Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 20:06   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Double Doodie in Georgia and Florida

Would Double Doodie bags be an answer to the Georgia and Florida anchoring restrictions? They are a pair of heavy poly bags, the outer one zip lock, and you line your head with them....

https://relianceoutdoors.com/product...ation/192.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-...83-13/14550463

When they're full (three to six uses), carry them ashore and toss them in a dumpster or something. Would they be legal in Florida and Georgia, for example?
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 14:49   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch
Re: Double Doodie in Georgia and Florida

I am of the opinion that many are reading too much into Georgia HB 201 with regard to composting toilets. Although the statute specifically refers to a pump out process with respect to Type I, II, and III toilets, there is no mention concerning removable/temporary/porta-potty toilets. There is no mention about any enforcement if said live aboard boat does not have a Type I,II,or II toilet aboard. The purpose is to have no overboard waste discharge into Georgia estuarine waters.

USCG simply states that composting toilets "can" be regarded as Type III toilets, not that they "are specifically" Type III toilets. The composting toilet has no overboard discharge, therefore meets every intention of HB 210 with regard to marine waste management.

The requirement that a permanent recording of the "emptying" process would be a note in the Captain's Log of when and where any disposal took place.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 14:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Only thing Ga truly cares about is if you anchor within sight of Richie Rich’s house, then they will have a fit.
They solved that I believe with the new law that says you can’t anchor within 1000 ft of any kind of structure.
That’s over three foot ball field lengths, enough I guess to make Richie happy.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 16:02   #4

Seymore asked about the Georgia law and whether Double Doodie bags would be a substitute for a holding tank system. Since Seymore apparently does not comply with the "pump out" provision, I assumed he has a composting toilet.

There is a very strong case to be made that a composting toilet will not be in violation of this new statute.
Old 10-02-2020, 17:03   #5

Boat: Vagabond 42

We are living aboard at a marina in GA using a composting head. No issues. The double doodle bag is an interesting idea. Can't see how it is significantly different from our head.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Here in northern Europe, we have been using disposable toilet liners when marina toilets are not available or when in discharge restricted areas like the Caledonian Canal.

Whether using a composting toilet or a "doodle" sack, which recycle bin does one use???
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:52   #7
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
We are living aboard at a marina in GA using a composting head. No issues. The double doodle bag is an interesting idea. Can't see how it is significantly different from our head.

Except that it's a lot cheaper and requires zero maintenance. And for a single-hander underway, it can even be brought up to the cockpit.

You don't have to use the expensive bags. Trash bags work. And the bucket doubles as a bailing bucket, if it comes to that.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:53   #8
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Here in northern Europe, we have been using disposable toilet liners when marina toilets are not available or when in discharge restricted areas like the Caledonian Canal.

Whether using a composting toilet or a "doodle" sack, which recycle bin does one use???

The same one people use for disposable diapers. It's definitely not "recyclable."

If you get boarded, things are a lot simpler. When asked about my head, I just replied: "it's that bucket over there. I drop the bags in the dumpster ashore." End of story.

It's never been an issue for guests, but I don't get many princesses aboard. For them, if we're more than 3 miles offshore, I suggest "direct deposit" at the shrouds if they don't like the bucket. Maybe that's why I don't see many princesses? Or maybe it's my "no high heels" policy. Whatever. It's fine with me.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:22   #9

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Given the glacial speed of laws updated for technology, I doubt that a composting toilet would be compliant with Ga law. I also strongly doubt that any health department would appreciate your dumping human waste into a dumpster. Sorry to sound negative but best to avoid unpleasant surprises.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:11   #10

The instructions on the Cleanwaste Wagbag bag are to dispose of them in "ordinary garbage". (Products)

The same dumping protocol applies to adult and baby diapers. All of these products are considered municipal solid trash.

I would caution that we utilize discretion by securely and discretely bagging any waste of this nature when dumping. If we do not make a problem, there will be no cause for anyone to fix a problem.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:40   #11

https://theboatgalley.com/emergency-toilet-the-wag-bag/
Old 11-02-2020, 11:47   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

Georgia HB 201 has a fair number of requirements, but they apply to:

Quote:
Persons operating or floating live-aboard vessels with marine toilets and subject to the requirements of this Code section....
The law has its own section of definitions, but neither "marine" nor "toilet" is defined therein. I think a composter would have a pretty decent chance of arguing that they don't have a "marine toilet".

The only other provision of the law that would be of concern says that your MSD has to have a "secured mechanism" that "prevents discharge" and cites locked seacocks, etc. as examples. That should be a pretty low bar for a composter.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 20:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
Seymore asked about the Georgia law and whether Double Doodie bags would be a substitute for a holding tank system. Since Seymore apparently does not comply with the "pump out" provision, I assumed he has a composting toilet.

There is a very strong case to be made that a composting toilet will not be in violation of this new statute.
My boat has a Baby Blake, which is a conventional toilet. It has a holding tank, which is not used because I use marina and shore facilities, and Double Doodie when the occasion warrants.

In general, is the use of Double Doodie bags legal for boats cruising in Georgia waters? That is, they look like a good desirable concept for all, little known. What say you, all?
Old 12-02-2020, 04:19   #14

The Double Doodie wag bag system is widely accepted for use for use in containing and removing human waste from sensitive ecological areas. It is logical that it would be accepted in Georgia's waters.

It would be necessary to make a log entry as to when and where those used bags were dumped ashore to meet the statute's requirement "shall create and maintain for at least one year after creation records which indicate the name and location of pump-out facilities used and the dates of such use".

Composting toilets should also be accepted under the same reasoning, they can be considered portable toilets that "prohibit the discharge of sewage from such vessels into estuarine areas of this state".
Old 12-02-2020, 20:18   #15

The opinion seems to be that Double Doodie is OK for use in Georgia waters.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Tags
florida, georgia