Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 22:58   #1

Boat: Skookum 47
Deck Mounted Exhaust Fan - Can't Seem To Find

Looking for a couple replacement units that are on my boat. One is in the galley and they other is in the head. They are both operated by an on/off switch and are DC powered. Can't seem to find anything online. I forgot to take a real good look at them when I was down in Mexico last time, and have no idea of the make and model.

They look like this. The plastic inside is shredded, and I am sure it aides in keeping water out. Wonder if the builder made this with a separate fan down below coupled with the stainless deck cap for a custom job, or were these sold as a unit? I suppose I really only need the plastic, but doubt I'll be able to buy "just" that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 01:21   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Deck Mounted Exhaust Fan - Can't Seem To Find

I installed a couple of Nico Fico solar exhaust vents on one of my boats ages ago, & was quite happy with them. They didn't have any water traps in them, but definitely pulled the moisture out of the galley & head. And with some ingenuity, it's be possible to add means for keeping out everything but solid green water over the deck. As well as adding manual on/off switches to them. Though I don't think that switches are truly needed.
Defender.com Search Results: nicro solar vent

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 04:39   #3

Boat: gozzard 44

Last I researched, Nicro no longer makes a solar/12v fan. Since my fan was in a shower ceiling I needed ventilation when required not just while the sun shines.

I installed a new Nicro solar vent, then piggie-backed a Vetus electric fan underneath. It works fine with no issues.

VETUS electric ventilator, type FAN, 12 Volt, 2 speeds - Electric ventilators - Ventilation

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 10:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I installed a couple of Nico Fico solar exhaust vents on one of my boats ages ago, & was quite happy with them. They didn't have any water traps in them, but definitely pulled the moisture out of the galley & head. And with some ingenuity, it's be possible to add means for keeping out everything but solid green water over the deck. As well as adding manual on/off switches to them. Though I don't think that switches are truly needed.
Defender.com Search Results: nicro solar vent
I saw those, but I am not looking for a solar option. The fan is under the range hood over my galley stove. Really nice in dissipating the heat down below. I need on demand power, which I have. I just need to find a dome top like the one in the picture, although they seem to be in short supply.

I guess I could use the solar style in conjunction with my fan. I am sure the fan motor has enough power to blow through the solar option. Hmmm….
Old 23-08-2016, 10:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1 View Post
Last I researched, Nicro no longer makes a solar/12v fan. Since my fan was in a shower ceiling I needed ventilation when required not just while the sun shines.

I installed a new Nicro solar vent, then piggie-backed a Vetus electric fan underneath. It works fine with no issues.

VETUS electric ventilator, type FAN, 12 Volt, 2 speeds - Electric ventilators - Ventilation

Ronbo
Ronbo, There are several Nicro solar vents at Defender via the link which I provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Bay Dude View Post
I saw those, but I am not looking for a solar option. The fan is under the range hood over my galley stove. Really nice in dissipating the heat down below. I need on demand power, which I have. I just need to find a dome top like the one in the picture, although they seem to be in short supply.

I guess I could use the solar style in conjunction with my fan. I am sure the fan motor has enough power to blow through the solar option. Hmmm….

Guys, what I said in my other post is that it's usually possible to disassemble these solar vent fan units in order to add wiring for a switch, or a different power supply, etc.
Since, several years back, I took more than one apart in order to install a new battery. As the original one would no longer hold much of a charge. So I doubt that these are super complex to do surgery on either.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 23-08-2016, 11:06   #6

Quote:
Ronbo, There are several Nicro solar vents at Defender via the link which I provided.

Guys, what I said in my other post is that it's usually possible to disassemble these solar vent fan units in order to add wiring for a switch, or a different power supply, etc.
Since, several years back, I took more than one apart in order to install a new battery. As the original one would no longer hold much of a charge. So I doubt that these are super complex to do surgery on either.
If I would only read at a slower pace I guess I'll get ready to operate.
Old 23-08-2016, 15:35   #7

Uncivilized,
Like I said I bought a new solar Nico vent, from Defender, and piggy-backed a 12 volt Vetus fan underneath. You can't simply convert a solar vent to operate off 12 volts because the solar panel provides only a couple volts. You need to build a little circuit to reduce 12 volts to operate the fan without burning it out.
Old 23-08-2016, 15:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use bilge blowers for ventilators. I add a reostat to control speed. They can move much more air. Bilge blower about $25, Vertus about $85.
I use a couple at slow speed for bilge vents and each head and range hood for venting at full speed.
They can be plumbed into plastic or stainless pipe and fittings. Or flexible vent hose.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 09:36   #9

Quote:

You are correct. Probably any electronics shop(a real shop, not radio shack) can rewire to brand new condition. Or if you are handy with tools, do it yourself. Parts are available at almost any electronics shop. Think Popular Mechanics had an article about building your own solar fan a while back.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 11:04   #10

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I use bilge blowers for ventilators. I add a reostat to control speed. They can move much more air. Bilge blower about $25, Vertus about $85.
I use a couple at slow speed for bilge vents and each head and range hood for venting at full speed.
They can be plumbed into plastic or stainless pipe and fittings. Or flexible vent hose.
Are these available in a low profile? My trimaran came from B.C. where everybody has a propane heater. The P.O. installed one in the forward v-berth complete with chimney and top above deck. I'd like to rip the entire thing out and need to put something to cover the good sized hole that isn't too god awful to look at on deck! Oh, and it must be able to keep the water out!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 14:07   #11

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

ufo vent from whitworths
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 05:27   #12
Marine Service Provider

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C6880%7C2290139%7C2290143&id=1648765
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 05:40   #13

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Thanks for the link!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 05:44   #14

This link (above) may work better, I hope. Vetus UFO Deck Vent with Transluscent Top

On the keeping water out idea. Usually for vent fans, Dorades, etc. You'll need to install some type of water trap in addition to the vent. As most vents are splash proof at best, & aren't to be trusted to keep water off of a bunk or electronics below them. And "low profile + waterproof" is an oxymoron. Or it it isn't I'd love to hear about it, including links please.

Water traps, & Dorade boxes, etc. are better when it comes to keeping Neptune out of the boat, but aren't 100%. So you have to watch where you put holes in your deck, so to speak.

For things like over bunk applications, remove the ventillator when going sailing, & insert the proper gasketed plug. Though ideally, you'll want to glass over the hole, & re-drill it somewhere less critical.

Old 25-08-2016, 07:28   #15

BTW, the latest Nicro solar vents are permanently mounted; however, they can be sealed below by pulling down on the fan grill. Supposed to keep out green water.

Ronbo

Tags
deck, exhaust