Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 12:27   #1

Converting 2 wet heads into one Dry Head

Hey folks,
So I have this weird thing where I LOVE Lagoon Cats but I hate their wet heads. I hate any wet head - I had a few boats with them and... OK hate is a strong word, but I really would rather have a dedicated shower space and a dedicated toilet space, even if that means going from 2 small wet heads to one larger dry head.

So essentially converting this layout: Click image for larger version

Name:	lagoon-440-owners-version-layout.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	175199

To this layout: Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 3.21.15 PM.jpg Views: 336 Size: 262.2 KB ID: 175200" style="margin: 2px" />

I hope that displays properly!!

I know that given enough time and money, anything is possible so I'm not asking if this is possible. I'd really like to know if it's practical. Bonus points if you've actually done something like this before yourself.

Thanks for any advice!
timinfla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:45   #2

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Re: Converting 2 wet heads into one Dry Head

Your before pic looks like an L440 owner's version, correct?

Obviously it can be done, but these heads are on the guest side. Guests generally like to have a little privacy from their neighbor, and I don't think you can get two heads with a separate shower in the confines of an L440 head space. In order to do it, you would basically have to go from two heads to converting one head into the toilet, and the other into the shower. Not very practical for your guests.

They fixed this in the L450. I guess you'll have to just buy a new one.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 13:04   #3

Haha, yea the 450 has it licked for sure... May go that route anyway. To be clear, I'm just looking at the head layout, I don't want to change anything else - I simply want to take the 2 wet heads in the one hull and combine the two to make one dry head.
Old 10-08-2018, 13:29   #4

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinfla2 View Post
Haha, yea the 450 has it licked for sure... May go that route anyway. To be clear, I'm just looking at the head layout, I don't want to change anything else - I simply want to take the 2 wet heads in the one hull and combine the two to make one dry head.
Right, but I was looking at the door configuration etc. It would be impractical to move the toilet in the aft head to the rear of the boat, putting it in front of the door and sink. Same with the forward head. Additionally, the holding tanks are in the outboard wall next to the head.

This is the only solution I can see, and it's not a good one. Remove the holding tank for the aft head, then rotate the head 90 degrees into the space previously occupied by the tank. Plumb the aft head to the forward tank. Remove the forward toilet and vanity. Remove the center wall and install a shower door in it's place.

There you have it. Head aft, shower forward. And very impractical.

I guess you could gut the whole thing, and eliminate the private doors to each cabin, and force everyone to use the hallway door that currently goes to the fwd head. Then you could build a nice head and shower. But then how many of your guests want to get dressed and stand in the hall to wait their turn to take a leak in the morning? Or get a 450 instead.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:14   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Right, but I was looking at the door configuration etc. It would be impractical to move the toilet in the aft head to the rear of the boat, putting it in front of the door and sink. Same with the forward head. Additionally, the holding tanks are in the outboard wall next to the head.

This is the only solution I can see, and it's not a good one. Remove the holding tank for the aft head, then rotate the head 90 degrees into the space previously occupied by the tank. Plumb the aft head to the forward tank. Remove the forward toilet and vanity. Remove the center wall and install a shower door in it's place.

There you have it. Head aft, shower forward. And very impractical.

I guess you could gut the whole thing, and eliminate the private doors to each cabin, and force everyone to use the hallway door that currently goes to the fwd head. Then you could build a nice head and shower. But then how many of your guests want to get dressed and stand in the hall to wait their turn to take a leak in the morning? Or get a 450 instead.

Your solution is great.

How many guests are you talking about and are they family and/or friends or paying guests? If the former then you’re a boat and not a 5 star hotel - sharing the toilet is just what you do if you want to spend time on a great boat owned by your family/friend. If the latter, tell them they’re welcome to stay in a hotel ashore if a shared bathroom is stink. Sheesh, is there no one alive anymore that shared a bathroom growing up - it’s not the end of the world.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:50   #6

Actually Tornadosailing, you pretty much read my mind. In my house that I currently live in, only the master bedroom has its own bathroom - All the kids have to leave their bedroom and trudge through the hallway to get to theirs. The horror! Haha.

Heck, when I think of it, most houses that my friends and I grew up in didn’t even have bathrooms connected to the master bedroom. That’s a fairly novel creation I think.

Either way, I love your idea, and I think I would go that route - seal the ensuite doors, and make one nice large dry head out of 2 smaller inconvenient wet heads that happen to be ensuite.

I’ve seen some people convert a ‘charter hull’ to an ‘owners version’ but I’ve not seen anybody do strictly a head conversion of this nature. I’m hoping one of you has and can speak up and tell me if I’m barking up the right tree.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinfla2 View Post
Actually Tornadosailing, you pretty much read my mind. In my house that I currently live in, only the master bedroom has its own bathroom - All the kids have to leave their bedroom and trudge through the hallway to get to theirs. The horror! Haha.

Heck, when I think of it, most houses that my friends and I grew up in didn’t even have bathrooms connected to the master bedroom. That’s a fairly novel creation I think.

Either way, I love your idea, and I think I would go that route - seal the ensuite doors, and make one nice large dry head out of 2 smaller inconvenient wet heads that happen to be ensuite.

I’ve seen some people convert a ‘charter hull’ to an ‘owners version’ but I’ve not seen anybody do strictly a head conversion of this nature. I’m hoping one of you has and can speak up and tell me if I’m barking up the right tree.
I recently crewed on a 450 , 4 head version
where “my head” was converted” to a full up
laundry room. Aft, Port side. The owners were in
Forward Port side and wanted to keep their head private so I was asked to to use one of the
starboard heads. NO BIG DEAL
I try to spend as little time in there as humanly possible. I personally don’t see why any boat
designed for sailing with a crew of 6 -8 needs
more than 2 heads anyhow. Cruising is tight quarters
no matter how big the boat. Just Requires crew to
simply clean up after themselves.
Now let’s talk about not putting anything that didn’t
come directly out of your body down the head
That should shake up the folks that can’t live without
an “ en suite” bathroom
That said,
The most useful but often left out space on most of the boats i’ve sailed on is a true wet locker.
If you do your conversion put a rod in to hold
wet foulies and you got a winner
Cheers
Neil
PS: Grew up in a house where 3 brothers and a sister
shared one bathroom, we made it work
No Big Deal
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 19:41   #8

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I'm still not entirely clear what you are trying to accomplish. You are the owner, yes? You use the large stateroom with ensuite head and shower stall, yes? Your guests (or children) use the other staterooms and heads, yes? So, you are concerned about whether your guests can get by without a dedicated shower stall? And you think your guests would be pleased to trade their own private heads with wet showers, for a communal head with a shower stall? Do I have this right? Where will you do most of your sailing? If in tropical and subtropical areas, how often do you think your guests would use a shower on the deck or at the transom? If I were a guest aboard, my priority would likely be for a private head for my wife and I if we got to choose. And I would likely use an on deck shower, perhaps after swimming.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 20:24   #9

Boat: Fountain Pajot, Helia 44 Evolution

Timinfla2; I am 100% with you. Want to do the same type of conversation when my boat comes out of charter so I would be very keen as well to see if anyone has done this. When I talk visitors, I am talking my family and their kids or my mates .... I think a bigger, separate shower with room to move and a toilet that's not cramped into a corner is worth while waiting for and sharing ... It's not like there is a rush hour ...
Old 12-08-2018, 04:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
I'm still not entirely clear what you are trying to accomplish. You are the owner, yes? You use the large stateroom with ensuite head and shower stall, yes? Your guests (or children) use the other staterooms and heads, yes? So, you are concerned about whether your guests can get by without a dedicated shower stall? And you think your guests would be pleased to trade their own private heads with wet showers, for a communal head with a shower stall? Do I have this right? Where will you do most of your sailing? If in tropical and subtropical areas, how often do you think your guests would use a shower on the deck or at the transom? If I were a guest aboard, my priority would likely be for a private head for my wife and I if we got to choose. And I would likely use an on deck shower, perhaps after swimming.
Your assumptions are all correct, except for I am only the hypothetical owner seeing as I don’t yet own the boat. Additionally, while I bear the utmost consideration as to the comfort of my guests and children, the biggest driver of my desire for the conversion is that it’s my boat and I want it set up the way I want it :-). It’s all personal preference I guess.

If you were a guest aboard, I agree that it would be sensible for you to want a private head - and to be sure, I’m not advocating that your hull-mate be reading the Times on the commode as you shower up, haha.

But given the choice between a soggy, cramped private wet head and a shared, comfortable dry head, I think I’d choose the latter. Again, personal preference here but I’ve had a wet head and speaking from experience, it isn’t ideal for my situation.

It’s sort of like I don’t really see the value in a forepeak berth and I’d instead rather use that space for lightweight storage. There are people out there that swear by the forepeak berths. Not I. It’s all about allocation of a finite amount of space we have on these vessels and mine will certainly look different than yours.

Instead of justifying exactly why I am pursuing a specific plan, which was not the intent of my thread, I’m hoping folks would perhaps figure that I have soberly considered the facts, and after having done so arrived at this, my intended course, and that if any of them have pursued something similar, they’d please talk about their experience.

Thanks folks!
Old 12-08-2018, 04:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils Gruttner View Post
Timinfla2; I am 100% with you. Want to do the same type of conversation when my boat comes out of charter so I would be very keen as well to see if anyone has done this. When I talk visitors, I am talking my family and their kids or my mates .... I think a bigger, separate shower with room to move and a toilet that's not cramped into a corner is worth while waiting for and sharing ... It's not like there is a rush hour ...
Amen, and amen.

There was. A couple on YouTube that bought a charter version Lagoon and converted it into an owners version. Jessica and Ryan Adventures is their YouTube channel I believe. Good couple of kids and the dude is a smart, and hard worker.

His conversion is a bit different than what I am looking to do as I believe he eliminated the fwd berth and put in a shower just like an owners version but it’s been a while. Maybe I’ll go check into that channel again.

Anyway, we’ll see who chimes in - hopefully folks who have done this before and can advise for or against it instead of folks trying to talk us out of it before the onset, haha.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:44   #12

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

Leave it as 2 separate rooms just remove the head from 1 and turn that into the shower room.
You can rig the shower in the other head to use as a “bidet”
No more smelly TP bin.

regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:52   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel sails View Post
Leave it as 2 separate rooms just remove the head from 1 and turn that into the shower room.
No more smelly TP bin.

regards
Paul
^^^^This sounds like a real good idea^^^^
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel sails View Post
No more smelly TP bin.

regards
Paul
That’s very creative. I like it.
Old 14-03-2021, 16:24   #15

Boat: Voyage Norseman 43'

I know this thread is really old, but I was wondering if anyone has done this or is planning on doing this?
I have a 43' Voyage Norseman 430 Owners version. The door on the heads open inside the head and they are so small you can't even open the door all the way. We plan on cutting the wall out between the two, as well as cutting just about everything else out. We want a separate shower area. We also plan on walling up the forward stairway on both sides. Hopefully it's possible. We want to put a bigger fridge in the galley on the port side and put a washer in on the starboard side.
carlabunga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head