Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2021, 20:10   #16
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,683
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

I just spent a week on a boat with seawater based macerating toilet with treatment tank or some such (the type that can be legally discharged) No issues with any smells or whatnot. Consequently began wandering about converting my boat back to such a system (one of POs went back to manual flush Raritan at some point). Can someone point out the cons as compared to freshwater models? Thanks.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 20:40   #17
Marine Service Provider
 
peghall's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,424
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

I think we've managed to confuse apples with kumquats and I'm SO sorry for the confusion! The article I've offered to send to anyone who wants it is just a short article that pertains only to ONE specific toilet--the Dometic (formerly SeaLand) VacuFlush system. If that's not your toilet or a toilet you're considering buying, you'd have no use for it at all.

"The New Get Rid of Boat Odors" Is the 2nd edition (hence the word "new" in the title) of my book, which you can buy from a number of sources...I include a link to it on Amazon in my signature...just click on the title--which btw was my publisher's idea and is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! So although it's not a give-away I really do think you'll find it useful enough to justify its very reasonable price.

And btw...that's very high praise for it, Ann...Thank you!

--Peggie
__________________
2021 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors"
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 21:39   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, sailing in the Med.
Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50
Posts: 965
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Hi All,

Looking for some opinions. I have 2 - 20 year old vacuflush heads on my boat and looking at the cost of getting some replacement parts, am thinking maybe I should just upgrade altogether and go with electric macerating heads. I am currently holed up in Spain, and am unfamiliar with the brands of electric heads available here. So, if anyone has any advice regarding the Jabsco or Force 4 or Sanimarine heads, I would appreciate any input. Or the pros or cons of the electric heads vs the vacuflush would be appreciated. Vacuflush parts get quite expensive here.
Everything that Peggie said (coz she knows stuff ), but from our perspective, we would never contemplate other than electric (yes, we have experienced many other types over the decades ....).

An electric flushing toilet is as close as you get to home. Ensure whatever version you decide on, that the macerator is in the base, not down a hose - or worse, after the holding tank .....
It is sensible, and hopefully obvious, that the solids should be macerated before transport along any route.

Our heads are not top of the list by any means, being Jabsco 'Quietflush' (obviously there is - or was, a frustrated comedian working at the factory when they named them!), but they are simple, will chew through any amount of toilet paper you like to put down there, (as long as you wet it first with a pre-flush), and are reliable. Every few years you just need to replace the shaft seal, and 'O' ring.

Anyway, go with Peggy's recommendation if you can justify the cost, but just know you wont regret going with electric flush.
__________________
Thankful for the wonders of this world - and the waters that cover much of it.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 21:42   #19
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,816
Images: 124
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I think we've managed to confuse apples with kumquats and I'm SO sorry for the confusion! The article I've offered to send to anyone who wants it is just a short article that pertains only to ONE specific toilet--the Dometic (formerly SeaLand) VacuFlush system. If that's not your toilet or a toilet you're considering buying, you'd have no use for it at all.

"The New Get Rid of Boat Odors" Is the 2nd edition (hence the word "new" in the title) of my book, which you can buy from a number of sources...I include a link to it on Amazon in my signature...just click on the title--which btw was my publisher's idea and is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! So although it's not a give-away I really do think you'll find it useful enough to justify its very reasonable price.

And btw...that's very high praise for it, Ann...Thank you!

--Peggie
Already have your new book Peggy, and the old one, good reading.
I am also considering an electric head, the Raritan Elegance has been recommended: Macerator in the base..? (Do you also need a second macerator/pump to empty the holding tank?)
Still in the planning stages, will redo the entire plumbing, new holding tank, etc. Big job, will probably hire an expert to do the deed: Do you know anybody in Fort Lauderdale that specialize in plumbing and head work only?
Thx.
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 21:57   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, sailing in the Med.
Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50
Posts: 965
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Already have your new book Peggy, and the old one, good reading.
I am also considering an electric head, the Raritan Elegance has been recommended: Macerator in the base..? (Do you also need a second macerator/pump to empty the holding tank?)
Still in the planning stages, will redo the entire plumbing, new holding tank, etc. Big job, will probably hire an expert to do the deed: Do you know anybody in Fort Lauderdale that specialize in plumbing and head work only?
Thx.
If the holding tank is gravity emptying (so for us, our two heads pump up to the holding tanks), then the tank just gravity empties if dumping at sea, or at a dock-side pumping station, the deck fitting terminates in a rigid tube at the bottom of the tank (usually there is a small sump era in the bottom) and therefore the dockside pump just vacuums out the contents in a very few seconds.

Keeping it simple makes a lot of sense (and usually saves money too).
__________________
Thankful for the wonders of this world - and the waters that cover much of it.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:16   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Appleton, WI
Boat: Hunter 34
Posts: 42
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Of the toilets available to you in Europe, the Sanimarin would be your best choice.

--Peggie

Hi;
Are you able to recommend one for the USA? I currently have a Jabsco manual pump in a confined space.
Thanks. Ilan
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 11:20   #22
Marine Service Provider
 
peghall's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,424
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

Both Jabsco and Raritan have macerating electric toilets...Raritan--everything they've ever made--is the highest quality, always top rated by Practical Sailor. Plus they're the only mfr who still makes everything in the US....every Jabsco product sold in the US is now made in Mexico with materials and components sourced from China and other Asian sources.

