Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2021, 16:29   #1

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Dc-Dc boost power supply for Schenker watermaker?

I’m sitting down wondering if I’d gain or lose by using a dc-dc boost (stabilizing) power supply on the watermaker feed pump.

My train of thought is that when the solar is at its peak the battery voltage is higher and our watermaker makes more and better water.

As the sun fades and the voltage drops the water is less plentiful and slightly higher salinity.

There is nothing wrong with what I’ve got right now, but if I could improve the output or quality without consuming more power I’d spring for it.

Has anyone done this? Are the losses from a Dc-Dc boost power supply offset in any way?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 16:34   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Dc-Dc boost power supply for Schenker watermaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’m sitting down wondering if I’d gain or lose by using a dc-dc boost (stabilizing) power supply on the watermaker feed pump.

My train of thought is that when the solar is at its peak the battery voltage is higher and our watermaker makes more and better water.

As the sun fades and the voltage drops the water is less plentiful and slightly higher salinity.

There is nothing wrong with what I’ve got right now, but if I could improve the output or quality without consuming more power I’d spring for it.

Has anyone done this? Are the losses from a Dc-Dc boost power supply offset in any way?
There’s no free lunch I’m afraid.

If the power to output curve of the water maker is essentially linear , then you gain nothing.

If however there happens to me a “ sweet spot “ where at a given voltage the output has a peak, ie a non linear curve , then there is advantage to ensuring the water maker always operates at that point.
Old 02-01-2021, 16:42   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Dc-Dc boost power supply for Schenker watermaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There’s no free lunch I’m afraid.

If the power to output curve of the water maker is essentially linear , then you gain nothing.

If however there happens to me a “ sweet spot “ where at a given voltage the output has a peak, ie a non linear curve , then there is advantage to ensuring the water maker always operates at that point.

I’m sure there is, but I can’t tell from my available dataset if there’s a point where it’ll offset the losses from a boost power supply.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker