Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 05:09   #1

Deck Fill Cap Interchangeability

I'm looking to purchase a spare cap for my deck fills (points in the box, you know.) There appear to be three brands of the standard deck fills out there: Perko, SeaDog, and SeaChoice. Does anyone know if the caps are interchangeable? There is no indication of the brand on mine and they all look the same in the photos.
Kamaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 07:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Deck fill cap interchangeability

Perko will fit 99% of deck fills on boats made in the US since 1983. The key elements are ID (inside diameter) and TPI (threads per inch).

Although US standards call for 1.5", that only applies to the hose barb..the threaded part is 1.25" EXCEPT on some older boats and many European boats that have wide side decks...they may have 1.5" theaded fill too. Pre-1980 deckfills all had 16 TPI...and I know from experience that NOBODY still makes a cap to fit. You lose a cap for that one and the only answer is a new deck fill. All today's deck fills are 11 TPI.

It's fairly easy to find out what you have: get out a ruler...measure the diameter of the threaded hole on deck and count the number of threads per inch in it. There's enough difference between 11 and 16 make it pretty obvious which you have.

And btw...this information can also come in handy if/when you need a pumpout connector.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 07:33   #3

Boat: Lagoon 37
Re: Deck fill cap interchangeability

I found our's at "Scandvik Marine". They were the only one who had the one that fit our Lagoon catamaran
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote