Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2011, 10:29   #1

Boat: Beneteau 47.7
Eberspacher d5ws

Dear all
Just purchased a second hand but in good condition Eberspacher d5 ws heater which I have now spent many a weekend installing and making all the pipes neat etc.
Unfortunately it all does not work and now feel stumped.
This unit has the external water pump which gets located in line with the flow in to the unit which has all been installed correctly. The heater clicks away and fires up using a easy start timer but after 1 min or so it closes down which I have now worked out to be down to the fact the heater is too hot because the pump is not circulating water.
I have taken the two wires out from the back of the pump which come from the control box and tested the pump which whines a way merrily pumping water around the system. So my problem must be in the control box?
Has anyone had this problem before?
I have read all the manuals and it does say that pimp should start when heater starts which is not the case. I have wondered if the controller has a setting on it which stops pump if you are using in a vehicle with it's own water pump,
I have also checked the pump cables and no power detected,
Thanks again Nick
Tomtom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 10:43   #2

Someone that I know has said that in the controller box there are fuses and the pump will be connected to one in the box
Not sure if that is the case.?
Old 29-10-2011, 11:05   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Re: Eberspacher d5ws

I don't know this unit, but don't most of the hot water units have expansion tanks? Don't they have to be higher than everything else? Do you know that your system is bled so that no bubbles/air-locks are present?

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 01:49   #4

Thanks for your answer. I believe this is electrical problem as no power to pump. Thanks
Old 31-10-2011, 06:59   #5

I have done some more digging and now wonder if the timer might not be set at the right function. Apparently it should be set to ventilate! I have an easy start t timer.
Will try later
Nick
Old 31-10-2011, 11:05   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Nick, have you tired contacting Eberspacher directly?

Corporate Site - J. Eberspächer GmbH & Co. KG is their English home page. With a VOIP phone service (i.e. Google Voice) it should cost something like two cents a minute to call them if you don't want to play email and time zone delays. I'd expect the support to be first class, like the product.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 15:04   #7

Thanks for the update and advice.
I actually called them today and they have advised calling their network of dealers/ service agents. It appears that they only take calls directly from their dealer network. Thanks for the advice though. Best wishes nick
Old 31-10-2011, 16:28   #8

Boat: Seafarer 38

I used to get F14 errors that sound almost exactly like what you are experiencing. My problems were related to air in the system. Make sure that you don't have air in your pump and furnace and this should work fine. 10 to one odds says that this is your problem. It took me several days of frustration to figure this one out. Good luck,
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 16:29   #9

You can "T" into your supply line for the pump and gravity flow more coolant into the system while also letting bubbles settle out of your funnel. An expansion tank that allows bubbles out and gravity feeds to your pump inlet will also help.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:25   #10

Hi thanks for your reply.
Maybe there is air in the system but I do have an expansion tank. What is very confusing is that the pump does not even start. I have not checke the control box to see if there is power!
Would the pump not start 1st and then shut down when no water appears. Nick
Old 01-11-2011, 07:39   #11

I have the d5 with the internal pump, but when mine runs the pump doesn't seem to run all of the time. It also isn't loud like a diaphragm pump. If you wanted to see if the pump is getting current you could put a volt meter on it. I would try giving it a smooth airless supply of coolant first.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:09   #12

Thanks for the response. I have tried that and not getting any power to the pump. Will try the control box!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:29   #13

You may want to ask Espar if the pump is supposed to run at the start. Mine seems to for a second and then waits, then pumps, etc. but the heater is great. Good luck
Old 01-11-2011, 09:41   #14

OK an update - I have now spoken with the Eperspacher Engineer who has said that this a common problem with the Eberspacher when using a D5 model from a vehicle that you are adapting for marine use - some actually dont work as they have been wired in to a ecu from a vehicle... luckily the one that I have is a little less complicated but needs some modification -
The following to get the pump to run -
Cut the trigger wire that goes from the wiring loom to the Eberpsacher (Yellow I believe) split this cable to a relay and then wire the relay to the water pump - this will then ensure that when the power is going to the heater the water pump is working continuosly - This seems like a plan -
I think that if it is the control/trigger wire for the Eberspacher fan which continues on shut down until the unit is cool them the water will continue to circulate and disipate additional heat which will be better for the unit! Fingers crossed otherwise a new unit! Thanks for everyones posts..