Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 20:52   #16

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Cruisair Circulating Pump Not Turning On

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryHorizons View Post
Hey Everyone,

I have a Cruisair STQ8C that is behaving strangely. When I turn it on, the fan comes on, air starts blowing and I hear the click I normally associate with the compressor turning on, but the water pump">raw water pump doesn't come on. This (aft) AC unit shares a water pump with another (forward) unit and when turning on the forward AC, the pump comes on. Turning on the forward unit to get the pump on doesn't help as the aft AC still just blows room temp air.

My initial thought was that a trigger had gone bad, but all triggers had proper 120v voltage. Just to be sure, I swapped the wiring around so aft AC was using the for sure working forward trigger and vice-versa. That didn't change anything.

So I took a closer look at the compressor and it doesn't "feel" like it's turning on. I checked all the connections and found no corrosion or anything, and all terminals are reading 120v. The remote display hasn't thrown off any error codes or anything that might be helpful.

AC is not my specialty and of course this would happen right before the in-laws visit in Fiji, where of course there is no Cruisair service. Does anyone have any more suggestions that I might be able to try?

Thanks!

David
I was having an identical problem on my Orana. The salon unit and the port hull unit use the same pump. The salon turned the pump and compressor on and blew cold air. The port hull unit made the standard "click ... CLICK" noise and did not turn the pump or compressor on, and blew no cold air.

I popped open the brain box and saw a burned resistor (??) on the daughter board that does the switching on and off.

Curiously, two months ago I had bought a replacement one of those for salon unit and ended up not installing it because I actually found a loose wire. Well holy crap how often do you have the exact spare that you need on board?

Installed, powered on, pump and compressor running, and within minutes the temperature in the port hull had begun dropping degrees.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 13:49   #17

Boat: Catalina 25

For me it was oxidized terminals on the high pressure switch. I cleaned them with sand paper and tightened the spade terminals, put it back together and it worked just fine.
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 05:54   #18

Boat: Stamas 44

Fairly new to posting, hope this works to add to this thread.

I have a similar situation with two AC units and one water pump. Just to spice it up, I was having the HI PS issue with the salon unit and no issue with the Aft unit. Flushed the forward system and no improvement. Turned out it was the pressure switch that was bad on that unit.

Now I have a different issue. Four days ago both units lost power. (No HI PS error codes) Reset the breakers the next morning (it happened just as I was turning in) and everything was working.

Two days ago and again as I was going to bed, the HI PS alarms went off on both units. Yesterday morning (before finding this thread) I was set to take out the water pump and plugged it into a different outlet. Water pump started working and worked all day with it plugged into the original supply source - there is a relay circuit for the pump.

Last night as I was going to bed, you guessed it, the HI PS errors on both units. This morning, the water pump seems to have given up the ghost. It does not start with either power source. I checked the power to the plug in the system (not the alternate source) and with the relay breaker on, it has power. I had not checked this yesterday.

So, is the water pump bad? There is power to the plug for the water pump whether either unit is calling for the water pump to turn on. Each unit independently will cycle through attempts to get water circulating and then shut down. I don't know whether there is some other signal to the water pump or it is all controlled through power to the plug in the system.

Appreciate any advice. My AC guy is here tomorrow, but it will be very hot tonight without AC all day.

David
Old 27-06-2021, 06:10   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If there is power to the pump and the pump isn’t turning….you have a bad pump.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 06:48   #20

Boat: Stamas 44

That would be my assumption. But I do not understand if there is power to the pump all the time (with the relay breaker on, the pump has power), how is the pump signaled to turn on?

David

Update: tapping the side of the pump has knocked some sense into it. I guess I will be getting a new pump.
Old 27-06-2021, 12:16   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCoyote View Post
That would be my assumption. But I do not understand if there is power to the pump all the time (with the relay breaker on, the pump has power), how is the pump signaled to turn on?

David

Update: tapping the side of the pump has knocked some sense into it. I guess I will be getting a new pump.

With the relay breaker on, the relay box has power. When either air conditioner turns on and sends power to the relay box from the pump terminals on the air conditioner the relay box enables the pump.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruisair