Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 14:44   #1

Do good electric toilets suck all liquid out each flush?

I have a sanimarin electric toilet which is OK, it never get's clogged at least. However I'm thinking of replacing it with a vac-u-flush because it doesn't seem to be able to suck out the last 1/4 cup or so of liquid at the end of each flush. If you are flushing down solid waste, it macerates it and leaves 1/4 cup of macerated poop in the bowl. If you fill the bowl with another cup of water to flush that down, it just dilutes the macerated waste and you still have 1/4 cup of now somewhat diluted macerated poop in the bowl. In the end, it requires a couple cups of water and multiple flushes before you have clean water sitting in the bottom. Similar but not quite as bad with urine, you always end up with just somewhat diluted urine sitting in the bowl unless you use a lot of water to flush and the smell gets pretty bad.

My question is if this is a function of a fault in the toilet, or just a poor design that doesn't happen with something like a Raritan Elegance? It wouldn't be such a big deal but the Mahe 36 has only a 12 gallon holding tank and one toilet so with a family of 4 you can't do a 3 day weekend without a pump-out if you have to flush several cups of water down for every flush.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 14:52   #2

Boat: Spindrift 43
Re: Do good electric toilets suck all liquid out each flush?

I don’t know about your current system, but I do know about the Vacuflush... that thing is as about as good as it gets for marine sanitation. Step on the petal, EVERYTHING is gone in the blink of an eye.

I don’t know how complex retrofitting one would be as it requires a sealed negative pressure system throughout the black water system, but if you’re thinking about it, I say it’s a good investment. I loved mine in my last boat, and I was on it as a live aboard so it got used as regularly As a household system.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 14:54   #3

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

It's strange that you have macerated anything in the toilet. I'd say you've got a problem with your duckbill valve leaking poo back into the bowl.
Once your crap is macerated, it should never see the bowl again.

Good luck.
Paul.
Old 08-09-2020, 14:57   #4

I have an electric toilet (can't check manufacturer right now) and nothing like this happens. It sucks everything and leaves clean water.
Maybe a drain hose is clogged so macerator has a problem with pumping out.
Hubert79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 15:23   #5

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Lipari 41

I have 2 sanimarin toilets and dont have the issue you are describing, they work great for me and would recommend them to anyone
coriobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 15:36   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

In my experience, Raritan Marine Elegance does not remove 100% of the liquid.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:03   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

My Sea Era leaves a tiny bit of liquid, but not much. Maybe 2 ounces or so in the pump that's visible way down in the hole at the bottom of the bowl. If you under-flush it'll sometimes leave a tiny bit of macerated crap behind (no valve separating the macerator blade from the bowl). But it takes very little additional water to push that through.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:33   #8
Marine Service Provider

Does the toilet discharge line run uphill to the tank? If so, and if the joker valve in the toilet discharge fitting is worn, waste that isn't making it to the tank may be running back to the toilet.

Do you add water to the bowl before a solid waste deposit? If not, you should be. Macerating solids without any water is like trying macerate a banana in a blender without any liquid. If your toilet isn't one that allows you to add water to the bowl, use a cup from the sink. You'll also need a lot less flush water to leave the bowl clean.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:42   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

With my single button Sea Era, I find the next best thing to pouring in a cup of water is to hit the button for a second so it feeds a little water in, then stop and let everything run to the bottom. Then hit it again and it flushes much more effectively (and with less water) than if you just push and hold once until it's done.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:04   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post

My question is if this is a function of a fault in the toilet, or just a poor design that doesn't happen with something like a Raritan Elegance?
My Raritan Elegance with the multifunction controller gets pretty much 100% of the water out of the bowl. In fact I normally run the water after to put a water trap in the bowl.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:10   #11

Thanks for all the pointers. It's not a leaking duckbill since I already separately put a lot of effort into fixing that and we've tried all combos of adding water before, after, and during. Adding water before is almost a requirement to get it to suck the waste out, so we universally do that. But I am now questioning if there is supposed to be a duckbill or similar valve before the macerator (mine is at the toilet exit)? If not, it seems inevitable that the contents of the macerator would remain in the toilet after a flush? Maybe just time for the Elegance?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Thanks for all the pointers. It's not a leaking duckbill since I already separately put a lot of effort into fixing that and we've tried all combos of adding water before, after, and during. Adding water before is almost a requirement to get it to suck the waste out, so we universally do that. But I am now questioning if there is supposed to be a duckbill or similar valve before the macerator (mine is at the toilet exit)? If not, it seems inevitable that the contents of the macerator would remain in the toilet after a flush? Maybe just time for the Elegance?
The elegance is exactly the same.

