Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2018, 21:23   #61

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Composting toilets or wet sewage systems

In the spirit of Richard Pryor you could also give the ladies a coke bottle and funnel as you do not want any splash back on your composter!
Peeing in a bottle is hilarious and I think I would be sailing by myself if I introduced ideas like that to my friends and family!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 00:46   #62

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

C head shows a product they use under their video. Go to YouTube and type in C-head and BoonJon overview Part 1. The product is actually viewed in part 2. To get rid of flies they use a product called "Hot Shot No Pest Strip". It just gets wedged between the urine bottle and the side of the inner plastic. Check it out.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 01:55   #63

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

On my next boat, with 2 on board, I plan on using a composting toilet. I have had 2 boats with conventional marine heads. Hated them. Both got all hoses replaced, and last with new holding tanks and vents. Added a electrosan too but never used it. Still plan on a composting head. The thought of no smell, no pump outs, no jams, no through hulls etc is very appealing to me. I have zero issues with dumping urine in the ocean. Not for everyone. Not trying to convince anyone. Can always go back. Far as zealots, I hear more talk about them being kitty litter boxes from the people that think they are bad then vice versa. And yes, mine will have a vent with fan.
Old 18-02-2018, 03:07   #64

We used a natures head for 7-8yrs before we sold the boat.

It was worlds better than a wet sewage system. No perfect but night and day better.

Keep in mind a certain poster on this thread makes money trouble shooting stinky wet sewage systems (and they all smell...or at least I've never met one that didn't). So the spread of misinformation works for that posters agenda. The last thing she would like to see is wide scale change to a simpler less smelly system.

As far as venting, if conditions are right, you can get away without it but we found it was pretty simple to pull the pumpout fitting and replace with a solar vent. Most will recommend venting the cabin anyway so it does double duty.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 04:16   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sail2nite.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 04:52   #66

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcshane View Post
Finally someone after 4 pages mentioned fruit flies. If anyone has had any experience with these gnatty little fleas, land or sea, you know they are tough to get rid of.
But the fruit flies...I just leave the AirHead empty for now. Maybe the new models have sturdier fixtures and hold downs.
They aren't actually 'fruit flies, but doesn't matter. Put a little diatomaceous earth in the bin. Takes a few days, but they will disappear. To start, spread a little bit on the counter top/shelf as well. Make sure it is 'food grade'. It really does work.

Pulled from the web-
Diatomaceous earth kills all bugs. It has been reported to be the most effective solution when fighting pests like fleas, ants and bed bugs. Farmers dump food grade diatomaceous earth by big scoops in with grains when the grains are stored. It kills the insects that want to feast on the grain.
Old 18-02-2018, 07:12   #67
Marine Service Provider

Keep in mind a certain poster on this thread makes money trouble shooting stinky wet sewage systems (and they all smell...or at least I've never met one that didn't). So the spread of misinformation works for that posters agenda. The last thing she would like to see is wide scale change to a simpler less smelly system.

Nothing could be further from truth. Except for the occasional owner of a large (50' +) yacht who hires me to trouble-shoot or redesign a multiple toilet system--none of whom has ever even expressed the slightest interest in composting--I've never charged anyone a single penny to trouble-shoot "a stinky wet sewage system." Book royalties (a whopping $2/copy) and speaking fees have been my only income from boat owners since I sold my company in 1999. And if you'd ever read my book, you'd know that it IS possible to have an odor-free, trouble-free "wet" sewage system.

So please tell us exactly what my agenda is, and what I gain from it other than the satisfaction of helping boat owners solve problems.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 07:29   #68

Boat: Gemini 3000 (30')

Additional background in favor of Composting heads:
From my research, the concentration of nitrogen in the water discharge from treatment plants is typically around 12 mg/L. Unfortunately this level of nutrients is high enough to stimulate a destructive biological process called eutrophication, which happens with warm water temperatures, high nutrient levels, lots of sunshine and calm waters. This destructive biological process robs oxygen from the water killing some fish species and covers submerged aquatic plants living in shallow waters. These changes are harmful to aquatic organisms in natural water bodies.