If you're willing to settle for a sea water version, the Raritan SeaEra Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet is your best choice, not just for quality, but because the pump motor assembly can be aimed to either side or to the back. Practical Sailor rated it "best budget buy." You can save a bit money by going with the "conversion" (everything but the bowl, seat and lid)...your Jabsco bowl WILL fit it. Raritan SeaEra Conversion Promo Sheet This retailer has it for the best price I've found Boatersland - Raritan Sea Era Conversion Kit (They're in OH, so shipping to WI shouldn't be too bad, especially without the bowl...bowls are HEAVY!). A fresh water version is also available, but I can no longer find anyone who sells the "conversion" for it. Boatersland has the complete toilet for the best price I can find.

The Raritan Marine Elegance is an all china "throne" that's the TOP rated macerating electric toilet (PS rated it "best in show" in a macerating electric toilet "shootout" a few years ago) Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf It's designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water and everyone who owns one LOVES it. Price is about double that of the SeaEra and worth every penny...IF you have space for it and your budget can stand it. Dimensions are included in the promo sheet. The same retailer also has the Elegance for the best price Boatersland Marine Elegance


--Peggie
__________________
2021 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors"
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 15:11   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Appleton, WI
Boat: Hunter 34
Posts: 42
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

You are always so helpful and knowledgeable! Thank you so much (and love the book!)
Ilan
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 20:04   #24
Marine Service Provider
 
peghall's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,424
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

Thanks for the kind words! When you've chosen a toilet, give me another shout before you buy it. Raritan offers a choice of 3 flush options for both...we should discuss which one is the best choice for you and the people who'll be using it.


--Peggie
__________________
2021 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors"
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:45   #25
Marine Service Provider
 
peghall's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,424
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

The Raritan Marine Elegance is the TOP rated macerating electric toilet. All its "works" including the macerator are in its pedestal.Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf You'll find it useful to spend a little time with the "Installation, Operation and Maintenance Instructions" (aka "owners manual") Raritan Marine Elegance Owners Manual


Yes, you'd need a separate macerator PUMP to dump the tank.


The only professional help you should need is a certified marine electrician to install the wiring...the rest is just "grunt" work using the right materials (hoses etc) for each job. I'll be glad to help you select those and learn how install them--or at least supervise some much less expense labor to do correctly. Start with the section "Choosing and Installing a New System" beginning on page 13 in the "new" version of my book. And I'll be glad to help you get the details right and who has the best prices for all of it.



--Peggie
__________________
2021 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors"
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 15:39   #26
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,816
Images: 124
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
The Raritan Marine Elegance is the TOP rated macerating electric toilet. All its "works" including the macerator are in its pedestal.Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf You'll find it useful to spend a little time with the "Installation, Operation and Maintenance Instructions" (aka "owners manual") Raritan Marine Elegance Owners Manual


Yes, you'd need a separate macerator PUMP to dump the tank.




The only professional help you should need is a certified marine electrician to install the wiring...the rest is just "grunt" work using the right materials (hoses etc) for each job. I'll be glad to help you select those and learn how install them--or at least supervise some much less expense labor to do correctly. Start with the section "Choosing and Installing a New System" beginning on page 13 in the "new" version of my book. And I'll be glad to help you get the details right and who has the best prices for all of it.



--Peggie
Thanks, but I am trying to stay away from grunt work these days, will hire a specialist to do a good installation while I sit in the shade drinking beer, my grunt days are behind me.
(Found a guy recommended by Raritan)
Will also brush up on page 13 of the new version in your book.
Thx again.
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 16:57   #27
Registered User
 
sv_pelagia's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: British Columbia
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 459
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Thanks, but I am trying to stay away from grunt work these days... while I sit ... my grunt days are behind me.
.
pun intended, I hope...
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 17:07   #28
Registered User
 
capn_billl's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Posts: 1,976
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

I used to have Vacuflush. Great when they work, but high maintenence, and cost when they don't.

Now I have jabsco quietflush.

Only quiet with new pump, gets noisy after awhile.

SO far only maintenence is O ring on pump, and the joker valve.

My waste tank is above the shower, so a long uphill haul from the toilet.

Any joker valve problem, and it comes back to the toilet until it overflows.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 20:21   #29
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Credit, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 4,596
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
last week we generated 35 gallons of black water for two full timers (pumped out into a cart this morning). .
We too are full time and pump out 20 gallons every thursday but with a manual toilet.
__________________
it's not that I'm set in my ways but it's taken me 69 years to get it right and I'm not changin' now !
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 09:20   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Puerta Vallarta, Mexico
Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'
Posts: 136
Re: Considering upgrading to electric macerating toilet

I recommend Dometic. I installed one in my home years ago in a location that has to flush "up". Works well. Why flush with fresh water? I've used seawater and an Electro Scan processor for 20 yrs on my boat. Do not get a Jabasco "growler". Spend a bit more for a better unit.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, oil

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considering upgrading to a Victron Multiplus 2000 Compact autumnbreeze27 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 14 09-12-2016 16:41
Upgrading My Electric Propulsion System GrowleyMonster Engines and Propulsion Systems 38 03-11-2015 12:59
Considering Electric Yacht conversion....Lithium Question (simple one) Anonymous7500 Engines and Propulsion Systems 7 01-01-2013 09:50
Considering Electric Outboard - Advice ? Ericsn25Chespk Engines and Propulsion Systems 20 19-02-2011 09:05
Electric Toilet Stopped? The Magic Fix... lorenzo b Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 2 22-02-2010 18:12

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:12.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.