed the whole end of the pressure vessel in a small tub of thickened epoxy which fixed it, but it was ugly. Finally got a new pressure vessel.

Good luck
Thank you for the "good luck"! I pulled down the vessel from the ceiling and low and behold... The high pressure hose blew out right at the fitting. I will see how much was inside when it was assembled. But... an easy fix! But now the question is... Do I play around with a membrane that is a little above 500ppm? It sat preserved 3 years. I get 25 gal flow at 800psi. I was surprised. Should I just run it and see if it comes down? Or... change it now?
Old 12-08-2022, 06:51   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Thank you for the "good luck"! I pulled down the vessel from the ceiling and low and behold... The high pressure hose blew out right at the fitting. I will see how much was inside when it was assembled. But... an easy fix! But now the question is... Do I play around with a membrane that is a little above 500ppm? It sat preserved 3 years. I get 25 gal flow at 800psi. I was surprised. Should I just run it and see if it comes down? Or... change it now?
Google "is 500ppm acceptable for reverse osmosis water maker?"
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:43   #5

Boat: Herreshoff 36 Nereia

I have an Echotec single membrane unit which produces about 50 litres per hour. 25 gallons seems high!!
Talk to Echotec in Trinidad and qualify specs as running higher output than specified can do damage.
Paul Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:43   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:

Change it now. 500+ PPMs if correct, is an indication that something is amiss in your system. Probably just the membrane itself at 25gph, but a PPM range between 250 and 400 is more normal. A 150 PPM difference can be an infinitesimal difference most of the time in this range but once it creeps up above 500 it is an indicator that something is amiss, membrane, pressures flows, etc. and it is time to delve into this before it gets worse. Also, do this work at the least a month before you shove off just in case it is something different. Give yourself time as supply chain issues are affecting the watermaker companies as well.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Klein View Post
I have an Echotec single membrane unit which produces about 50 litres per hour. 25 gallons seems high!!
Talk to Echotec in Trinidad and qualify specs as running higher output than specified can do damage.
I was only at 800psi with 900 the limit. So I mentioned it here hoping someone would explain why ti could produce that much. Is it because the membrane is old? Just trying to learn. And, I find it painful to get in touch with Echotec. They are slow to email back. Their dealer up near Annapolis is not eager to share information with me. I have called him twice this year before I fired it up. Their customer support s lacking at least from my limited experience with the company.
Old 12-08-2022, 13:02   #8

I called Echotec in Trinidad last night. They are happy to talk.
Maybe download the owners manual if you don't have one. It has a good trouble shooting section which may help.
Old 12-08-2022, 13:12   #9

3 years is a long time to store a membrane and that may be your problem but I am not inclined tell you to spend money unnecessarily without input from a technician.
If your salt level is indeed high, then replace the membrane.
Old 12-08-2022, 13:15   #10

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

I have the 900-AML-2 and have had > 2000hrs of good production. Maintenance involved replacing end caps to filter housings ( the originals cracked ),replacing the (2 ) membranes at 1200 hrs. Next item will be the HP pump 'O' rings. I found that using every (2) days was necessary to keep filters preserved or a 'pickling ', as per book , for 6 month close down.Output is aro'300ppm but I keep away from dirty water and crowded anchorages. I have found that Darryl at Eco , Trinidad, to be very informative and very efficient.I'm not impressed with the latest batch of primary and secondary filters , supplied by Eco. Has anyone found a top quality supplier of filters ?
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 14:35   #11

Quote:
I called Echotec in Trinidad last night. They are happy to talk.
Maybe download the owners manual if you don't have one. It has a good trouble shooting section which may help.
My calling plan did not allow me to call them. I emailed them in the past and it was days to get an answer. Here in the USA there is not much support. I do have a manual. Thanks
Old 12-08-2022, 14:43   #12

Quote:
3 years is a long time to store a membrane and that may be your problem but I am not inclined tell you to spend money unnecessarily without input from a technician.
If your salt level is indeed high, then replace the membrane.
I am just trying to learn information about this. I know there can be less output from an old membrane, and they have the acid wash to help that. I think if microorganisms grow, that clogs them up for lower output. I did not understand what was actually causing high ppm. I will run it a little while because all I need at the moment is shower and dish water. I know the membrane had been replaced fairly recent before the boat went in storage.
Old 12-08-2022, 14:46   #13

Quote:
What pressure are you running for 50 liters an hour?
Old 12-08-2022, 15:47   #14

I run at 800 psi. As per instructions. My output is down to about 40 litres per minute at the moment as the membrane does need replacing after a year and a half shutdown and pickeling.
For the person who asked about prefilter availability, firstly I rotate out dirty filters and wash them with my salt pressure deck wash hose and dry in the sun. I've been doing this for 20 years and only replaced the membrane once, ten years ago. Polyester filters last year's. Secondly I search for prefilters on eBay. Many domestic water filter stores supply these and sell on line. Much cheaper than buying from Echotec and having to pay international air freight on top!!
I'm in Australia and my Telco allows 300 minutes to countries like the US on a A$30 per month plan!
Trinidad is country code 1 which is US. I think your Telco is ripping you off!
Good luck,, sorry I can't be more definitive.
Old 12-08-2022, 18:54   #15

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Quote:
I run at 800 psi. As per instructions. My output is down to about 40 litres per minute at the moment as the membrane does need replacing after a year and a half shutdown and pickeling.
For the person who asked about prefilter availability, firstly I rotate out dirty filters and wash them with my salt pressure deck wash hose and dry in the sun. I've been doing this for 20 years and only replaced the membrane once, ten years ago. Polyester filters last year's. Secondly I search for prefilters on eBay. Many domestic water filter stores supply these and sell on line. Much cheaper than buying from Echotec and having to pay international air freight on top!!
I'm in Australia and my Telco allows 300 minutes to countries like the US on a A$30 per month plan!
Trinidad is country code 1 which is US. I think your Telco is ripping you off!
Good luck,, sorry I can't be more definitive.
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the info. on pre-filters. With my 1st batch of filters , I would tow them for a spell and they were easily cleaned ( lost a few in the props tho' and one pair to a shark !!! ) This 2nd batch I had from Darryl, but they seem to start choking ( back pressure ) more frequently. I will search locally. Typical use is 60litre water per day. The new RO membranes did improve performance markedly . Our Mate may not know just what the last owner did to the membranes ?
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker