Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2021, 09:00   #31

Boat: Island Packet 420
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

I am in Europe, so need to get a European brand. I have a recommendation from Peggy that I am trying to get priced out. I currently have Vacuflush which are fresh water flush, so the plumbing is already there. I prefer fresh water over seawater, having had both. Much less stink in the hoses with a fresh water system.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 09:27   #32

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

I have written an extensive story about Jabsco's Electic Lite Flush, as well as my first-hand experience with Jabsco’s technical rep for the US. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you a link.
AlanJacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 10:58   #33

Boat: 1976 Islander 36 - Geja

Is anyone familiar with this toilet brand? I'm in the US, but the boat is in Europe. Crazy thing is that after 12 straight summers of cruising in the Med, I have not needed to service this toilet at all. All manual sea water flush. I do pump a lot of water with each flush. And a generous dousing of vinegar at the end of each summer.

I have thought of going electric to simplify things for crew.

Cheers,
Andrew
www.SailGeja.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2638.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	231215  
andrewvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 12:29   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Hi All,

Looking for some opinions. I have 2 - 20 year old vacuflush heads on my boat and looking at the cost of getting some replacement parts, am thinking maybe I should just upgrade altogether and go with electric macerating heads. I am currently holed up in Spai....
WHY would you not keep the vacuflushes?
Ironically, we're thinking about switching from macerators to them.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 12:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanJacobson View Post
I have written an extensive story about Jabsco's Electic Lite Flush, as well as my first-hand experience with Jabsco’s technical rep for the US. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you a link.
would appreciate the read
wmdomb@verizon.net
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 14:16   #36

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdomb View Post
WHY would you not keep the vacuflushes?
Ironically, we're thinking about switching from macerators to them.
It'd be interesting to read some pros & cons of each type of system from Peg Hall if she's so inclined. Thus far I gather that the VF may consume more freshwater than a macerator, and is possibly more complex/expensive since the VF requires two pumps (vacuum & discharge) along with a vacuum and holding tank. I've owned two VF's for 10 years and have no complaints. Maintenance has involved bowl seal replacements (1x) and joker(?) valves (every 2-3 yrs). They were expensive to have installed. Never owned a macerator type.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 18:16   #37

Boat: J/46

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
If you're willing to settle for a sea water version, the Raritan SeaEra Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet is your best choice, not just for quality, but because the pump motor assembly can be aimed to either side or to the back.

--Peggie

We have a Raritan PEII and this could be a logical conversion for use. My main concern is that we have a very small holding tank (~10gal) and no easy way to make it larger. We already don't put paper products of any kind to reduce the amount of water needed. We'd do this in an instant if it would lessen the amount of water needed but I can find no solid specs on what they require.

Anyone have any practical knowledge on these?
davidjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 19:58   #38

Peggy,
Please send me your article on toilets. Vacuflush 101. sandoval2@cox.net
Thank you!
robochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 00:28   #39

Boat: Oyster 66

If I change my Jabsco I will get a Planus or maybe a Tecma. Fresh water only. Standard issue on super yachts, with an excellent reputation for reliability, very low water use, very quiet and only a little more expensive than the agricultural standard marine electric toilet.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 11:46   #40

Hi, have a Lavac(by Blakes UK) vacume head. Instructions are for 9 pump strokes, pause for 5sec then another 6 strokes. What is the pause for?
vic008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 12:19   #41

We upgraded from a Jabsco Electric Flush to the Raritan SeaEra. I would have gone with the Raritan Marine Elegance, but it wouldn't fit the space we had.

We love it. The pressure water flush with freshwater is amazingly quiet compared to the old electric raw water flush. We bought the dual model, but have yet to install the raw water flush option.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 03:45   #42

I have used several on charter boats.
The electric ones are great, easy to use and well liked by the crew.

However if you only have one heads a word of caution:
I had one that became jammed and we were unable to fix it.
Back at the base, it turned out to be one stone from an olive, jammed into it.

regards
John
CorinthianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 15:19   #43

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' (2 of them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
If the holding tank is gravity emptying (so for us, our two heads pump up to the holding tanks), then the tank just gravity empties if dumping at sea, or at a dock-side pumping station, the deck fitting terminates in a rigid tube at the bottom of the tank (usually there is a small sump era in the bottom) and therefore the dockside pump just vacuums out the contents in a very few seconds.

Keeping it simple makes a lot of sense (and usually saves money too).
@David, what kind of heads do you have? We're looking into an electric toilet and will do the gravity feed holding tank setup; in looking it seems that some toilets (Tecma so far) don't want you trying to pump uphill. (We don't have pressure water, so a fresh water flush is not an option for us.)

Thanks for any advice!
BCCLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 19:25   #44
Marine Service Provider

...in looking it seems that some toilets (Tecma so far) don't want you trying to pump uphill...

That has nothing to do with the toilet, all of 'em can lift bowl contents at least 4'. And neither does the source of the flush water. That any of 'em don't want you to pump uphill has to do with the laws of physics: If the toilet can't lift bowl contents high enough to put it into the tank, it's gonna run back downhill to the toilet. Some simple mods to the discharge plumbing can solve that problem.

The toilet only gets the bowl contents TO the tank...it has nothing to do with how the tank is emptied. If you'd like some help sorting out how to have trouble free toilet tank plumbing with any toilet and tank, you're welcome to send me a PM so we can pick a mutually convenient day/time to discuss how it needs to work on YOUR boat.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:31   #45

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' (2 of them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
...in looking it seems that some toilets (Tecma so far) don't want you trying to pump uphill...

That has nothing to do with the toilet, all of 'em can lift bowl contents at least 4'. And neither does the source of the flush water. That any of 'em don't want you to pump uphill has to do with the laws of physics: If the toilet can't lift bowl contents high enough to put it into the tank, it's gonna run back downhill to the toilet. Some simple mods to the discharge plumbing can solve that problem.

The toilet only gets the bowl contents TO the tank...it has nothing to do with how the tank is emptied. If you'd like some help sorting out how to have trouble free toilet tank plumbing with any toilet and tank, you're welcome to send me a PM so we can pick a mutually convenient day/time to discuss how it needs to work on YOUR boat.

--Peggie
Peggie, your generosity in sharing your extensive knowledge is very much appreciated. Thank you!!!
BCCLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, oil