According to Diane C Jette, Ph. D, BioMedica Diagnostics Inc, the Nitrite in urine is typically 13 – 22 umol/liter. The higher level, 22 umol/liter is equivalent to about 1.4mg/L, considerably less than even a state of the art waste treatment plant is likely to provide.
Sail2nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 07:40   #69
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I’m guessing the mass majority of those using and enjoying composting heads have made the switch from the standard Marine setup for various reasons. In other words they have been educated on both systems. I’m also guessing the mass majority who made the switch to the composting system have remained with the composting system. There are some I’m sure who have switched back to the standard system for one reason or another and I respect their choice, the composting system isn’t for everyone but it is a good option for many. I’m also guessing that the mass majority of those who find the need to call the composting system derogatory names such as “litter boxes” have no experience with the composting system and are therefore uneducated or ignorant to the facts that make this a viable system. Where do you stand?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 07:55   #70

Boat: Windrider 17

Well, I belong to the group who had a marine head and a porta potty, then switched to a C Head. I was using my F28R on weekends and for trips of a week or two. I sadly sold my F28R and now sail a little Windrider 17, saving for something for cruising. I now have my CHead mounted in my sprinter conversion van. Never had a bug prob, but always had a little dia earth in my mix. Usually made it through a month in the RV while we were on the road without having to dump the bucket (two of us). Wife says she never smells anything. Me either. Can't clog it, even if you get too much moisture in the dry part (hasn't happened), it's a 5 minute cleaning... I Agree that it's a little fussier than a marine head, but for us it works great. I have it in an enclosed box in my van with an hour-timer attached to a 12v computer fan to vent it once a day. Bug screens on both openings. Happy with it. Wife likes it. Yard likes it..... Even a few sessions of upset stomach didn't overwhelm it, though I added some extra mix afterwards..... IF I installed one in a cruiser, i'd plumb the urine tank to my holding tank, to reduce having to empty the gallon urine bucket.
finleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 08:29   #71
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Not very polite. Also not accurate in any detail. Stick to what you know.

FWIW, and whether you believe it or not is none of my interest, but my last boat had zero stink. I think it should be obvious on the face of it that very expensive boats do quite well with wet systems. Denigrating this obvious truth, is well, embarrassing for you.

That said, I am interested in composting systems. But I'm not going to throw wet systems under the bus if I switch. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Let's play nice.
Old 18-02-2018, 08:34   #72
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail2nite View Post

According to Diane C Jette, Ph. D, BioMedica Diagnostics Inc, the Nitrite in urine is typically 13 – 22 umol/liter. The higher level, 22 umol/liter is equivalent to about 1.4mg/L, considerably less than even a state of the art waste treatment plant is likely to provide.
It is not just nitrite that matters, it is total nitrogen. Urea, for example, converts to ammonia and then nitrate. As a result, you dropped 4 zeros in your calculation. Urea--urine. See the connection?

In fact, urine contributes far more nutrient than the other part, which quickly degrades to CO2 and water. It is in many ways, the main pollutant. Nitrate is only very slowly reduced to nitrogen, so much of it spurs algae blooms.

(I designed and operated plants for a living. I know where the pollutants come from.)
Old 18-02-2018, 09:34   #73

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Not very polite. Also not accurate in any detail. Stick to what you know.

FWIW, and whether you believe it or not is none of my interest, but my last boat had zero stink. I think it should be obvious on the face of it that very expensive boats do quite well with wet systems. Denigrating this obvious truth, is well, embarrassing for you.

That said, I am interested in composting systems. But I'm not going to throw wet systems under the bus if I switch. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Let's play nice.
I agree on all counts, and have echoed the same remarks. Indeed, most compost head users say similar things.

The frustration I, and obviously others feel, is the constant insulting, badgering and misinformation we see come from some posters here. Posters like myself, who’s only interest is to respond to questions or concerns, and possibly learn a few new tips, are constantly faced with insulting comments from people who should know better.

On this thread a whole new low has been reached, by first Peggy, and then a couple of others, equating me and other composter users with being religious evangelists out to “recruit converts.” They have called us zealots, “brain washers,” and has even compared our comments to those of ISIS’ recruitment techniques.

I have tried to respond calmly, and provide actual informed information to people posing questions. But I am fed up with with constant bullying and insults coming from some here.

Enough.
Old 18-02-2018, 10:03   #74

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Lee View Post

Prior boat had holding tank and always stank. No odor w/ composting head even when it fails and is a fruitfly breeder. A friend's boat Electrosan smelled like Electronsan. I can now recognize the smell readily.
Which version does your friend's boat have? Original version is called Lectrasan. The newer computerized version is called ElectroScan and is what we have.
Our ElectroScan doesn't smell at all. Several people have commented on how fresh our boat is.

I suppose it's hard to describe a smell, but I'm curious as to what this smell would be like. Burnt, undersized wiring?

When I need to go, it's just something that needs to be done.
Maybe I'm wrong, but some of these posts make it sound like using a composter is almost a hobby.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 10:53   #75

Boat: 33' Nonsuch

I have a natures head, and love it. I use coconut coir and the trick to avoiding gnats is not hydrating the coconut coir too much. I have 4 bottles for the urine that I can swap out. No odor at all and very simple to decommission for the winter. The time I did have gnats, moth crystals were instantly effective. I’m a satisfied customer and feel as though I’ve sidestepped a world of head-related problems.
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting