Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2021, 11:13   #31

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Digital Thermostat in Fridge

My thermostat is located on the back wall of the fridge. The wire end fits in an open ended small metal tube, then has a small plastic grill around that. It measures air temp. It works fine.

Most times when you open the fridge and dump all the cold air out, it needs to cycle on anyway. I wouldn't mess with a bath.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 16:05   #32

Boat: Hanse 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerking View Post
We use a small length of copper tube with an ID big enough to fit the probe and some mineral oil.
Cap it off, place it on the wall in the correct position, slide the probe in and top it off with the oil.
It will keep the unit from cycling, and give the temp a chance to recover.
Sounds like a good idea. I'll try it.
Gypsy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 16:17   #33
cruiser

Boat: 2017

Quote:
We use a small length of copper tube with an ID big enough to fit the probe and some mineral oil.
Cap it off, place it on the wall in the correct position, slide the probe in and top it off with the oil.
Great idea, and also the oil wont evaporate like the water does.
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 16:28   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
My thermostat is located on the back wall of the fridge. The wire end fits in an open ended small metal tube, then has a small plastic grill around that. It measures air temp. It works fine.

Most times when you open the fridge and dump all the cold air out, it needs to cycle on anyway. I wouldn't mess with a bath.
And that's where you are incorrect. There is no such thing as cold, unless you are actually describing absolute zero.
Heat on the other hand is real and sensible.

You never let cold out of anything.
You let heat in, and when you do your super sensitive temp probe reacts.
If your plates are frozen and everything is cold, why not let the plate do what its designed to do...which is absorb heat and then you can watch the temp drop without the compressor running after you grab a cold brewski.. after all all you did was open the door and then close it.
I would invite you all to do some reading on the laws of thermodynamics and how heat moves.
It is all there.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 18:04   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

I didn't realize people could made installing a $12 digital thermostat so complex. When i installed mine in the frig and freezer I just spent a couple of days adjusting till i found the setting that kept the boxes the right temperature.
Old 19-05-2021, 19:11   #36

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
And that's where you are incorrect. There is no such thing as cold, unless you are actually describing absolute zero.

Heat on the other hand is real and sensible.

You never let cold out of anything.

You let heat in, and when you do your super sensitive temp probe reacts.

If your plates are frozen and everything is cold, why not let the plate do what its designed to do...which is absorb heat and then you can watch the temp drop without the compressor running after you grab a cold brewski.. after all all you did was open the door and then close it.

I would invite you all to do some reading on the laws of thermodynamics and how heat moves.

It is all there.
I think I said cold air. And it's cold relative to the warm air on the outside of the fridge. I didn't think I had to go to that detail.

Just fyi, Dometic sells the ITC thermostats with a grill. No fluid bath. Works on air temp only. Why make it complicated?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 00:00   #37

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)

Quote:
Is there a reason you used oil and not water? Unless the probe is placed in the freezer/frozen section
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 16:16   #38
Marine Service Provider

Good mineral oil won't evaporate, or grow stuff. And its viscosity helps smooth the temp as sensed by the control.
I think.
We also actually use a special thermal paste to do the same thing.
35 years in and still clueless....ha!
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote