Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2020, 09:15   #1

Cruisair A/C trips breaker

Hello,

New here. I would like to post this topic because upon lots of research I have yet to come to a conlusion about this problem.

I have 4 A/C aunits, all on different breakers but on the same water pump.

One of the A/C unit is tripping the breaker when the compressor enters. It does not trip the breaker when Fan only is blowing. When the compressor enteres (Cooling or heat) the amperage draw spikes considerably and the breaker trips. I am ruling out water pump becase the water pump is the same for 4 units and only 1 is tripping the breaker. I am also ruling out a worn out breaker because the amperage is spiking considerably.

It is a 4 year old unit and in great physical shape.

From what I have gathered, it could be a bad starting capacitor or a stuck/damaged compressor ?? Would those 2 be the only problems to this issue?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
lg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 10:08   #2

Boat: Baba 35
Re: Cruisair A/C trips breaker

I would swap out the capacitor and see what happens. Probably cost less than 10 dollars to find out.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 11:49   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg54 View Post
I am ruling out water pump becase the water pump is the same for 4 units and only 1 is tripping the breaker. I am also ruling out a worn out breaker because the amperage is spiking considerably.

Not good to completely rule out water flow.

Yes, the pump may be working, but the individual raw water line from pump to AC to discharge may have an obstruction of some sort, maybe enough to reduce flow on that one line... maybe enough to cause an overheat error on that one unit.

-Chris
Old 22-01-2020, 15:02   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Not good to completely rule out water flow.

Yes, the pump may be working, but the individual raw water line from pump to AC to discharge may have an obstruction of some sort, maybe enough to reduce flow on that one line... maybe enough to cause an overheat error on that one unit.

-Chris

Blockage is a possibility. How quickly is the breaker popping? I would think it would take several minutes to draw too much amperage and in my experience, unless total blockage, restricted flow just reduces the ability to achieve optimal cooling temp.
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 15:21   #5
Marine Service Provider

Put an amp meter on the L1 line input to the board, start unit and compare the max amps you see when the breaker trips with the RLA (rotor lock amps)
If it matched or is really close to the RLA number on the compressor label, the compressor is lock rotor.
If it doesn't match the number and is much lower, disconnect the black wire from the terminal strip that goes to #5 terminal on the start relay and see if it trips again.
You can rule out the pump by turning it off and trying to start the compressor, it will take some time to build enough heat to trip the HP switch and even longer than that to trip a good breaker.
I have also seen breakers fail too, so knowing what it is actually drawing on compressor start is key.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 07:32   #6

Thanks for the replys.

The breaker is tripping immediately (less than half a second after) the compressor kicks in (Cool or Heat). If it was waterflow, I would think Id get a HI PS alarm.

The amperage draw when compressor kicks in spike up considerably I would guess it would be close to 20 per compressor RLA specs. I am seeing the compressor amp spike on the boat's amp metering.

Assuming the compressor is locked, is there anyway to "unlock" it?

If the amperage draw is near the RLA specs of the compressor, can the problem still be the start capacitor?
Old 23-01-2020, 10:40   #7

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Are you running on shore power or gen set? Did you check voltage on supply side of breaker? If OK, then you should put in new compressor start capacitor (should have one spare anyway if all four units are identical) and see if it starts. If not, probably bad compressor motor, then B.O.A.T.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 10:50   #8

Boat: Catalina 320

I had same problem with my A/C Heating unit. My compressor was faulty and I replaced the entire unit with MarinAir. Very pleased with the new unit.
I thought first of a weak breaker, but not the case. The high amp load on startup confermed the compressor. I have heard high or low freon can cause the same symptoms.
Good luck!
River Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 11:09   #9

Boat: Carver 560 Voyager

I had the same problem and it was determined that the compressor was starting on a bad rotor position. The Tech installed a "soft start" device and it solved the issue for several years until the compressor finally completely failed. It was not expensive.
Txcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 12:00   #10

Boat: Island Packet 380

From the symptoms you describe, the problem is the compressor, and certainly not the waterflow. the compressor might be eitther mechanically stuck or has a short. Both problems would cause a very large current draw and the breaker will trip. To test for the short: there are 3 wires to the compressor (C, R, and G). Measure the resistance between each of the three pairs, that is, C-R, C-G, and R-G. You should get readings like 12 ohms, 7 ohms, and 5 ohms, where one reading is the sum of the other two (12 = 7 + 5). If any reading is 0, there is a short, and if any reading is huge, there is an open circuit (unlikely, because an open-circuit would not trip the breaker). If a short or an open circuit, there is no fix and the compressor must be replaced.

If the resistance readings are OK, then the rotor in the compressor is mechanically stuck. Try hitting it hard with a hammer (low probability, but might jar it loose). Or, try the software reset from an earlier post.

Unfortunately, compressors are VERY difficult to replace and you might need a new unit.
huhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 12:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Are you running on shore power or gen set? Did you check voltage on supply side of breaker? If OK, then you should put in new compressor start capacitor (should have one spare anyway if all four units are identical) and see if it starts. If not, probably bad compressor motor, then B.O.A.T.
I have tried it on both the gen and shore power. I will try with new cap.
Old 23-01-2020, 13:35   #12

I would change the breaker, maybe for one slightly with higher amps.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 15:57   #13

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Thanks for the replys.

The breaker is tripping immediately (less than half a second after) the compressor kicks in (Cool or Heat). If it was waterflow, I would think Id get a HI PS alarm.

The amperage draw when compressor kicks in spike up considerably I would guess it would be close to 20 per compressor RLA specs. I am seeing the compressor amp spike on the boat's amp metering.

If the amperage draw is near the RLA specs of the compressor, can the problem still be the start capacitor?
The breaker tripping immediately indicates a dead short in the electrical system - check your wiring. I'm surprised that you could get an amp reading with the unit tripping out so fast.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 16:15   #14
Marine Service Provider

There is no way to unlock the rotor, you could try a hard start kit, to eliminate the relay and capacitor to prove it out.
Google it.
Also, if you are going to meter the windings, do so by removing the 3 wires that are on the compressor itself, there are 3 pins that pass thru the compressor case that you will need to directly put your meter on they are usually marked on the cover...C, S, and R
Common, Start and Run, measure between C-S, C-R, and S-R.
If you list the exact compressor model # from the label, (it will most likely be something like AKA2515AXA).... we can tell you what the ohm readings should be.
Google it and you will see.
Make sure all of the terminals are tight and clean, loose/salty/burnt connects can also cause high amps.
Most of the compressors Cruisair used on the older FX systems are OEM with unique piping layouts to match the needs of the seawater cooling and layout of the condensing unit itself, and thus are much more pricey.
Some of the smaller ones are even no longer available.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 08:52   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Thanks for the replys.

Being as dumb as a rock on HVAC I might think a reverse cycle solenoid could be hung up between AC and heat. A rap on it with a wrench might free it?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruisair