Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2013, 16:44   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Dickinson Heat Coil Installation

I am wondering if any of the members have a Heat Coil installed in one of their diesel heater, this accessory allows hot water to be plumbed to radiators in the boat to get heat to other areas of the boat as well as make hot water for the sinks and is what your experience with this system.
Old 25-12-2013, 16:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Dickinson Heat Coil Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I am wondering if any of the members have a Heat Coil installed in one of their diesel heater, this accessory allows hot water to be plumbed to radiators in the boat to get heat to other areas of the boat as well as make hot water for the sinks and is what your experience with this system.
Yep,

I have a 3 turn coil in my Dickinson Atlantic. It's an easy retrofit, kit from the manufacture.

It's best if you can set it up as a thermo siphon. Other wise you need to install a re-circ pump with thermostat, the pump must run when ever the stove is operating. Else you will creat a steam hazard from boiling the water in the turns.

Lloyd

Here is my system.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 17:22   #3

Are you happy with the system and is the thermo syphon system difficult to set, don't want to run a pump
Old 25-12-2013, 17:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Are you happy with the system and is the thermo syphon system difficult to set, don't want to run a pump
Yes, it was worth the install. I have to run a circ, as I didn't have a location above to set up thermo-siphon.

But I have many pumps, so not an issue, I can preheat both engines and the generator. It doesn't take much of a pump to stop boiling the turns.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 15:37   #5

I know this was an old post but am getting interested in retrofitting the heater coil in my Dickenson to heat radiators and make hot water, anyone out there with this type of setup?
Old 16-01-2016, 16:18   #6

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

cburger, sorry, I have no info about heat coils.

A while back, I remember you were having trouble getting your Dickinson heater to burn cleanly. Did you get that issue sorted out? If so, what was your solution?

Thanks,

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 19:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a coil in the diesel stove for heating my hot water. Because the hot water tank is below and 30' away, I use a circulation pump. I also use a coil in a pellet stove that is used to heat my boiler for the hydronic system. It also uses a circulation pump for the same reason. In both cases I don't use a separate heat exchanger. Just the water in the tank or the hydronic water.
If you're building a system from scratch, you need an expansion tank or an open reservoir. You will need a pressure relief valve near where the water exits the stove. Water turning to steam expands 16 times, meaning it makes pressure much faster than an air compressor and an explosion can happen. It makes a big difference having your lines insulated.

If your radiators are above the stove, you can make a thermal circulation system. For example, the hot water exits from the top of the stove coil, rises to the radiator top and falls as it passes thru the radiator and looses heat. It returns to the bottom of the stove coil.
Boiler systems like I have and found in some houses run about 15psi of pressure. That allows a higher water temperature w/o turning to steam. 15 psi allows a water temperature of under 250° F.

This boat used baseboard radiators when I bought it. I changed over to marine forced air heaters because I could heat a cold boat faster and at a lower water temperature. The radiators took 2+ hours to heat from cold. The forced air takes about 30 minutes

My boiler was set at 220°-240° and now is 160°-180°. The boiler is oil fired, and if the pellet stove isn't on saves 1-2 gallons a day at the lower temperature.
If you always keep the temperature below 180° you can use hot water pvc pipe. If you don't have absolute temperature control or don't know your temperatures, use copper pipe.
I installed thermometers on both sides of both coils so I know my temps. Also valves so I can regulate the flow rate and shut down the coil in case of a leak.
The problem with the diesel stoves burning dirty is the new fuel the EPA is shoving down our throats. It doesn't burn as well. Adding a catalyst ( like Archoil AR6200) helps the stove burn clean, engines start better in cold weather, too. Also, a separate tank with #1 diesel or kerosene works.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
cburger, sorry, I have no info about heat coils.

A while back, I remember you were having trouble getting your Dickinson heater to burn cleanly. Did you get that issue sorted out? If so, what was your solution?

Thanks,

Steve
Yes issues all sorted out, always start the heater with about an ounce of methanol and installed Dickensons low sulpher diesel baffle.
Old 29-01-2016, 13:29   #9

Boat: san jaun 30

I have a Newport bulkhead heater with a factory coil in it. They only spec for a single turn coil in these. I have it connected to an 11gal tank. It hasnt been used a lot yet, but it works via thermosiphon. The tank must be at correct height in relation to the coil, or, as mentioned, you may need a circulating pump. I am doubtful that this would have capacity for hydronic heating, but a 2 or 3 turn coil may well work.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pappa gasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dickinson, installation, oil