Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2015, 11:54   #16

Re: DIY flexible water bladders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
You have gotten some good advice from others. (Gotta love this forum when the members put their heads together on a challenge or topic!)

I have another idea… (see photo)

Just think of the drinking of the wine as part of the project.
If you ever want to smuggle 5 ltrs of wine past security at a ball game...

I took the (full) bladder out and stuffed it into the armpit area of my windbreaker. Then I carried the windbreaker in on my arm, with the wine bladder folded right on my elbow. They frisked me and told me to hold my arms out. They patted me down, patted the lower parts of the jacket, but not my arm, where it was.

Everyone got cups of water, and we used the water cups to drink the wine during the game.

Back to the op...

Line-X is a version of polyurea, used to seal roofs, tanks, protect truck beds, and most recently the military is using it as part of a multi layer blast proofing system.

If your tank area is accessible enough that they can aim a spray gun in there, they might be able to coat the entire interior and turn it into one big tank, or whatever portion you like.

There's a video on youtube where they spray a piece of cardboard, stick it next to another piece of cardboard, and build the sides and bottom of a waterproof box. Then they put 2 gal of water in it and spray the water, sealing it in. It ends up being a very rugged 2 gal water jug.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 15:21   #17

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Line-X is a version of polyurea, used to seal roofs, tanks, protect truck beds, and most recently the military is using it as part of a multi layer blast proofing system.

If your tank area is accessible enough that they can aim a spray gun in there, they might be able to coat the entire interior and turn it into one big tank, or whatever portion you like.

There's a video on youtube where they spray a piece of cardboard, stick it next to another piece of cardboard, and build the sides and bottom of a waterproof box. Then they put 2 gal of water in it and spray the water, sealing it in. It ends up being a very rugged 2 gal water jug.
very interesting, I need to find out if it somehow can be DIY

here's the video.

Old 05-06-2015, 15:30   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

But is the LineX suitable for drinking water tanks?

Chafe protection should be no issue. The ubiquitous blue poly tarps, several layers of them over a denser rubber padding, would allow the tank to slip around and they could be cheaply inspected or replaced from time to time.

Short-nap synthetic carpet (Astroturf type) also would do, no mildew there, probably mildicides in the plastic.

I'm told the doormats that are made of strips of tires with gaps between them are great for this purpose, tire tread being very rugged and the gaps allowing lots of circulation and drainage. Of course those are pretty much out of fashion these days, aren't they?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 00:01   #19

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

On a limited budget I suggest doing what I did many years ago and simply sealing up the compartment (RTV and plugs) and making the hull, floors and the cabin sole the tank. Like all solid tanks it will need a breather (I just ran a plastic tube up behind the galley lockers. There are now much better flushes to take away the composite taste (I just got used to it) but now-days I'd put a good potable water spray paint inside the tank. A secondary benefit is you end up with a crash compartment if the hull is ever punched into the tank.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water