Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2023, 18:32   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Drop in replacement for standard jabsco that's not jabsco

I want to replace my new Jabsco Manual twist and lock (it is leaking from the bowl on a new boat; it is less expensive to just replace the whole thing than have a technician troubleshoot if the base is cracked or is it a gasket or the plug etc). I have had this toilet on multiple boats for the last 20 years so I know it well having replaced 20 joker valves and probably 6 pump assemblies.

Before I get another of the same, is there a drop in replacement of a different brand manual toilet that works better than this jabsco.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 18:50   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Drop in replacement for standard jabsco that's not jabsco

The Raritan PH SuperFlush is the current version of their tried and true PHII, which has been the top rated manual toilet pump since they introduced the PII in 1983and has a footprint that matches the Jabsco mounting bolt pattern. It's considerably more expensive, but will provide 20+ years of reliable trouble free service with minimal repairs if it's just kept very well lubricated, the joker valve is replaced annually and is rebuilt (about $60 for the kit) every 5-6 years.

Defender has it for an excellent price...the household version is a bit more. I've read they offer free shipping on $100+ orders.

Raritan PH SuperFlush Manual Toilet at Defender;

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 19:13   #3

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

They are awesome. Weíve had one for many many many years. Lube it with superlube. I used to use vegetable oil and vinegar, but the Head Mistress recommended otherwise. It does have 1 weak spot. The 1210 handle socket. Weíve broken about 1 every 10 years. Always carried a spare, and once had to use a bucket until I was able to 3D print one, then finally got a replacement. LoL
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 06:22   #4

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
The Raritan PH SuperFlush is the current version of their tried and true PHII, which has been the top rated manual toilet pump since they introduced the PII in 1983and has a footprint that matches the Jabsco mounting bolt pattern. It's considerably more expensive, but will provide 20+ years of reliable trouble free service with minimal repairs if it's just kept very well lubricated, the joker valve is replaced annually and is rebuilt (about $60 for the kit) every 5-6 years.

Defender has it for an excellent price...the household version is a bit more. I've read they offer free shipping on $100+ orders.

Raritan PH SuperFlush Manual Toilet at Defender;

--Peggie
Peg, thanks again for your excellent advice. The only issue I see with this drop in replacement is that exit connector to the holding tank faces down, not out/up as with the Jabsco. Not sure I have enough extra hose. Same with the water intake, on the Jabsco it faces back, on Raritan is faces down in the front. Need longer hose.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 07:30   #5

I third the Raritan. It does have a straight discharge option if that helps:

https://defender.com/en_us/raritan-s...-adapter-1222b

Don't know of anything for the flush water though, other than an elbow and more hose clamps.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 07:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

Discharge fitting can be oriented any direction--up, down, to either side, or replaced with a straight fitting. As for the intake fitting location, new hose is the solution. You can use Shields or Trident Flex PVC #148 (the cheapest sanitation hose.) Do not use clear water hose.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 08:20   #7

Check out the blow-out diagram from the Raritan site:

https://www.raritaneng.com/uploads/L...w-e7e702c5.pdf

That discharge flange and elbow appear to be two separate parts. I would assume that the elbow can be rotated 360 degrees. Otherwise it would make 'universal' installation a challenge.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 20:20   #8

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33

I'm also planning to replace my toilet (Raritan PHC) with a SuperFlush. Search the internet, as I found three suppliers selling it almost $100 less than others mentioned. One of them with free shipping. If you have any questions about Raritan's products give them a call. I did today and talked with Mac who help straightened me out on a couple items.

DD
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, men