Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 11:51   #16

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: CruiseRO vs Rainman

We chose Rainman for same reasons as arsen. Plus we can use the Rainman pressure washer for some jobs like blasting weed/clay/mud/crud off the anchor chain.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 13:47   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

CruiseRO

> Rich answering the phone and that the components such as the boost pump are easily obtained in relatively remote locations
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 14:47   #18

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Plus we can use the Rainman pressure washer for some jobs like blasting weed/clay/mud/crud off the anchor chain.
My $80 pressure blaster does the same but a more serious question ......is the rainman a Karcher or similar pressure blaster based build or does it have a more expensive and i would assume, more robust pump?
I can't seem to find pump details on the site I looked at.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 14:56   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It is easy to underestimate the time it takes to install a waternaker.

But if this is more than like a 6 month cruise and then maybe sell the boat or something. Rainman will probably bring much more used and easier to "remove" from boat.
Old 02-12-2018, 15:02   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
It is easy to underestimate the time it takes to install a waternaker.

But if this is more than like a 6 month cruise and then maybe sell the boat or something. Rainman will probably bring much more used and easier to "remove" from boat.
depends on the watermaker I repurposed the raw water for the old head and the old tank vent is now my brine discharge .
It took longer to route the electrical than the rest of the install including the prefilter put together. A total of 30 minutes .
Ymmv depending on the unit and where you put it.
Old 02-12-2018, 16:30   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to Rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
My $80 pressure blaster does the same but a more serious question ......is the rainman a Karcher or similar pressure blaster based build or does it have a more expensive and i would assume, more robust pump?
I can't seem to find pump details on the site I looked at.
Rainman uses a General Pump WM series high pressure pump, which is designed for watermaker use. I know there is another system being marketed recently that uses a Karcher pressure washer pump, which are not designed for seawater use.

Since this is a CruiseRO and Rainman thread, I can say that CruiseRO uses a high quality General Pump hp pump as well.

By the way, our dealers have various levels of information about the Rainman system on their own websites, but our manufacturer website is www.rainmandesal.com.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 17:19   #22

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
Rainman uses a General Pump WM series high pressure pump, which is designed for watermaker use. I know there is another system being marketed recently that uses a Karcher pressure washer pump, which are not designed for seawater use.

Since this is a CruiseRO and Rainman thread, I can say that CruiseRO uses a high quality General Pump hp pump as well.
].
All good and good to hear.
It was a previous posters reference to pressure sprayer that threw me as I did know of one out there and was hoping RM wasn't it given the cost.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 17:51   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
depends on the watermaker I repurposed the raw water for the old head and the old tank vent is now my brine discharge .

It took longer to route the electrical than the rest of the install including the prefilter put together. A total of 30 minutes .

Ymmv depending on the unit and where you put it.

I spent likely the better part of a week, a lot of that thinking where to put “stuff”. Actual work I’d guess maybe 10 to 15 hours at least.
It’s not trivial.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 18:38   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I spent likely the better part of a week, a lot of that thinking where to put “stuff”. Actual work I’d guess maybe 10 to 15 hours at least.
It’s not trivial.
I think I've spent more time with my installation of the Spectra Ventura 200T. Quite a lot of placement and hose routing issues, especially on our 35' boat. There just doesn't seem to be enough space for everything Aside from reading the manual 1/2 dozen times and drawing a flow-chart, I've spent probably 6 trips to the boat, each about 4 hours sorting through the installation, routing hoses, electrical, .... and fabricating mounting plates for the pumps and wood panels for the gauges, etc. Note, my installation is taking longer because I had to relocate our existing potable water plumbing and valves to make room for the Spectra pump and filters. I probably need one more day for the seawater intake and flush plumbing and another 1/2 day for the electrical. I guess that equates to around 5 days to install.

Back to the original post - the Rainman use and possible semi-permanent installation is probably trivial compared to my trying to wedge a square peg in a round hole!

One good point, by slogging through the installation, I am very familiar with the location of each component, their function, and water flow. I'm pretty happy with my installation so far.

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeew View Post
I have been using a rainman Watermaker in the Bahamas for a while. I was able to leave the pump portion in an aft locker and I just pull out the hoses when needed. I do carry the filter portion on deck when I use the Watermaker. There are different options for power source (12 volt vs 120/220 bs gasoline power) and different membrane units of different size, output, and weight. I have found the service to be excellent with the USA distributor. For me the big decision factor was the simplicity and off the shelf parts. No computers etc. one on/off switch and a simple valve. Although these can be installed I am using it as a portable system. When near home I don’t need it and I can simply take it home and not have to worry about freezing damage etc. carrying up and storing the two parts is some work, but a lot less work than building in a unit I think. My system is the 120 v 37gal/hour unit. Works as advertised. I’m satisfied.
Hi. When in Bahamas how long does your pre filter last?
prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:43   #26

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

So far just one month in and I have not had to change the ore filter yet.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:45   #27

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

So far, only one month of use and I have not had to change the prefilter yet. Good suggestion to take a look at it. Since I leave it in the Lazarette I need to stick my head down and see how it looks.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:47   #28

Boat: Catalina 470

A couple of photos of how mine is stored. These were taken some time ago prior to intake hose being piped to through hull. There's are large hatch above the head that I run the hoses through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181203_144304.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	181610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181203_144339.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	181611  

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 00:16   #29

Boat: Kellick 33
Send a message via AIM to Watermaker Man Send a message via MSN to Watermaker Man Send a message via Yahoo to Watermaker Man

Here is a Rainman Watermaker Installed without the blue shell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TWM install.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	181673   Click image for larger version

Name:	TWM install 2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	181674  

Watermaker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:25   #30

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermaker Man View Post
Here is a Rainman Watermaker Installed without the blue shell.
Nice install, where actually is that on the boat.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser