Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2020, 09:19   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Composting Head - Solids Disposal at Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
That is the primary reason I believe sooner or later it will become a regulated issue. Not because of the dangers, per say, but because of that one idiot with 3 functional brain cells whose kid has had the flu for days and he decides to empty his liquid stool filled bucket without even a bag. I have seen truck drivers do it in parking lots with a restroom 25 yards away.
Sadly, I agree. It's just too bad we (the societal "we") can't get ahead of this, and set up the infrastructure needed to manage this effluent. As you say, it should be easy to set up. We already accommodate boats that carry liquid effluent, so there's no reason we can't set up a system to safely collect and process this material.
Old 27-01-2020, 09:43   #32

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Interesting thread.

We have lived aboard full time for the last 5 years with 2 composting toilets. We spend winters in the same marina managed by the port authority (= lots of rules). The marina management have come on every live aboard boat and taken pictures of the heads in order to comply with one of the discharge laws. They're fully aware of what composting/desiccating toilets are so there's no explaining needed.

From what I can tell, the only people put off by the entire process are the ones that don't have them. We entertain quite a bit and have never been told our boat smells. The only problems have come from "users" that don't understand the rules of keeping liquids and solids separate - usually kids and confirmed land lubbers.

All the hoopla is just that - hoopla. (I've always wanted to use that word - my day is complete!)
Old 27-01-2020, 09:50   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Do dogs carry the Hepatitis or cholera virus?
You know, I had to Google this.

After a quick Google, the answer is yes. Yes they do. And rabies and they eat feces and dead animals off the ground, etc.

Filthy in comparison to my dessicant head. I'm immunized against Hepatitis A and B and pretty sure I don't have cholera. Ha ha ha.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 10:04   #34

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Bagging the contents and disposing in a dumpster is no different, in fact better than throwing diapers in the trash. See no health problems for marina workers unless they are in the habit of dumpster diving for their meals.
I love this comment from Peter and heartily agree. We love our composting toilet and when we bag up its contents for disposal, no one knows what's in the bag and it is certainly no worse than diapers.

One possible problem is if you only have one head and switch to a composting toilet which is not connected to a holding tank, might violate boating regulations in your state or country.

We have two heads, and have not used our holding tank since installing our composting toilet 3 years ago. I would love to tear it out and use the space for other things, but because the second head is a standard marine toilet we are required to have a holding tank.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 10:21   #35

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Interesting thread.

We have lived aboard full time for the last 5 years with 2 composting toilets. We spend winters in the same marina managed by the port authority (= lots of rules). The marina management have come on every live aboard boat and taken pictures of the heads in order to comply with one of the discharge laws. They're fully aware of what composting/desiccating toilets are so there's no explaining needed.

From what I can tell, the only people put off by the entire process are the ones that don't have them. We entertain quite a bit and have never been told our boat smells. The only problems have come from "users" that don't understand the rules of keeping liquids and solids separate - usually kids and confirmed land lubbers.

All the hoopla is just that - hoopla. (I've always wanted to use that word - my day is complete!)
Glad to hear such a positive experience. I sincerely hope that continues to be the case. I would expect marina owners, port authority, CG, marine police, etc to be fully aware. My concern for the future would be just this, landfill operators get paid extra when they are required to dispose of human bio waste. Heavily regulated and monitored so they heavily regulate and monitor those delivering refuse. Once some financial guy realizes there is human waste in a load, they will see $$. Those monitoring the dumping are looking for any reason to upcharge, and as a driver it meant nothing to me. If my company got charged more or fined it was passed to the customer who, if a marina, would pass it to the patrons. Construction workers caused these all the time, and the homeowners ended up with the tab.
It may all be hoopla, I honestly don't know if the EPA has an official stance on said waste regarding public landfills. Maybe they do and it's a non issue.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 10:31   #36

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
No, I currently am not dealing with the issue directly. Have just read a few comments here and elsewhere, no idea how factual they are (or if it is just trolling), but want to get a general sense from people who may have encountered the issue.
Okay, we are three pages into responses. You have raised a fair question and the answer appears to be that no one among the group of experienced cruisers and live aboards who have responded know of an example of a marina that imposes restrictions for those with composting toilets. I do not either among the marinas I visit on cruises or long term moorage in the PNW or Western Canada. Appears (at least for now) to be a none issue.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 11:11   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sadly, I agree. It's just too bad we (the societal "we") can't get ahead of this, and set up the infrastructure needed to manage this effluent. As you say, it should be easy to set up. We already accommodate boats that carry liquid effluent, so there's no reason we can't set up a system to safely collect and process this material.
Shouldn't the "we" in this case be those who are selling these toilets?

They should be the ones lobbying for an acceptable solution.

Throwing sewage in the trash as a matter of normal procedure doesn't seem quite correct.

My feeling is that the producers of a product should be the ones concerned with the use and entire lifecycle of it. So manufacturers of plastic should be charged for the cost of recycling plastic. Manufacturers of TVs should be charged the cost of disposing of TVs. And manufacturers of airheads should have to find a way to make their product work in locales where they're used the most - marinas.

This is how you address the pollution problem.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 11:12   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Okay, we are three pages into responses. You have raised a fair question and the answer appears to be that no one among the group of experienced cruisers and live aboards who have responded know of an example of a marina that imposes restrictions for those with composting toilets. I do not either among the marinas I visit on cruises or long term moorage in the PNW or Western Canada. Appears (at least for now) to be a none issue.
Agreed, but I know I'd read somewhere that someplace had banned, or restricted their use. So, a DuckDuck search turned up a thread over at Sailnet: Annapolis bans composting toilets for cruisers on hook?

I know I've also read that some marinas monitor their liveaboard's pump out frequency. If you don't get pumped out, they ... do something I guess. Since most composter heads aren't plumbed to a larger holding tank that can be pumped out, I suppose this too could be a challenge.

If I were to encounter such a ban I would take my business () somewhere else. The world is a big place. The joys of being a cruiser is that if you don't like the neighbourhood you can always move on.
Old 27-01-2020, 11:23   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Shouldn't the "we" in this case be those who are selling these toilets? They should be the ones lobbying for an acceptable solution.
I have no knowledge either way as to their lobbying activities, but it would make good business sense if they are.

I wonder if standard marine head producers had to lobby to have pump out facilities installed. Kinda doubt it.

Quote:
Throwing sewage in the trash as a matter of normal procedure doesn't seem quite correct.
No ... nor does dumping dog poop or soiled diapers or used feminine hygiene products seem correct either, but it is common practice. And as someone posted earlier, modern landfills are designed with these things in mind. The material that comes out of marina composter is certainly not worse than these, and in reality is somewhat better.

Quote:
My feeling is that the producers of a product should be the ones concerned with the entire lifecycle of it. So manufacturers of plastic should be charged for the cost of recycling plastic. Manufacturers of TVs should be charged the cost of disposing of TVs. And manufacturers of airheads should have to find a way to make their product work in locales where they're used the most - marinas.
I'm with ya . ALL manufacturers should be responsible for the lifecycle of their products. Sadly, I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Old 27-01-2020, 11:51   #40

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

You place your pet stuff in the trash, right. Not much different with composting toilet residue. You can also place in flower beds, etc as fertilizer. Little if any biohazard.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 11:54   #41

Quote:

My feeling is that the producers of a product should be the ones concerned with the use and entire lifecycle of it. So manufacturers of plastic should be charged for the cost of recycling plastic. Manufacturers of TVs should be charged the cost of disposing of TVs. And manufacturers of airheads should have to find a way to make their product work in locales where they're used the most - marinas.

This is how you address the pollution problem.
Does this pertain to Oil companies = oil spills ?
Chemical companies.? Mines? Derelict boats?
Parents? oops.
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 12:07   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Composting is a misnomer for these heads. They are realy desicating heads
Much better appelation.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 13:07   #43

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I can see their point, if you dispose of your solids bucket contents in the marina trash receptacle as soon as it gets full then your last deposits will not be composted.

I could see having two buckets, and continuing composting on the full one for 'x' days or weeks (that means stirring and oxygen, so not a sit and forget item). Or double-bagging and sealing. Disposal as green waste after composting. Agreement simply not to dispose of at marina. Lots of options, but curious what others have run into.
My C-Head came with a lid and fittings so that you can add a second bucket to allow further drying/composting with ventilation. That would solve any issue about the waste being offensive.
Old 27-01-2020, 14:40   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Re: Composting Head illegal in Ga waters

Now that Ga. HB 201 has taken effect as of Jan. 1st of this year.. composting heads maybe deemed illegal in Ga. waters...

https://c-headsmartandsimple.com/201...tzMc#more-1016
AA3JY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 14:50   #45

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII
Re: Composting Head illegal in Ga waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Now that Ga. HB 201 has taken effect as of Jan. 1st of this year.. composting heads maybe deemed illegal in Ga. waters...

https://c-headsmartandsimple.com/201...tzMc#more-1016
Someone needs to inform Georgia that we have already invested 3 pages in this thread, decided it was ok, and they need to back off....just sayin'
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, marinas, posting