A gross little tablespoon of it left after the dry flush.

You have to keep on putting more and more water through If you want the tablespoon full of unflushed stuff to be non-brown. But the tablespoon (or more) always remains.

Then there is the matter of getting a well formed log to even make it to the macerator.

A well formed, straight, Solid one can’t make the tight corner at the bottom of the bowl in a marine elegance. So you better keep a “bathroom knife” handy for some unpleasant chopping.

In short, the marine elegance is not going to solve the problem and depending on the solidity of your waste, will introduce a nasty new problem.

Being fed up with cutting my waste most of the time with a knife is why I decided to try composting )desiccating) heads. It was the last and final straw for me with marine heads.

Don’t waste money on a marine elegance thinking it’ll solve your problems. It behaves exactly like your current one.

Duckbill is also after the macerator. Wish I dint know any of this, but it’s why I’m one of those composting head fans now. Ha ha
Old 09-09-2020, 06:53   #13
Marine Service Provider

The elegance is exactly the same. A gross little tablespoon of it left after the dry flush.

There won't be if you add water to the bowl ahead of solids and use "light flush" instead of dry flush. Dry flush for urine only, but at least once a day "light flush with clean water to rinse out the toilet pump and discharge line. This shouldn't add much more than a quart of water to the tank.

That doesn't apply only to the Elegance. If your toilet isn't one that can bring water into the bowl ahead of use, use a cup from the sink. If water added to the bowl just runs out, it's way PAST time to replace the joker valve. You can control the amount of flush water any macerating electric toilet uses by replacing the single flush button with 3 option rocker switch (Raritan calls theirs "momentary flush") that lets you bring in water ahead of use, dry flush and simultaneously bring in water and flush.

And btw...adding water to a manual toilet bowl ahead of solids leaves the bowl a lot cleaner and moves the flush to the tank with fewer pumps.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:59   #14

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Mine is the same Dometic. You have to have enough water after the macerator has done its job. As the macerator will be just be sucking air otherwise. In any case, don't you use enough water to ensure all the waste is removed from the lines/hoses?

The in flow on my toilet isn't great, so I use the showerhead. It doesn't take much to get a nice clean bowl.

P.S Dry flush with urine makes no sense either, otherwise you've then got urine just stuck to the bowl for that lovely pub toilet urinal smell.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
The elegance is exactly the same. A gross little tablespoon of it left after the dry flush.

There won't be if you add water to the bowl ahead of solids and use "light flush" instead of dry flush. Dry flush for urine only, but at least once a day "light flush with clean water to rinse out the toilet pump and discharge line. This shouldn't add much more than a quart of water to the tank.

That doesn't apply only to the Elegance. If your toilet isn't one that can bring water into the bowl ahead of use, use a cup from the sink. If water added to the bowl just runs out, it's way PAST time to replace the joker valve. You can control the amount of flush water any macerating electric toilet uses by replacing the single flush button with 3 option rocker switch (Raritan calls theirs "momentary flush") that lets you bring in water ahead of use, dry flush and simultaneously bring in water and flush.

And btw...adding water to a manual toilet bowl ahead of solids leaves the bowl a lot cleaner and moves the flush to the tank with fewer pumps.

--Peggie
Yet still, there is always some toilet water flowing back out from the macerator to the bottom of the bowl, after every flush.

That’s what the OP is concerned with.

It’s about a 1-2 tablespoons on dry flush. I’d assume it’s exactly the same on any flush. It’s just mixed in with other water on other flush modes.

“ Do good electric toilets suck all liquid out each flush?”

Answer: If you consider a Raritan Marine Elegance a “good electric toilet “, no, they do not suck all the liquid out on each flush.

Tags
electric, oil