Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 13:23   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411 "Dragonfly"
Condensation Outside / Underside of Fridge

On our Beneteau 411 the compressor unit was replaced and moved to under the stove but it appears that when they did this upgrade they left the original unit under the ice box. and now we are getting watter condensing on the underside of the fridge in this cavity. there does not appear to be any simple way to dissemble the box or cabinetry to get access.

Any one have any thoughts? the only thing that I can think of is to use spray insulation into the cavity and see if that helps. but it will be one hell of a mess if it does not work.

thank for you help
Old 01-07-2009, 15:13   #2

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Do you mean the stuff you buy in a spray can for filling cracks/spaces around a house?
How big is the cavity underneath the box? Is it 2 cubic feet, 4 cubic feet?
The problem you will have is you will have to "overfill" the cavity to ensure that there will not be any spaces, voids or passage ways that air can get through the foam. This would be next to impossible to do if the space is big enough for a compressor using household spray cans.
Passageways will allow air through and you will still have condensation. If anything it could get worse.
It would be best if you could cut out a section of cabinetry on the front. Then have an access panel made up that fits the rest of the cabinetry.
If you open it up to fit in insulation do not forget a vapour retarding barrier.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 15:16   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411 "Dragonfly"
Unfortunately I believe I will have to remove the counter top and then the ice box to get access to the old compressor. Probably why the installed the new one under the stove.

If I move the stove I maybe able to use the space to cut a small access point. Then at least I will be able to see what is going on...
Old 03-07-2009, 16:51   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
It might be wise to correspond with Ward Richardson at Beneteau USA (01-843-629-5300) regarding the construction of the yacht before undertaking any major surgery. If you're finding condensate on the underside of the refer, it indicates that insulation on the bottom of the box is much too thin. The easiest fix would simply add an inch of high efficiency insulation such as aerogel to the inside bottom of the box.

FWIW....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 19:05   #5

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Your mentioning removing the stove jogged my brain. Years ago I helped a friend of mine on a Beneteau 50 (or something). That was where the access panel was. It was hidden!
It was also why his original compressor died, poor air flow.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 20:12   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
If you decide to make an access panel, buy a Fein Multimaster to do that with.

I agree that the insulation is either too thin or rotten away. Also, check for any drains under the box. Better get rid of those.

Many of us have been there and it's not so nice to start these box/insulation jobs but they are about the most important to do right and make a big difference all the way up to battery bank sizing, solar panels and wind generators.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:32   #7

Boat: beneteau 423
Did anybody find out how to access the fridge box on the Beneteau? I want to improve the fridge insulation on my 423, but there is no evidence of any fixings on any of the cabinetry or worktop. The compressor on the 423 is mounted remotely in a cupboard, so I can imagine the fridge cabinet is going to be a 'sealed for life' assembly.
bryan and wendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation, refrigerator